The brief summary is:
- Plenty of free parking & location;
- Large bedrooms;
- Reasonably priced (great value for a family with children).
- Breakfast service;
- Bad shower temperature;
- Hairs on floor of bathroom!
Expanding on the pros first.
The hotel is located close to Derby train station and there is plenty of free parking exclusively for hotel guests. There are also a few restaurants nearby (e.g. there is a Chiquito across the road where you get 20% off if you show your keycard).
The rooms are generously sized. We had a double bed and sofa bed, which would be enough for a couple and two small children. TV had all the freeview channels and there was no noise coming from outside (either because the windows were thick or we were just in a quiet area)!
This 3* hotel is priced similarly to nearby hotels and the 4* Holiday Inn. However, I think it represents good value as you have to factor in that breakfast (for all guests) and parking is included here, which can amount to a significant saving.
Now onto the bad points.
The designated breakfast seating area was packed when we turned up so we had to sit in the bar area (which actually had the nicest seats)! However, breakfast is served as a buffet in a little room off to the side and is far too cramped for weekend capacity. Food quickly runs out and the hot food is put in containers that are really difficult to push all the way open unless you're really tall - I struggled and I'm 5'10''! There were baked beans all over the counter and I was a little surprised no eggs were served. I thought the traditional HIE hot items were sausages, beans and eggs? I supposed 2 out of 3 isn't bad.
This was disappointing on two fronts. Firstly the shower ran unpredictably hot and cold. I'm not sure if we were unlucky with the time we were showing (8am) but we tried tweaking with the power and temperature but things didn't improve. However, the biggest drawback was the cleanliness of the bathroom. When we first went in, we noticed there were quite a few 'hairs' on the floor around the toilet! YUCK! For me one of the most important things in a hotel is a clean, hygienic bathroom.
All in all, an average stay. I've certainly stayed in significantly better Holiday Inn Express hotels. From a value point of view though, I don't think you can get much better than this hotel around Derby, particularly if you were travelling as a family with kids (since breakfast is included for all guests).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose the Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park hotel for a peaceful location 10 minutes' walk from Derby town centre. Our modern hotel in Derby is located within the Pride Park business and retail complex, just 10 minutes' walk from Derby train station and a short drive from the A1. Friendly staff and a convenient location mean guests return to Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park again and again. We're a good-value choice too, with free parking, complimentary continental breakfast with hot items and free Wi-Fi access throughout. Plus all of our bedrooms have recently been refurbished and feature a cool new look, we've added irons, ironing boards, better hairdryers and much more! There's space for up to 25 people at events in Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park's meeting room and wireless Internet throughout the hotel means you can catch up on email anytime. Direct trains speed you from nearby Derby station to Birmingham and central London and we're within easy reach of Rolls Royce's factories and offices. It's 29 miles to the stately grandeur and landscaped riverside gardens of Chatsworth House, while the thrilling rides in Alton Towers theme park are just 26 miles away. Pass through picturesque Matlock Bath en route to the dramatic moors of the Peak District, an hour's drive from the hotel. Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park's stylish Lobby bar is decorated in bold red and black and lined with leather sofas. There's a selection of restaurants within the Pride Park complex and you can ask our helpful Front Desk staff for dining recommendations in Derby town centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park Hotel Derby
- Holiday Inn Derby
- Derby Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park Derbyshire