“What Hospitality?”

Dining options: Reservations
Derby, United Kingdom
“What Hospitality?”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

service is definitely not with a smile. Food reasonable but atmosphere somewhat lacking as is any sort of a smile from staff and landlord alike. Bar staff are just plain rude and I will never enter the premises again! Very anti the younger generation, surely they are your future customers?

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank caldglyn

Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very welcoming experience, lovely service and great food!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My family and I visited the Robin Pub (unusually for us) on a Wednesday night. I had heard that there was a new landlord in charge and thought we would check out the food. Approaching the Robin with caution we opened the door and was welcomed with a rather full bar which nowadays is quite a rare site. As we walked through to the bar I had noticed a poster on the wall "steak night Wednesday", great!!!! Couldn't believe my luck a "free drink with any steak". Once we had ordered our food (which wasn't easy as we have a few allergy sufferers in the family, however it was made so much easier by the very polite, helpful and welcoming member of staff) we had barely a moment to sip our drinks before the starters had arrived. Having finished our starters again the mains came just as quick. Food again was piping hot and steaks were cooked to perfection, each steak exactly as we asked for. Fresh and tender and extremely well portioned with all the trimmings. This was one of the most pleasant visits to a local food establishment. The service and manner of the staff was fantastic made my whole family feel very welcome. I can not recommend the Robin enough. I will definitely be visiting many more times in the future.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank anjelou
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It is nice to go to a pub that cooks fresh food”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my family had the best Sunday dinner ever in a pub
Every thing on our plates was all freshly cooked well presented
The meat we all had beef was so good and very tasty
the service was spot on made us so welcoming to me and my family I have eaten here with my wife before in the weekday that was first class.we have already booked for Xmas week dinner with all my family .great food tastytasty

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank paul361
“Would not recommend The Robin in Mickleover to anyone!”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The worst service and hospitality experienced. Decor dull, gloomy and unwelcoming with the rudest, most unprofessional, disrespectful and impolite barmaid ever had the 'pleasure' of meeting. Food and service was appalling and many lessons could be learned by them visiting and experiencing the high quality service, good and well cooked food plus exceptionally polite, professional and helpful staff down the road at The Great Northern Hotel/bar/restaurant! so bad Gordon Ramsey couldn't sort out this dysfunctionally run establishment! Would never set foot in The Robin again and would recommend to no-one I'm afraid

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank DEFfoodcritic
“Never again!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Visited this weekend and hugely disappointed. Not much food to choose from. Fairly strong musty smell in pub. Took over an hour to get starters, nearly another hour for mains and half hour for dessert and we were the only people there!!!!

starters were ok, mains were terrible. Steak was burned (asked for medium, this was completely burned and dry as a bone). Chips were burned and very greasy. There were 7 people in our party and all of our steaks and chips were like this. Puddings were small. Choc fudge cake had been microwaved so the topping was a hot sloppy mess on the plate. Asked for mine to be cold, they brought it out lukewarm (clearly had been heated up and left to cool)

meals were not brought out together so we had some people still waiting whilst others had finished.

had to stand at the bar for 10 mins because the staff couldn't find any clean glasses so my food went cold.

prices were ok, slightly expensive but not too bad. But for the food and service we received they were way too expensive!

will never go there again!!

• Visited July 2013