“Thank you for ruining our celebration evening! ”

International Hotel
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Derby
“Thank you for ruining our celebration evening! ”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We booked the International Hotel for our end of sixth form Prom.
Having spent nearly 9 months organising this event, it was highly anticipated.
The evening was more than disappointing for both students and staff for many reasons which is clear from other reviews from the same night. However, it is the manager responses of which I take issue.
Yes I agreed that the decor and DJ were of high standard, partly due to the international but mostly due to the prom organisers hard work and students song requests.
To some extent I can sympathise with the staff, having such a large party means it is understandably difficult to serve everyone at once. However, this does not excuse the cold soup, cold potatoes and rubbery vegetables. This again is where I take issue with the manager response with regards to informing staff that the meals were cold, the organiser of our prom asked for a manger more than 3 times and was given no assistance.
Furthermore, the staff seemed extremely unconcerned with any kind of customer service, with one waitress dropping the wine glass which my friends prawn cocktail had been served in on the floor. Again understandable and she apologised profusely to our table, however she then walked away, leaving the broken glass on the floor next to out table without even attempting to clear it away.

To summarise, we were served our food over an hour later than planned, the food was cold and of poor standard, the whole event had been very clearly understaffed (regardless of technical fault) and there was absolutely no communication from staff, especially management who should be disappointed that they have lost a potentially annually returning customer in our sixth form. Thank you for ruining our celebration.

Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Eleanor R
Lynn P, Front Office Manager at International Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
The International Hotel would like to make guests aware that the function rooms at the hotel are managed and owned by a separate company and subsequently are not responsible for any music, catering, bar or staffing issues associated with the function rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

"As served at the World's Greatest Events." - The new tag line for the alcoholic drink, Stella Artois. Well, as you can probably guess by the title of this review, this was not one of the World's Greatest Events, despite being tipped by Twitter users to be the top trend worldwide, under the hash tag '#JPSProm2014'.

I arrived at the event in good spirits, as I stepped out of my taxi I surveyed the front of the building whilst buttoning up my suit jacket. An impressive exterior with a grand entrance characterised by two large brick pillars. As far as I was concerned, the night could only get worse.

I went to the upstairs bar to get a drink before heading to the function room which was downstairs, as I had heard that the downstairs bar was not yet open, despite the event starting some 10/15 minutes ago. This meant that the upstairs bar was overloaded with students and teachers alike frothing at the mouth to get their hands on some alcohol. It took considerable time to be served, at no fault of the bar staff, but the lack of coherence between all the staff working on the event.

I eventually made my way downstairs, equipped with a full pint of Stella Artois. I gripped my pint tightly in my right hand as it became obvious to me that the working staff were behind. They were rushing around trying to complete their tasks, which evidently should have been done before the event begun. One member of staff bustled past me in an almighty clumsy manner, consequently I lost a few sips of my pint. I did not ask for the bar staff to top it up because of my benevolent and forgiving nature. Despite the rush the staff member was in, an apology would have been appreciated. As it happened I was left standing over a puddle of Stella, one would describe that as a health and safety hazard. Although I did not bring it to anyone's attention, hoping the staff member would get their 'just deserves' and slip up. Unfortunately, I was out of such luck.

I was looking forward to the food. Ordering the Soup, Salmon and Fresh fruit meringue; I was led to believe I would dine like royalty. However, much to my dismay the service was slow and inconsistent. After being told to sit down as the starters were ready, it took at least 15 minutes for them to arrive. Personally, I enjoyed my soup. However, when mingling later in the evening I found that many of my good friends, whom I will hold everlasting memories with, did not have as pleasurable experience as myself. The pate was likened to cat food by some people, not that I can imagine they have ever tasted cat food but I had to respect their comparison, as neither have I tasted it.

