“Good value for families, poor bathroom” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park

Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Midlands
“Good value for families, poor bathroom”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

The brief summary is:

Pros:
- Plenty of free parking & location;
- Large bedrooms;
- Reasonably priced (great value for a family with children).

Cons:
- Breakfast service;
- Bad shower temperature;
- Hairs on floor of bathroom!

Expanding on the pros first.

Location
The hotel is located close to Derby train station and there is plenty of free parking exclusively for hotel guests. There are also a few restaurants nearby (e.g. there is a Chiquito across the road where you get 20% off if you show your keycard).

Bedrooms
The rooms are generously sized. We had a double bed and sofa bed, which would be enough for a couple and two small children. TV had all the freeview channels and there was no noise coming from outside (either because the windows were thick or we were just in a quiet area)!

This 3* hotel is priced similarly to nearby hotels and the 4* Holiday Inn. However, I think it represents good value as you have to factor in that breakfast (for all guests) and parking is included here, which can amount to a significant saving.

Now onto the bad points.

Breakfast
The designated breakfast seating area was packed when we turned up so we had to sit in the bar area (which actually had the nicest seats)! However, breakfast is served as a buffet in a little room off to the side and is far too cramped for weekend capacity. Food quickly runs out and the hot food is put in containers that are really difficult to push all the way open unless you're really tall - I struggled and I'm 5'10''! There were baked beans all over the counter and I was a little surprised no eggs were served. I thought the traditional HIE hot items were sausages, beans and eggs? I supposed 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Bathroom
This was disappointing on two fronts. Firstly the shower ran unpredictably hot and cold. I'm not sure if we were unlucky with the time we were showing (8am) but we tried tweaking with the power and temperature but things didn't improve. However, the biggest drawback was the cleanliness of the bathroom. When we first went in, we noticed there were quite a few 'hairs' on the floor around the toilet! YUCK! For me one of the most important things in a hotel is a clean, hygienic bathroom.

All in all, an average stay. I've certainly stayed in significantly better Holiday Inn Express hotels. From a value point of view though, I don't think you can get much better than this hotel around Derby, particularly if you were travelling as a family with kids (since breakfast is included for all guests).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pandaexplorer
Sean-Bromley, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Pride Park.

It is disappointing to see that you had issues with the cleanliness in the bathroom during your stay. Cleanliness plays a huge part in our focus as a hotel, we take great pride in usually scoring very highly on this, so please accept my sincere apologies that during your stay we fell short of the usually high standards we set.

I was pleased to read that you found us good value for money, we feel that we are competitively priced, particularly when booked in advance, where our rates can sometimes be as much as 50% cheaper.

Hopefully in the future you will afford us the opportunity to show you that we are much better than your experience this time around.

Sean Bromley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay this time but called in as I couldn't my way back to EM airport .
Top marks to the guy on reception
He printed off google map directions for me
Thanks again buddy!!
Ur an asset to this hotel.
If I'm back in this area I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

It is particularly pleasing that even when guests don't stay with us they have such a pleasant experience. We find it important that guests (weather staying or not) receive a warm and courteous welcome, and are offered the best service possible.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the relevant member of staff.

East Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a trip using 3 holiday inn express. This was definitely our favourite. It was the smallest room out of the 3 but the friendliness and welcome from the staff just made it. We had quite a bad journey there so smiling faces at reception with the kind of welcome you would get if you were staying with relatives was perfect. Also it has a good location with harvester and a Mexican restaurant just over the road. (20% off the restaurant for hotel guests and really yummy)
You are able to bring take-away and fast food (there is burger king and kfc 2 minutes in the car away)to the hotel and eat it in the breakfast area which was handy as we got back from alton towers late and the kids were too tired for a restaurant.
Breakfast was good, load to choose.
Next time we go to alton towers I won't even be shopping around for the best price I will just book here. It is a 40 minute drive but that saves us 40 minutes on the journey there and back home and is more than manageable either side of the alton towers trip (after all you wait longer than that for the rides lol)
Home from home feeling.
Also a big thank you to Susan for tracking down my sons comfy toy that we had left in another hotel. We picked it up on our way back and it is now safe and sound.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank 10veh01idays
Dear guest,

Such great feedback always pleases us, and shows us that we are making great strides in our effort
to provide guests with the perfect stay.

