“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Inn

Hallmark Inn
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Alfreton, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at the European Inn during our househunting trip in Derby. We got a great rate for our week's stay averaging out at around £40 a night. It was just as good as the other hotel chains out there and had a few added benefits. Firstly the staff were great - really friendly and helpful. Secondly the rooms were nice and clean and the free WI-Fi was really appreciated (other hotels are not so forthcoming). But what was really great about the hotel was the location - a 10min walk from the city centre made the hotel a fantastic choice and i would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the East Midlands.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Louis_Mourao, Operation Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Molymoly;
Thank you for such a fantastic review.
I hope your house hunting week was fructuous?
I have passed your comments onto my staff and on their behalf I would like to thank you.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I found this hotel online and as I was travelling up by train to Derby late in the evening I wanted somewhere close to the station which this is. The European is only about 150 yards up the road from the station entrance so fitted the bill well. I got an online price which was very competitive compared to the (probable) competition in Premier Inns, Ibis and Holiday Inn Express. I'm glad I listened to the generally good reviews on Tripadvisor as I was very impressed with the room in general. My only slight complaint (but this is a standard 'UK' one where the local concept is sometimes very different to the rest of the world) would be the power of the shower - but then it did its job so not a huge complaint. Must say the room was far better than the competition - no matter what Lenny Henry says and the TV adverts allege - such as Premier Inns which depress me every time I stay in them they are so basic.
I think someone else mentioned the breakfast positively - well a huge thanks to them, as I might have missed it. I think its SUPERB. For just over eight quid to have grapefruit and orange segments with fresh melon wedges (along with all the other typical bits in the buffet of course) is up there with the best hotels so a big well done to the hotel management.
All-in-all a very good stay that I could easily extend in a future longer visit more than just one night if I needed to.

Room Tip: Book online - the prices seem very competitive
Dear Mamparra;
Thank you for such a great review.
I am glad that “luck” brought you to our hotel and that it was a good surprise. It is always a delight to read about someone pleasantly surprised.
Our breakfast Chef was particularly pleased by your comments; so thank you for making her day!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Was actually pleasantly surprised by this hotel, given the price we paid. The room was clean and had extras I did not expect such as tea and coffee making facilities and toiletries in the bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Water and Ice machines on each floor was another good touch.

The negatives to this hotel were the noise in the rooms from outside. The hotel is on a very busy road a d we were unfortunate to be given a room on this side so ask for the car park side. As the room was very hot we struggled slightly as there is no a/c and due go the noise were unable to open the window! The only other annoyance was the lift being out of order for most of our stay.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank emman26
Dear Emman26;
Thank you for your review.
I cannot apologise enough for any noise issue that you encountered during your stay. During your next trip just give me a ring and I’ll make sure that you get a room facing the courtyard.
The lift was repaired on the day of your departure... So sorry you could not enjoy it.
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed at the European Inn with colleagues for a business trip to the UK recently (we are all from the U.S.). The hotel was clean and sufficient for our needs during the week. My best compliment is to the staff who were extremely welcoming and helpful in everything we asked.

American travelers -- like most European hotels, rooms in this one are small compared to home. Just be prepared.

Dear KentuckyPilgrim;
Thank you for your kind review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, it is always refreshing and welcome to have a positive feedback.
I have passed your comments onto my staff and on their behalf I would like to thank you (you made their day!).
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it worked out at £30 a night from expedia. You can't go wrong for that price, and we were expecting something a bit like a premier inn which is like what is. It was spotlessly clean and just as good as any of the chain cheap hotels. Its about 200m from Derby train station, and a little tip for you - don't pay the £8.95 for a cooked breakfast. Instead go into the train station and pay less than £3 for a great big breakfast baguette at Upper Crust or Pumpkin Cafe. The parking was full on one of the nights but theres a lot of street parking nearby with no restrictions between 6pm-8am.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoldenBat
Dear Goldenbat;
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
I am glad you found the hotel to your taste and that you did enjoy your stay.
Looking forward having you as a guest again very soon.
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Our second stay here and as before very pleased, everthing is very well maintained and clean in this hotel. Ice and chilled water available in the corridor unlike most hotels, good king size bed, large flatscreen tv, free parking etc. this was a standard room when most places offer less for a superior or upgraded room.

This hotel will be our number one choice for a stay in Derby town centre

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Hotelcouple;
Thank you for your fantastic review and your kind words.
It is was a pleasure to have you as a guest and we are very much looking forward seeing you again.
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were very fortunate in our expereince compared to some of the less postive reviews I have read. The staff were efficient, friendly, proficient and always willing to give that little extra to ensure that we felt welcome. They were happy to share their local knowledge and provided excellent recommendations on local takeaways etc absolutely essential having been washed out at the Download festival on the Sunday. Very pleased to see the cheap beer promotion having paid the usual concert rip off prices all day. The room was very clean and nice to see the rarity of a full size bath with plenty of hot water - which was a godsend after arriving back after a full day of rocking frozen to the bone. Wifi worked superbly. An excellent price for a hotel so ideally located for the Download shuttle bus. The Deputy Manager Lisa runs a tight ship and clearly takes the comfort of her guests very seriously. Her approach, the great price and amenities will ensure that we will be back next year. Highly recommended - if only they could sort the weather! Thank you and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thanks for such a great review, we do try very hard to ensure all our guest have a really positive experience at the hotel. Hope we can welcome you back sooner than next year!