“gone down hill since lady manager”

The Blue Peter Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery
Ranked #335 of 578 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
derby
“gone down hill since lady manager”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

me and my other half eat here every Sunday without a doubt since 3 weeks ago the meals we're big cheap and very tasty. ever since seeing this blonde manager and how she watches over the staff you get a 1 piece of meat or 2 if your lucky and dry vegetables. feel sorry for the staff. won't be coming here again! take note people!!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank rebzticklex

Derby, United Kingdom
“Not happy”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Took my partner out a few weeks ago and was disappointed. They had no stuffing, the chefs uniform was dirty, the Yorkshire came out ten minutes after the meal, the beef looked raw and the turkey looked burnt. They also had a few empty pots of veg. Such an embarrassment and the staff should be ashamed unlike the bar lady who was on show playing on her mobile!!! Needs sorting out before I step foot in that place again!!!

Visited December 2013
Derby, England
“Very good spread.”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I recently attending the wake of an old friends brother at The Blue Peter and I can only praise the new landlady for the delicious food she provided in the form of a buffet. There was everything you could wish for provided and all of it was presented very well. I can't comment on the carvery at this time as I haven't eaten there for quite a while but I think the new landlady will make sure it's all good..

• Visited January 2014
england
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Year's Eve”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Went to the New Year's Eve party, when we got there they were quite a lot of people. There was a buffet which was included in the admission fee,the buffet haven't been catered for the amount of people that was there,so we got no food,and some of the customers were piling their plates with food that it was dropping off the plate as they were walking across the floor with it.There were kids running and rolling all over the floor and did this until the end of the night which was 1 o'clock in the morning. In the ladies toilets there was urine on the floor in both toilets and was left there all night, also the toilet seat was handing off. Just before midnight the bar staff came from behind the bar to bring the new year in, they reopen the bar about 15 minutes later by then there was a good queue of people waiting to buy drinks, there were four members of staff behind the bar what only two was serving, I noticed there was a few people that was jumping to the front of the queue, but then realised that they were friends of the manager whom she gave priority to and some of the people that was in the queue wasn't happy about it,but how the saying goes not what you know it's who you know

• Visited December 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“Not such a merry Xmas dinner”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Before I start my review I need to point out that the Blue Peter is probably at the bottom end, price wise, of the Christmas Day dinner options in Derby. However that does not excuse the disappointing meal I have just had to suffer.
We had booked in plenty of time but still ended up with a table that not only was directly next to a bizarre 'window' that looked on to the main bar but was also on the main pathway to the toilets from the main bar (which was very busy). Eating my Christmas lunch with an audience of drinkers is not my ideal way to pass a couple of hours.
The starter was passable - a slab of smoked salmon, prawns, dressing and a slice of brown Hovis artistically crafted into triangles.
The main however was - how best to describe this? - a standard carvery with the addition of turkey, stuffing and brussel sprouts. I should have guessed this as the normal day-to-day fare for the Blue Peter is carvery however maybe I was expecting something better at Christmas but I was sadly disappointed. The meat was dry and the trimmings were unappetising, even though we were reasonably to the front of the very long queue.
My pudding was inedible! It should have been apple strudel but turned out to be warm cardboard rolled around apple, dried fruit and something with the consistency of breakfast cereal topped off with golden syrup and a dollop of ice cream. It was obviously made in the kitchen because no self respecting commercial baker would allow something like that to hit the streets. The chef should be thoroughly ashamed of him or herself for serving something as truly appalling as that and expecting people to pay for it.
If it wasn't for the fact that I had paid in advance a not insignificant amount, giving the surroundings and the quality of food, for my Christmas Day lunch and had two very large glasses of house red (that struggled in vain to make the food palatable), I probably would have walked out half way through. I didn't, and persevered to the end of this, never to be repeated, experience.

• Visited December 2013