“To be avoided”

Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Derby
London, United Kingdom
“To be avoided”
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We stayed for 1 night on business. The rooms were cramped, overheated, smelly and tiny. We were on the third floor with no lift. What allegedly 3/4 star hotel does not have a lift??? The food was basic but tasty but very overpriced.

Overall I would rfate this as a 2 star. They have pretentions that they cannot live up to. I will noit book here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Gateshead
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We used The Stuart Hotel in November 2009 for our annual company conference and Christmas party. The service we received from Lynsey and her team was second to none from the moment we arrived until we left. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food and rooms were excellent and very good value. In fact we were so happy we are using the hotel again for our company conference in May 2010.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Stevenage, Herts
Reviewed 7 May 2010

This is my third visit to the Stuart and as usual the service you get here is excellent. On this occasion given a complimentary upgrade to my room which was great - bigger room with excellent facilities - very clean and modern. As I was travelling alone I stayed in the hotel for an evening meal as well as having the breakfast included on my booking. The food and service was excellent. Brilliant location for the train station as I had to travel on business to Matlock which is easy to get to from here. There are also a wide variety of restaurants very near to the hotel (on the same road) so whatever type of food you fancy you could get it within walking distance of a few minutes.

I will definately be using the Stuart on my next visit to Derby.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2010

always greeted with a smile. and the staff are friendly and helpful. Great place to relax.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Stuart Hotel last weekend in an executive Double room. We paid just shy of £110 for 2 nights which I thought was good value.

We were greeted by a male receptionist who was very polite and helpful with advising on where to eat as we'd arrived late.

The room was well decorated, clean and comfortable. As previous reviews have commented about the lack of heating, it appears that they have left this on now! We had an A/C unit in our room which we had to leave on for a while to cool the room down but this was fine and not too noisy.

Location wise, the hotel is very central (only a few minutes walk from the centre) with free parking which was good. Being so central, we were pleseantly surprised at the lack of street noise especially being a weekend.

Down points for me were that there didn't appear to be a lift (not essential for us but maybe for disabled visitors) and breakfast was charged at £8.50 which I thought was a bit steep. The noise from other rooms could also get a bit loud but wasn't too much of a bother to us. On our exit we heard a customer complaining about the heating being too hot. She was advised that if she'd told reception, they could have turned it off in their room.

In all, I would say if you're looking for a cheap, convenient hotel close to the city centre with good facilities I don't think you could go far wrong with the Stuart. If I was to return to Derby, I wouldn't hesitate to book again with them.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Used as a base only so did not spend much time in room or hotel but hotel is a great location within walking distance of centre of Derby. Room was clean and tidy and beds comfy. Staff were very friendly and although we only had breakfast, food was good and staff especially pleasant and friendly in the restaurant. The hotel seemed to have lots of business parties and was quiet at night which was ideal.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Howden, England
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Champagne breakfast with friends on wifes birthday was made by Elaine who gave the proffesional touch. I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world but you only get service like this from people who care and know the tricks. Coin in the Champagne cork returned to wife to keep. Flexed the menu to satisfy. Polite, discrete and special. Nothing too much.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends