“Slightly disappointed. ”
Review of Hallmark Inn

Hallmark Inn
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel but I have to say I was slightly disappointed.
The rooms were very clean but dated and needed modernisation.
Rooms are large and the bed is comfy.
Breakfast is brilliant.
The hotel does have a free car park and is within walking distance of the city centre.
Would consider booking again.

Stayed: May 2014
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thanks for your review and your positive comments about the room and breakfast being brilliant! I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Inn

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went here for a shopping weekend away and was not disappointed the hotel was clean and comfortable staff very helpful and pleasant did not eat here so cannot comment went here for the location would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for a great review and I am so pleased you will come back and stay with us, do keep an eye on our website for some great offers.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work for 4 nights. This hotel is a one minute walk from the train station, and about ten minutes walk from the Westfield shopping centre. The rooms were a good size and the room itself was clean. The staff were all really nice and housekeeping were amazing. I am coming back next week for work and i am more than happy to do so. There is a restaurant right by the hotel and a few just along the road. There is also a selection of takeaway restaurants nearby. If you are after something very convenient and clean this is ideal.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for a great review, I'm so pleased you had a good experience with us and hope you have a good stay with us next week.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I wrote a very good review of this hotel 3 yrs ago when it was the European Hotel (Sept 2011).
We have since used it roughly once a year, but we will probably not use it again because although the prices have increased it has not maintained the standards of the European and I blame Hallmark for this, they have really neglected it since they took over, the carpet in our room (137) was nearly thread bare in places and the the soap dish in the bathroom had been glued together, the taps were cheap and hard to operate and the wallpaper was lifting in several places throughout the room and had marks on it.
On a positive note the room was very clean.

The reception girl seemed rather miserable and struggled to smile whereas before she used to have a nice smile, it makes me wonder whether Hallmark is neglecting its staff as well as the hotel itself.

Judging by the way Hallmark treats it's customers at this hotel & the one across the road which was once the Midland & one of the prides of derby with its expensive drink prices I doubt whether we will use another Hallmark hotel anywhere because they can't be trusted to deliver.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jim_lad_58

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry if you hadn't enjoyed your stay with us, we do constantly invest in both the Derby properties, with regards to the bar prices we are about the same as our local hotels of our staff rating and below prices in most of the bars in the city.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Hallmark Inn is a very average budget motel with some minor quirks but lovely desk staff. For the price it's very good. I booked a family room for one adult and two kids about a week in advance which came to roughly £45 for a Saturday night. Adding the buffet breakfast on arrival brought it up to just under £60 which is pretty good if your kids are going to eat like horses at the start of the day.

The Inn had free parking on site which was wonderful although I don't know if they would have enough spaces during busy times and what spaces we found were either inaccessible corners or tight. Minor niggle though. Only a serious problem if you're driving a Chelsea tractor.

Receptionist was very relaxed, pleasant and happy to talk to my excited chatterbox kids about their day at Alton Towers. Gave me all the info i needed. The lift then chose that moment to conk out but we were only on the first floor and our luggage wasn't terribly heavy so I didn't care at all. The stairs were in perfect working order!

The family room was a standard room with a single sofabed made up. Both the sofabed and the main double bed were extremely comfortable and everything was very clean. Hard to keep your eyes open on those beds. The towels are enormous and plentiful which i really appreciated. There is a bath with a shower. The water comes out of the bath taps at such an insane velocity that you have a full, hot bath in under 30 seconds. Housekeeping had forgotten to supply us with soap and showergel but the lady back down at the desk pulled out a lovely selection of smelly bottles for us.

The only only power sockets in the main room are not by the beds but along the desktop, barely an inch above the table surface. If you have an appliance with a stiff chord or a long plug then you will not be able to plug it in directly, as I found with my phone charger. However another trip to reception quickly remedied this. It is obviously a known issue as the duty manager was already pulling out an extension chord for me before I had finished explaining the problem.

The WiFi signal in our room was strong and fast, pleasantly surprised. We also liked the biscuits with the tea and coffee, though I would have liked a decaff option as well.

Breakfast starting at 8am on sunday was just bliss. No rush to get up. Hot and cold buffet breakfast, what you'd normally expect and I would say good for the price Happily surprised to be given a pot of coffee but there was barely enough in the pot for one cup and it was a tad gritty.

All the niggles I mentioned were minor and didn't majorly affect my enjoyment of the stay. I've only mentioned them at because - if the attitude of the reception staff is anything to go by - Hallmark Inn has the potential to look at these little things and get more 5-star customer ratings.

I would come again and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for a great so pleased you had a good experience at the hotel and thanks for your comments about reception. I do hope you'll choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We've stayed here several times, it's so handy being across the road from the station, but in a reasonably quiet location for a city centre hotel. The breakfast offering is basic but OK and the room was clean and well maintained. Although we were on a B&B rate we were presented with a bill with breakfast shown as extra, but it was swiftly rectified without any fuss. Don't accept a room near the lift though, it was our first time in one of these and the words "doors closing" followed by the lift motor noise can get on your nerves after a while!

Room Tip: Don't be near the lift!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterrslp

Thanks for a great review, we do have a super location near the station and only a 5/10 minute walk into the city. Hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was my first stay in this hotel. We paid £49 for a family room booking only the day before.
The hotel from the outside doesn't look up to much, but the reception is quite nice.
The car parking is fine, was very busy on the night as there was a wedding on but we did manage to squeeze into a space. (although a tight fit) I would imagine without the wedding on there would be ample parking spaces.
Our room was ok, a bit dated I would say. There was wallpaper coming off in parts. The bath was nice and big and the water was always nice and hot.
We didn't eat here so can't comment on the food.
As I mentioned above there was a wedding on but this caused us no problems, there were some of the wedding children roaming the corridors but on the whole they didn't cause us any problems.
We had a family room which is based on 2 adults and 2 children yet there were only 2 cups, we could have asked for more but to walk back down to the reception to ask would just a hassle so we just used the 2. (we were quite a way from reception). We ran out of milk quite quickly as the children like 3 of those little cartons in their tea as they like it cool so when we came in from the night out we got some more from the reception with no problems.
The bed was quite hard whereas I prefer softer beds but this is just my preference.
I don't think I would stay here for longer than 1 night, but it was fine for a short stay and for what we needed.
The train station was right by the hotel so this would be very handy for that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joanne t
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks for your review I'm glads you enjoyed your stay, we do have direct dial phones in all the rooms so we could have organised some extra tea and coffee for you if you had let us know. Hope we can welcome you back soon.