“Embarrassing”

Brasserie Restaurant
Ranked #395 of 634 Restaurants in Derby
Price range: US$50 - US$51
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We made a reservation on a Sarurday evening for visitors and ourselves. We arrived on time to be told we would have to wait 10-15 minutes because a table of 8 had just arrived. After 35 minutes I went to find staff and it was obvious that they had forgotten us. When we reached out table it was clear the restaurant was less than quarter full. Food and wine were average but overpriced. Service was poor with our waiter puting plates down with a thump and grunt. When we finished the meal we were the last table but staff had disappeared. I t took an effort on my part to get a bill and pay. It was still only 9.30 pm.

2  Thank MickleoverChris

Reviewed 28 October 2012

The food was average, however at 10.95 for 3 courses I would say good value.

The service however was appalling. We booked a table for 12.30, the opening time of the restaurant. In reality, the doors did not open until nearer 12.45......late before starting service, not a good sign.

We booked a table to include a high chair for our 11 month old. We were shown to a table without one. Not a problem in itself, we were asked if we wanted one, to which we responded yes. 5 minutes later, someone came to take our order......still no highchair and one very wriggly baby sat on my lap. We chased up and were provided one.

We were asked for our drinks order and in addition to my husband and my drinks we ordered a glass for my 3 year old to enjoy the water provided on the table. The drinks came, no glass. We chased, it was delivered.

When our starters arrived we were served by yet another person (the 4th we had met so far), a very grumpy, bordering on rude gentleman who barked "salad" and waited. My husband had ordered the ceasar salad, I had ordered parma ham salad.....which was it?? Anyway, we repeated our order to him and he plonked our dishes down.

When finished our starters, our plates were cleared and we were asked to make our way to the carvery. When we replied that we would like to wait for our daughters non carvery meal to arrive before getting our own, the waitress looked at us like we had gone mad.

Anyway, the childs meal arrived (which consisted of a very soggy battered fish still with skin on.....not ideal for a child) and we went to help ourself the the carvery.

It was at this point that the already below average service stopped altogether. We didn't see another member of staff until about 20 minutes after we finished our mains when I manage to catch someones attention to ask to order desserts. No drinks were able to be ordered, we sat with empty plates on our table for an unreasonable amount of time......no contact whatsoever.

In response to this request, we were told someone would be over shortly. Shortly was over 5 minutes, at which point she cleared the plates and whilst walking away said she would bring some menus over. We waited, waited, waited.....no menus. At this point we had given up on dessert and decided to ask for the bill. We were told that someone would bring it over, this again was not forthcoming, so we pakced up and paid on our way out.

At the till the member of staff tried to charge for 3 courses, at which point I had to point out that we hadn't had 3 courses, due to unreasonable amnount of waiting time.

We will not be returning for Sunday lunch, a shame as it is very local to us and would have been lovely to go to on a more regular basis.

2  Thank NicBAB
Reviewed 4 July 2012

good value for money, lovely tasting food, and a few nice glasses of wine to help the evening along.

Reviewed 4 May 2008

We dined here on a quiet Saturday night so got good service to go with the good but slightly expensive food. It maintains the standard that one would expect of a good hotel.