“Good value”

Best Western The Stuart Hotel
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Derby
“Good value”
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I paid under 40 pounds for a night here and cant complain. Free parking, polite staff, nice clean double room, the people who say there are no tea making facilities clearly didn't look in the drawers as that's where the kettle is kept! Overall very satisfied and very happy with the room for the price :) I'd happily stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I booked for four nights at a good price, then read some additional reviews. It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I came to this hotel. However my fears were allayed. Reception staff were polite and efficient. My room was very clean and well maintained. Yes the walls are a bit thin but no more than any other hotel in this price range. Bed is comfortable. Overall good value

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was a Groupon deal and when we were shopping at the Westfield we thought why not, now wish we hadn't bothered.
We were first there and seated in the bar before being taken to the restaurant. The male server was very polite and that was the best part of the episode.
The coffee was awful, I meant it was really bitter not top quality bitter but cheap coffee, even with sugar and drowning it in milk it still couldn't hide the taste.
The sandwiches were not fresh whether they were prepared earlier and left out the crusts were hard and you could feel the bread was not soft and springy to the touch.

Then the cake stand, the lemon drizzle cake was cut wafer thin, the Victoria Sponge was hard as well, I had to leave it you could see it wasn't cooked in the middle!
The scones were again heavy and stodgy, the butter was infant margarine, very cheap jelly/jam and the "clotted cream" was off as I lifted the teaspoon out of it only to pull the whole lump out which had a hard base!

We have had cream teas and afternoon teas from Devon to Northumberland and they were so much better than this.

No wonder they are on Groupon they are awful.

Again no-one came to ask if everything was ok , now I know why because I would have said no. The staff obviously know this and run off and hide in the back.

Take the 2 minute walk to the Westfield Centre and go to Costa Coffee cheaper and better.

Free advice avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsDisney2013
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I don't like to leave a bad review, but ... I went to the Stuart Hotel with friends today for afternoon tea. We shall not return. We were served sandwiches which had clearly sat around for a while as the bread had dried out. The cakes were brought out, but the sponge cake was not cooked at all, the middle of the cake was completely raw, so much so that we were not sure that it was actually meant to be sponge. None of us could eat any of it. The scones are served with ordinary cream, not clotted as is usual with scones. No one returned at any time whilst we were there to ask if everything was ok, or to offer more tea. As we got up to leave a member of staff walked through the dining room, so we asked what kind of cake it was. When she told us that it was Victoria sponge, we showed her that it was uncooked. She said "Right, I'll tell him, thanks for letting us know"! No apology was offered, and no one came to say anything about it. If I was you, I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank B M
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here midweek, booking through an online site. The room was pre-paid, but on check we were asked for a credit card as a retainer, which is generally normal practice in hotels so we thought nothing more of it. Until my boyfriend checked his statement later in the week to see he had been charged by the hotel - so had paid twice. He rang the hotel to be told the accountant was not available so he had to send an email. He was eventually refunded the money, though I would question how often this happens.

The room was very small. Don't stay here if you want a lie in, as the cleaning staff come in at 8.30 and shout to each other down the corridor. They could be heard swearing about the hot water running out! Needless to say we will not stay here again and will look elsewhere in Derby, which is a shame as the location of this hotel is good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Uttoxresident
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Needed a hotel to visit family. Saw this place online and thought it would be ok. Booked and that was the biggest mistake! I read the reviews and my god every one is bad, so, i called them up and asked if i could cancel my booking, to be told that there is a no refund policy on the booking we made. Fair enough, however surely the second night could be refunded. No, staff are clueless and i was passed around. Eventually spoke to Stuart, some sort of financial guy, again i was told the same thing. So basically i decided to be honest, i said the hotels reviews are so poor that i was trying to cancel, Stuart assured me that the hotel was far from what people had described and was great, hes in charge so i decided to go with his advice, and seen as though we had spent £80 we thought we may as well go and check it out.

Pulled up around 10ish, groups of what looked like 18 year old boys and girls smoking and drinking outside, music pumping out generally an intimidating environment. It looked like the beginnings of a school disco. I had seen enough, my partner went inside to get the key and was asked 'was it you who tried to cancel earlier?' 'we'll give you a nice room then' WHAT THE HELL!!! Why arent all the rooms nice rooms?? My partner ventured in and came back out to tell me that we were not staying. Everything is dirty, the staff are careless and spent most of their time talking amongst themselves, the rooms where dirty in need of TLC and you could hear the school disco from inside too.

So although advised by what i was told was a Senior member of staff, it was an absolute load of bull. The reassurance was pure lies. I wouldnt believe a word they say.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay try the Hallmark!! Its just round the corner (as we found out, after searching for somewhere to stay) and its lovely.

AVOID THE STUART AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont book any of the rooms - stay elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KittenFluff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

When looking for a venue i always look in this site...sometimes you have to admit we customers can be a bit fussy including myself but on this occasion all, and i mean all reports are very accurate. I went ahead and booked. It was in just the right location for me and my friends and at first sight everything seems ok,reception fine place looks clean enough. On way to the room you can see its in need of TLC,get to allocated room clean beds find bathroom ok.Went out with friends came back just after 11.30 bar was closed apparently because they have had no customers for 2 hours it was decided no one else could have a drink! We asked for the bar to open and after much moaning they offered magners cider in bottles like it or lump it. Oh it gets worse....paid for breakfast we heard not told there would be 25 minutes wait never had that before,because we had coffee and oj 1/2 a bowel of rice chrispies we could only have 1/2 the price back..boys and girls who work there must have this on a regular basis i think,its a management problem.

Room Tip: look at this site we all cant be wrong
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends