“Very chilling”

National Sikh Heritage Centre & Holocaust Museum
Ranked #54 of 83 things to do in Derby
Reviewed 22 June 2014

For some strange reason photography is totally banned here - though to be fair it isn't that kind of place so don't be put off.

Overall it explains the strife that Sikhs have gone through including some awful holocaust style attempts at exterminating them that the British (and I am white British) should feel utterly ashamed about as we simply stood by and let it happen.

Very sobering and you'll learn lots - but what you learn will not make you feel proud to be British.

Very friendly people there who answer questions in a calm,unbiased way and you never feel like you are being preached to, judged or converted.

I'd suggest it isn't a great place for younger children - visit first to assess.

1  Thank Steven S

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The museum a lovely place to visit and has a lot interesting artifacts relating to the Sikh community. I would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank Rummy G
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Sort of open.I visited in its narrow open window on a Saturday. It is located opposite a temple in what might be called the temple compound. It is in converted industrial units and there are roller shutter doors rattling in the wind hidden by displays.

It was unattended and I don't think all the lights were on. It seems to be being used as a school though whether full time, just at times of worship or merely as overspill is unclear. That may explain the odd opening times.

As a museum it fails. I learnt little of Sikh culture and little of history. The focus is almost entirely martial and on atrocities and oppression. Personally i found the juxtoposition of schoolrooms and militarist texts somewhat unsettling. It all has the feel of something that was a good idea in 2008/9 and has withered. It is mostly display boards but there are, I think, audio devices that proclaim "press me". I gave up after trying 4 with no response.

As unmanned (and given the male military focus i will stick at "unmanned"), obviously no refreshements. No sign of toilets either.

3  Thank Crant0ck
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Visited museum yesterday only to find it closed and no details on the door.It opens for a couple of hours only before lunch and again for a couple of hours in the evening. We did arrive at 1100 hrs and as stated it was deserted. I think this is a pretty poor showing. Fortunately we did not have too far to travel, but this is no excuse.

2  Thank Stuartbuxton
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Have tried on three seperate occassions to access this attraction, once in the day time (opening time 1000-1200) and twice in the evening (opening time 1800-2000) and each time it was shut. On the first two occassions I was told (by people who work opposite this attraction) that someone would be there the next time to let me in, but no-one ever turned up. If this is in fact the "National" Sikh Heritage Centre & Holocaust Museum it is a shambolic way to run this attraction.

2  Thank johnhp702