“Maybe turn the cool air con off”

Showcase Cinema de Lux
Ranked #7 of 27 Fun & Games in Derby
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Maybe turn the cool air con off”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Went to see Dallas Buyers Club. Love to go to this cinema, just for the comfy chairs, and it doesn't matter where you sit, great viewing. Only gripe is that I had to sit with my coat wrapped round me like a quilt, too cold in there!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lisa T

334 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 232 helpful votes
“Comfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Comfortable, many choices of screens. The Directors screen is expensive and really know different from the other screens, in fact my seat was ripped front to back. The free popcorn, which I did not want, and the free coffee does not justify the prices

Visited February 2014
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Love going to the flicks”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Always a treat to go to Cinema De Lux in Westfield. Prices are a bit steep but the Directors Hall is definitely worth the novelty.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love it here”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I love this cinema, but every time I go it gets more and MORE expensive, wasn't impressed with the prices. However it has a lovely design and is a quality experience. Its super good on orange wednesdays

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Patricia B
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Has its problems.......”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've been to this cinema tons of times since it opened and, in all honesty, it probably is the best one in Derby. The Odeon and the original Showcase on Forresters are looking a bit dated (not been to Forresters in years, so don't even know if it's still there!). But this one in Westfield does have its problems..........

These days you expect a trip to the cinema to be expensive, but this is a touch too expensive. I went recently with a friend and a ticket, nacho's and a drink cost me almost £20! That's too much. It's even higher if you get a Director's Lounge ticket. To be honest, there's not really much point in getting a Director's Lounge ticket if you turn up just as the film is starting. You're better off getting there about an hour beforehand so you can at least take advantage of the private bar on offer. Steer clear of the pick'n'mix though unless you don't mind paying £1.40 per chocolate peanut.

The seats in the main screens, in my opinion, are not comfortable. There's plenty of leg room and they do recline a bit, but my friend and i just don't find them comfortable. We're both a little over 6ft 3in so i don't know if our height is anything to do with it (e.g. we're not perfectly aligned with the grooves in the chair!), but anything longer than 90mins and i can barely stand up at the end because my back is fused. The chairs in the Director's Lounge are MUCH more comfortable though. And there's more space in there for your drinks and snacks. In the main screens I had to rest some stuff on the floor in front of me as there just isn't enough room either side of your chair.

But the biggest downside of all is the HORRENDOUS counter service when getting your food. In all the times i've been to De Lux, not one of the staff has smiled. Plus, the service is horrifically slow. I joined a queue the other day and i was next in line to be served. However it was another 20 MINUTES before i walked away with my nacho's and drink!

There are good points (proximity to shops and restaurant, easy parking), but there are a lot of faults with this cinema which, in all honesty, have been here for a long time. So the management are either unaware of them, or just don't care.

If you want to turn up, watch a film, then go home - go to the Odeon. If you want a full night out with a restaurant meal before/after - go to De Lux.

Visited January 2014