I move onto the main course of Salmon, which again I enjoyed, accompanied with my white wine which is what I moved onto after my pint of Stella. Again we were made to endure at least an hour of mingling before it was served. The main course was worse for service than the starter, there must have been over an hour between from when the first main was served to the last. I polished off my Salmon in quick time, and being the polite, respectful gentleman I am, I attempted to wait before everyone had finished their mains before leaving my seat to mingle some more. I continued to sit but grew more impatient as time went on. I knew it was time to get up when glances to my wristwatch became a half-minutely thing. I was surprised to find that some people had not even been served their meals, and I had finished at least 30 minutes prior to this. A gentle warning from the staff would have been appreciated, but again, ignorance prevailed and we were left wondering where the food was.

The service so far had been sloppy and unacceptable, but I was willing to give the staff the benefit of the doubt as the weather had been thoroughly miserable all day. Although at this point I did concede myself to the fate that a dessert arriving was somewhat of a pipe dream. It did finally arrive at around half-past very late in the evening, but by this time the disco had started and it was too late. Not for me though, I wanted my money's worth so once again enjoyed my dish. The meringue was what I had been looking forward to all day, and although I was made to wait, I was not disappointed. Other desserts also looked appetising, and as people were dancing they were not interested, which did seem a shame. It did cross my mind to help myself to other desserts, there would be no losers after all, however I could not bring myself to do such a thing.

By this time I was back on the Stella Artois, and now more than ever I was convinced this was not one of the World's Greatest Events.

The evening moved on and after being pressured by a nice woman behind the bar to try a drink I had never had before, I found myself sipping a Martini, which I thoroughly enjoyed and will be having again. So for that I am eternally grateful to the bar staff who forced me to push the boat out and leave my comfort zone.

Overall the evening was a mild failure, not wholesomely as there were highlights such as my food and finding myself a new drink. It was a shame that the staffing was on the whole incompetent and lazy. However, being an A Level Business Studies student I do ask myself whether the preparation from the managers for an event of such magnitude had been done to a good enough standard. I have however, rated the venue 3/5 because I did have a good time, my food was enjoyable and the weather was appalling, which the International Hotel can have no control over, so therefore I did have sympathies with the staff.

With regards,

Elliott Dalton

15 Thank Elliott D
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Another complaint about the 23rd of May 2014. Having paid £35 each for our 6th form leaver's prom, of about 140 people, I was appalled by our experience, which was completely below par.

Firstly, both the bar upstairs and downstairs were understaffed, and the staff were slow, and I assume not adequately trained as I waited at least 15 minutes to be served. Secondly, after waiting until almost 10pm for our main course, which was meant to be when the entire meal should have been done by, the quality of the food we received was completely different to the descriptions we'd been given by the hotel, and arrived cold and undercooked, definitely not worth the money we'd paid. It was also served one dish at a time, so I'd finished my tortellini long before the person sat next to me received their beef. I witnessed other tables' main course plates being cleared long before we'd even received ours. No explanation or apology was offered, so I can only assume it was due to poor organisation of the service, and would not like to simply blame the waiting staff.

As I work for a catering company that caters for similar events of around 200 people at a time, I would like to make some suggestions. Food should be plated up fresh, and then served one table at a time, not one dish at a time - the waiting staff should not move on to another table until everyone has received their food. It should be the same with clearing plates - one table at a time, and making sure the whole table's plates are cleared before moving on to the next.

Perhaps the service could have been forgiven if the waiting staff had explained the reason for the long wait, instead they were rude, barging through people, although it was clear they were understaffed.

It was obvious to us that the people on our prom committee, both students and teachers, were becoming stressed by the wait and quality of the food, which was no fault of their own, which is unacceptable, seeing as we had booked this venue to have an enjoyable evening. Luckily, we managed to still have a good night, due to the company of our friends, although the majority of people had been irritated by their experience of the hotel.

Having said this, I would like to praise the member of staff on reception, who did apologise when complaints were made, and was willing to listen to our feedback and offer his sympathies.

