Best Western The Stuart Hotel
US$105
US$92
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Aston Court Hotel(Derby)(Great Value!)
US$74
Priceline
US$90
Priceline
1,184 results
All reviewscity centrefree car parkingfull englishrailway stationexcellent value for moneywestfield
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at the Stuart hotel on our overnight trip to Derby, The staff were very friendly and the food was great, BUT......Our room was on the 3rd floor and outside our window was the air conditioning units which were very noisy and went off every 7 minutes (for 5 minutes at a time....like clockwork - ALL night!!)
We were obviously at the 'hostel' end of the hotel as the rooms all around us were full of teenagers who were having parties in their room till 11pm and then started again at 4am!
Maybe we just chose a bad time to stay there but definitely wouldn't stay there again. :o(

Room Tip: The middle of the westfield centre on a busy saturday afternoon would be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leanne H
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I've had to stay at The Stuart Hotel several times with work and now wished I'd taken the time to find somewhere else. Apart from being inconsistent each time I've stayed there there are a number of things letting it down.

The cleanliness of the rooms isn't always great, the quality of the food goes from good to very poor each time, the hotel has the heating on the hottest setting the whole and you can't turn the radiators. On top of this you have to leave the windows open which means you get all the noise from the city centre traffic. One other thing that also lets it down is the car park. There are too many spaces taken up disabled bays and the hotel doesn't clamp down on guests taking up several spaces with poor parking.

It has the potential to be much better but it needs to have a review throughout for everything it does.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip to Derby. Got a great deal on an online booking website so ended up paying around £35 for the room. Suffice to say I wasn't expecting much! Hotel was a pleasant surprise. Not luxury by any means but very much fit for purpose. Some touches of a more expensive hotel such as welcome chocolates and a personalised welcome message on the TV. Very good location in Derby.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed at the Stuart Hotel on London Road in Derby last weekend for a family wedding in the City.

What amazing value!!!

We booked through a last minute web site several weeks in advance and got 2 double rooms for a total of £49. That's 4 adults at circa £12 each plus a baby FOC! At those prices our expectation was not great. What we actually got was a modern well furnished Hotel with very spacious rooms and all the facilities you could expect including a fridge in the room. All this and free parking just several hundred yards from the city centre.

Check it out!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe F
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here on business and despite some of the poor reviews, I was pleasantly surprised. As a regular business traveler, I tend to stay in Jury's Inns, Holiday Inns etc - the McDonalds of the Hotel world - the same everywhere, but at least you know what you are getting!

So when I book an independent hotel, it is always with a little trepidation, but my fears were unwarranted in this case.

The exterior of the hotel is well presented. Glass doors look into a nicely lit reception. A minor niggle about checking in - it was very efficient but also very impersonal. I felt like I was processed rather than welcomed and a smile wouldn't have gone amiss.

I stayed in room 328 - up a couple of flights of stairs (no lift) and at the back of the hotel.

The room was pretty good - decor was near perfect, the complimentary bathrobe and slippers were lovely to put on after a bath and the desk was an ample size to work on. Well, it was once I had put the old CRT television on the floor - an antiquated behemoth that kind of looked out of place in an otherwise beautiful room.

I was slightly disappointed that I ended up with 2 single beds shoved together; I naturally ended up sleeping on one side rather than in the middle (which I prefer) but the mattress was comfortable and the pillows, duvet and bedding were fine.

There was an air conditioning unit in the room, as well as a radiator, so temperature control was at my hands - something I am always pleased about.

It's also nice to have an ironing board, tea making facilities (including biscuits - very important! lol) and a fridge in the room: it would have been nice if the free bottle of mineral water had been left in the fridge rather than on the side, but that's a subjective comment and doesn't detract from the overall quality.

The free wired broadband was perfect - I plugged it in and started surfing immediately - no messing about ringing reception for passwords etc... as I have experienced in other hotels.

Minor complaints - the were 4 holes in the bath panel, which detracted from my overall impression of the room and the bath itself is pretty small. I'm only 5' 6" and I had to choose whether to submerge my torso or my legs - it wasn't big enough to do both at the same time.

Also, a cracked tile in the bathroom - small stuff, but I mention it only as an opportunity for the hotel management to improve what is already an excellent room.

The bar was disgracefully overpriced - £3.50 for a pint of cola out of the pump. I also wasn't overly impressed with the menu so I ate out - but again, that's a subjective comment - you pays your money you takes your choice.

A point to note - if you get room 110 - 112 or 210 - 212 then you are going to be next to the stairs and have people like me clumping up and down them all night going for a cigarette; I'm not sure why I bothered because the corridor outside my room stank of smoke (I noticed it and I'm a smoker!) so folk had obviously been lighting up nearby.

I also noticed a lot of room doors were slightly ajar. The room opposite me was slightly ajar and there was a constant echoing drip coming from there - it sounded like the video game Silent Hill which freaked me out a bit - I just wanted to get past it as soon as I could.

Breakfast was fantastic - especially the scrambled eggs. The full english is ordered rather than buffet, although it came so quickly that I can't believe it isn't on a buffet in the kitchen; still - very good quality. I did ask for white toast but was given white and brown - I'm not going to cry over it, but still, it wasn't what I asked for. The restaurant staff, like the reception staff, were efficient, but not really friendly. I noticed this trait again on checkout and I started to wonder if smiling had been forbidden by management!

The minor complaints aside, it was a great room, great value, efficient staff and a fantastic location - I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel, away from the staircase.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business