I am pleased to see that you were impressed with the location, been far enough away from town to miss any noise, but close enough should you want a short walk is something that a number of guests appreciate. Coupled with the fact that guests don't have to travel far for food, we find people are often extremely satisfied with the location.

I am also happy that you took advantage of our complimentary express start breakfast. We find that offering the three hot items of sausage, egg, and beans on top of the continental breakfast is extremely popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Newport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights 20/21 Aug 14 lovely hotel family rooms are small but perfectly workable. The lift was out of action which was a real pain lugging cases up and down stairs. Also check your bill we were early charged with an £8 bar bill which wasn't ours!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean-Bromley, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see you scored us so highly for our cleanliness, with such great focus going in to this from the team, it is pleasing to see our guests are noticing how clean the hotel is.

I was sorry to read about the lift been out of order, it would seem that on this particular day we were waiting for some maintenance work to be done, so please accept my sincere apologies that this impacted on your stay.

On a more pleasing note, I was pleased to see you scored us 5 stars for our service, put simply, the service we provide is paramount to a guest been able to enjoy there stay.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Went to stay on 19th august after a long day from Alton towers... Staff was very friendly, rooms was superb no complains... Breakfast was great with all hot items every thing fresh... Had great time staying in Holiday inn derby...

• Stayed August 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express over 2 nights, with my 2 teenage boys, to attend a football match at Pride Park. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the stadium and is also a short 5 minute walk from Derby Railway Station and 10 minutes from the Town Centre. There are a number of restaurants within a minute of the hotel.
On arrival we were checked in without delay and the staff were friendly. Our room was on the second floor which can be accessed by lift or stairs and we found it to be clean and tidy and the pull out double bed was already made up for our arrival.
During our stay the staff were friendly and very helpful and attended to our every need. Having 2 teenagers and using the free wifi which isn't the fastest I asked at reception if we could buy the upgraded wifi which cost £3 per day. I was given a code free of charge and shown how to input it into my tablet so the boys had the better and speedier internet access.
The hotel bar area is reasonably priced and the all inclusive breakfast was great as with two growing boys they do like to eat. There was a variety of fried breakfast, cereals, toast, croissants, juice, coffee, tea and much more...
We stayed in the hotel over a busy period with most of the rooms being hired by travelling football fans yet we never had any bother apart from on the second night we had music blaring from the room next to us. The night manager quickly gained access to the room and switched it off.....No problem!
There was a customer service employee who we had a great laugh with during our stay and it was he who tended to our every needs and sorted out the free wifi for the boys. I believe his name was Sean. At the end of our stay we filled in a customer satisfaction form nominating Sean for an award which I believe he would have received a half bottle of wine for his efforts.
Overall I enjoyed my stay in the Holiday Inn Express and would recommend it to all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Exactly what we wanted. Hen party so we needed to be close to the town, which we were and we wanted rooms close together which they were. Half of the party were down for breakfast early and managed to get sausages and scrambled eggs, however when the other half came down there was no tables left, no food left and when the food did come out it was gone straight away before any of our party could get any. Food overall was a disappointment due to lack of choice but I suppose you get what you pay for and the hotel was fairly cheap.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sean-Bromley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Derby Pride Park, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Riley1993,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was less than satisfactory and I would therefore like to apologise for the fact that you were unable to fully enjoy this part of your stay.

We are a very busy hotel during the summer months, and as our three hot breakfast items are cooked freshly, this can sometimes cause a delay for guests. Our breakfast service is available from 07:00 - 11:00 on weekend days and some guests do find that by taking breakfast either early or late it can be a more relaxing experience.

I am pleased to see that on a more positive note, you have scored the cleanliness of our rooms and customer service skills of the hotel team very highly.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Regards,