4 Thank TS1996
Lisbon
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I went to an event on Friday 23rd May, having paid £35. We were expecting Buck's Fizz on arrival, having paid a large amount of money in advance for this, there was nothing, no apology, no explanation. On arrival at 6.55pm for 7pm start, we were told the room was not ready and asked to wait upstairs in a small reception area. When allowed downstairs, the bar remained closed and boarded up for about 15 minutes, then was staffed by 3 people who clearly had no bar experience. Our meal should have started at 7.45pm, my starter arrived at 8.45pm a very bright pink lump of pate of some sort & half a bread roll. I went to buy some wine for our table and was offered house wine, I said fine and the waitress disappeared, coming back 10 minutes later to say they only had wine at £16 a bottle, no house wine, I bought this, someone else had gone upstairs to buy wine as service was so poor downstairs and was charged £18 for the same bottle. My main course arrived eventually at 9.45pm and was frankly disgusting, I found I couldn't eat it. I had arranged to be picked up at 10pm assuming the meal would be finished. I left at 10pm, but understand deserts didn't arrive until 10.45pm. I made cheese on toast when I got home.
This event was meant to be a celebration, and had taken a lot of planning, and was anticipated by a lot of people. It was spoiled by incompetence, lack of care, and greed for profit. Do not book this venue for your special event.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank DianaP490
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed as part of a 16 person sports group. To explain the title, the hotel:

Liquorice Allsorts - it seems the hotel is in the process of updating rooms. Some were much more modern than others. My room for example has peeling wallpaper and tired looking furniture but another room was freshly decorated. Each room was en-suite, had TV (freeview channels), tea/coffee making facilities, towel, toiletries...all the essentials for a comfortable stay.

Love it or hate it - If you have a newly decorated room with en-suite bathroom, you'll probably think the hotel is superb value. If you have high standards, this won't be the hotel for you.

Certainly the hotel is close to the city centre (10 min walk), has free parking and free wi-fi.

For a group that didn't spend much time actually in the hotel, it was fine for a night.

1 Thank Lea T
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having booked this hotel last minute, I did have a look at the reviews before I booked. I think some of the reveiwers must have stayed at a different hotel to us! The car park to the hotel was the first thing that greeted us. There was rubbish scattered all over the car park. I guess there must be a resident fox as the black bin bags which had been put out had been shredded and the contents discarded everywhere. Not a very welcoming site as you go into the car park. The receptionist was nice enough and checked us in without any problems. The reception area and the corridors of the hotel are very dated and run down. The lift is the smallest lift I have ever seen! We got to our room and were not at all optimistic about our accomodation. On entering the room, there was a clean smell of new carpet and paint. The room has obviously only just been renovated. (There were signs up in the hotel saying they were refurbishing it). The room was very spacious and clean with a nice ensuite bathroom. Inside our room it was very clean and nicely decorated (apart from the view from the window with the rubbish strewn car park). Coming out of the room was a different story. There was a very fusty and old smell about the hotel. The decor was terrible and I was so glad that we were only staying one night and would be literally in our room to sleep. The breakfast room was ok, I think it had already been 'done up' but didn't look great. We decided on the way into the breakfast room that Mcdonalds was probably going to be the best option for breakfast. We did have cereal's and a cup of tea but I didn't even want to see the cooked breakfast let alone taste it. All in all we were very dissapointed with the hotel and it isn't somewhere we would go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsMCD76
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked this Hotel's function room out for one night, which had taken moths and months of preparation and planning, only to be let down completely by the appalling quality of service and frankly rude and inept staff. The management and organisation system resembles that of a cattle market, we sat down for meals at 7:45 and the dessert was still being served at 22:45. No explanation was given, and when the food arrived it was to a very poor standard generally. The 'service' was a shambles, and one member of staff told me she "did not care" if it went cold and that "it isn't her problem." Says it all really. Absolutely disgraceful, wouldn't tolerate that for £5 a head never mind £35. Shambolic from start to very finish. So yes, you're better off buying a kebab from next door and sitting on the bins as it provides a more pleasurable experience.

11 Thank Tom B
Eventsteam2014, Events Manager at International Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to provide feedback from your event.
Due to electrical problems in our kitchen that evening, extra pressure was put on all of our staff so I do apologize if you did not receive our usual high standard of service.
Please may I point out that the price you quoted was not the price paid for the event so I can only assume the organisers included extras not provided by ourselves.

I have taken note of your comments and they will be investigated