“Mixed opinion......”
Review of Tenpin

Tenpin
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I went to Derby with my partner and 2 children for the weekend for a visit to Gullivers. We decided to go bowling the day before Gullivers and came across Tenpin.
From the outside it looked really dreary and uninviting but as we don't know the area we decided to just bite the bullet and go inside as we didn't know where there would be another one.
When we walked through the door we were pleasantly surprised, the bowling alleys looked nice and it was quite a jolly fun looking place.
We decided to eat before we bowled so I placed an order for some food. The children had a platter for 2 which included burgers, pizza, fish fingers, chicken nuggets and chips for £7.50 which was good value and gave them some variety. My partner had an adults cheeseburger. As I have health issues I can't eat normal food so couldn't try the food but my partner said that it tasted like everything had been cooked on the same tray or in the same fat, he said the fish fingers tasted like the pizza, etc etc... After the food we went to pay for a game of bowls, we had no problem getting a lane but I did feel that £21 for 1 game for 2 adults and 2 children was quite expensive. The girl who served me was lovely and the service at the counter was great.
The actual game of bowls was good we had no issues whatsoever, the bumpers came up when we needed them too and there were skittle issues.
After the game of bowls we gave the children £5 each to spend in the arcade there.
First off my oldest decided to play pool, no white ball came out so we had to go find a lady. She was extremely helpful and sorted it straight away but it took me at least 5 minutes to find someone to help. Then my youngest decided he wanted a game of pool so we set up on another table, it took me 5 minutes to get the money in the table as it took the pound coin but then wouldn't take the 10p's but I had to continue to try as it wouldn't give me the pound back. There was no chalk for the cues and there were only tips on about 3 of the cues. On the whole the pool area was rubbish to say the least. Then the next pound we put into an air hockey game but no puck popped out. I had to queue again at reception desk as there was no one milling around and after about 5 minutes someone came to check the table but wouldn't just give me the pound coin back she needed to insert it into another machine for us??? I felt under pressure to pick a machine so my son picked the Mario Cart game although not really old enough to play. He sat on my lap and I did the majority of the driving while he just watched. The one button didn't work and it is supposed to take a photo which it didn't do. Then my eldest son wanted to play baskbetball, his first game was fine but then his second game took the pound but no balls came out. My partner said to leave it but I was determined to get the pound back or at least get him another game. Once again I had to stand at the reception desk again and wait 5 minutes to get someone to come over and help us.
On the whole the "arcade" section needs some serious looking at. Machines don't work, then when they don't there is no one milling around to help.
The girls who work there are great and so helpful but they are seriously overworked, they are running round trying to do everything, I have never seen anything like it before.
I wouldn't visit again I don't think unless it was just to bowl but then the kids always want to go on a few arcade games and it was just way to stressful.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The whole family had a great time. There was an issue with pins not being scored correctly, but staff were great when mentioned.
Would have given 5 stars if they didn't have flashing lights in your eyes when you are bowling.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked two lanes for my 6 year old grandson's birthday. One lane continually broke down and the 'technician' went to the next lane by mistake and re-set the scores! Once we got our lane fixed it still malfunctioned on occasions and was very slow in resetting pins.

To further add insult to injury the 'air hockey' game we played on broke down and we had to wait 15 minutes for the manager to come and authorise us having £1.00 refunded.

Overall, my son paid £90.00 for us all to 'enjoy' a game of bowls. Thanks to the poor reliability of the bowling machinery it took the gloss of the day. The staff did try their best but they appeared overworked and a couple more staff could have helped ease the congestion at reception.

We won't be going back to Tenpin at Derby as there must be a better 10 pin bowling centre in the area. Prices are not cheap and the experience we had left a lot to be desired. Not good value for money.

2  Thank Tom_Tait
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Booked the TenPin to take our two grandchildren. The lane mechanism faulted twice during the game and cocked up the scores. Glad we only booked one game!

1  Thank Phillip B
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This has nothing to do with the staff, the staff are fine. I have come here many times over the years and every time I go, there is always a fault with the lanes, which takes away from the whole experience. Also, the help button doesn't work on the keyboard, so you have to walk back and forth to the front desk every 10 minutes, then wait even longer for someone to come and fix it. Seems the equipment needs a maintenance check or something, but I am no expert, so I don't know.

5  Thank DanielMansey