“Checkout problems”

Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Checkout problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel fairly nice overall. Checkout problem meant I was late for an appointment. Breakfast was average, but included in the price. You get what you pay for I suppose. The location would be good for the football stadium. Close to major roads so easy to use for travelling elsewhere

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

On arrival car park is at rear down a tight alley that was not well lit at night, person on reception was polite, friendly and efficient.
Room was spacious enough but carpet needed replacing and bed was squeaky.
Felt whole accommodation area and corridors need sprucing up.

• Stayed May 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was given VIP tickets as a guest of Ducati during race day of the World Superbikes at Donington Park. The organiser decided that we should meet up the night before so we dont have such a long drive on sunday morning. As it was a last minute thing there wasnt much choice of hotels to stay at near the circuit. This was one of the closest that had availability. The pictures on the web look quite nice but when we pulled up into the carpark we were met with a much different picture. Red brick with plastic white windows. Very dull looking and the car park was riddled with pot holes. I was given a lift to the hotel. I dont think i would like to leave my car in the carpark over night. Not sure if there are cameras. Once you get to reception it doesnt look too bad. A little dated but ok. If you expect a motel kind of building you wont go far wrong. I have stayed in Best Western hotels before but never any like this one. The staff were friendly enough and the booking in process fairly straight forward. I was given my door card and off i went to my room. On arrival to my room the door card wouldnt work. I walked all the way back to reception and waited for my turn again. I advised them it wouldnt work so it was reprogrammed and off i went. On arrival to the door, this time it worked but as i entered i soon realised that someone else was already occupying it. Once it sunk in i quickly exited the room and walked back to reception. They apologised and gave me a different room number. It worked this time and there was no one else in there either. It was supposed to be an executive room but i wouldnt have said so. There was no trouser press in the room or iron. No complimentary drinks apart from one small water bottle. The TV was only about 17". The view from the room was straight down to the grotty carpark i had just parked in. All i could see was red brick walls and plastic windows. It was fairly quiet though even with the windows open all night. I did get woken by a boy racer at 04.30am doing burnouts up the main road but not really the hotels fault and can happen anywhere. The room was clean and the bed felt comfortable. I slept well but i had a few glasses of wine which always helps!!! The toilet roll holder was falling off the wall in the bathroom, the WC was stained and the shower had hardly any pressure. It was like washing with a mist system. Apart from that the bathroom was clean and the towels were fresh! The bar only seemed to have one type of white wine. Not sure about anything else. We ate out so dont know what the restaurant is like. In the morning i went down to breakfast and just had cereal. As you would expect. I didnt have the cooked breakfast so again i cannot comment. Check out was straight forward and we were on our way. To summarise.....if you are in the area for work or need somewhere fairly close to Donington Park Race Circuit then it serves it purpose. If you want somewhere romantic or luxurious look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 324 and it wasnt above the bar or next to the road. Views onto carpark :(
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
StuartSales, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Stuart Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01332 340633.

Hyde, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We always take my mother and father away for a weekend for there birthdays and decided on The Stuart Hotel Derby as it looked nice enough and as I was collecting Best Western rewards points thought it would be somewhere different. The check in service was rather poor with an older gentleman who was really miserable and not friendly checking us in. After we got in the room I noticed 2 bulbs in the bathroom were not working and went back to reception to have them replaced, only to be told by the man on reception this would be done later - We went out for the afternoon and 6 hours later the bulbs had not been replaced, so I went back to reception and a different man who was not working got the bulbs replaced for us without any fuss - he was a lot more helpful on several occasions during our stay. The hotel is ideally placed for the large shopping centre and there is one pub which is in walking distance of the hotel. Apart from that we found Derby rather boring. The restaurant menu is limited and could do with revising to cater for more tastes - the breakfast was very good when it arrived after 30 minutes - at least I know it was freshly cooked. The hotel was extremely busy on the Saturday night and the restaurant only had 1 girl serving and the bar 1 man. Considering that the hotel should have known how many customers were booked in they should have had additional staff working - there were around 30 customers in the bar area mainly watching the football and the 1 man serving at the bar had to keep rushing off to the restaurant to provide drinks to customers in there which wasn't ideal when you had to keep waiting for 10-15 minutes each time to get served. Overall the hotel was clean enough and would be fine if you are attending some function in Derby

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Won weekend passes to Donington and had bed & breakfast at The Stuart thrown in. Great location, stones throw from city centre, near to train & bus station and plenty of restaurants nearby. Clean, comfy rooms and great veggie breakfasts. Only drawback was the constant slamming of doors all of Friday night! Saturday was better. Staff friendly & helpful, and free car pRk massive. would defo stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have (sadly) stayed here twice ... well everywhere deserves a second chance doesnt it?

Oh its terrible, small cramped rooms, two rooms in my time there and two flushes that dont work well, they are not very clean, the staff on the front desk are young and altho try to help they seem lost if something doesnt go by the book for them.
Its so noisy there too, last time I stayed I had to go to reception in tears at 3am, I just wanted to sleep, it seems to be a favourite of stag parties, The poor lad on reception "had a word" but it didnt help.

Id say if you are a gang of loud, drunken people who want to take lots of "guests" to your room, and be very loud in a low cost place, then this is the hotel for you, if you want clean, or to sleep, or to check in in under an hour, then its not good.

I wont be making it 3rd time lucky thats for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

BEST WESTERN The Stuart Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Derby hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

There are few positives about this hotel. It is run down & over crowded. Breakfast is a scramble for a table. If you put a drink down to get some breakfast you will come back to find it tidied & someone else on your table.
I am currently enduring the "entertainmeny" blaring through my floor boards. This is going on til 11.30, hardly reasonable mid week when business customers will be taking. No apology from reception only that I should have been told I would be disturbed on check in.
The room opposite has been forced open. The walls are paper thin. You can hear someones phone vibrate in the next door room.
Unless you're desperate, avoid this hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business