“The magic has gone”

Ranked #124 of 452 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$13 - US$80
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Pear Tree at Purton is home to a 2 AA Rosette Conservatory Restaurant serving the very best of modern British cuisine. Join us for a special occasion or just a midweek treat.Open for Lunch and Dinner every day of the week.Lunch from £10 per person, dinner is now individually priced from £15 for a main course. Full Sunday lunch £23. Afternoon Tea £15 per person, bookings required.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Used to be one of our favourite places to have dinner. Unfortunately the warmth & hospitality have now disappeared. The food is still good but gone are the well-presented menus, canapés, sorbet between courses, truffles with the coffee & high level of personal service. The redecoration contributes to the now cold clinical feeling in the conservatory – I can sit on garden chairs at home. It’s the small things & attention to detail that are so important for success. I used to recommend the Pear Tree as a special place for dining but sadly no more.

3  Thank marki01
Alix Y, Manager at The Pear Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience as much as we'd hope. To cater for our more flexible guests we now offer an a la carte menu - as opposed to the set four course menu we offered until last year. Because of this, we have stopped serving canapes and an intermediate course but as our restaurant numbers have gone up by almost 50% since the change we're fairly sure most people don't mind. We do of course still serve turkish delight and homemade fudge with coffee after the meal.
We also invested heavily in the redecorating the conservatory to make it a more modern and usable space and so many people are raving about the changes so I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like them.
Kind regards

Reviewed 29 July 2014

A stone-throw away from Swindon this is a hidden gem, relax i tranquility whilst being treated to excellent food and a first class service.
The food is excellent and great value thoroughly recommend relaxing with a coffee in the drawing room afterwards before a quiet walk around the grapevines in the beautiful garden.
Great place, excellent food and service.

1  Thank SamuelBennett

So pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us and hopefully we'll get the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I and my family and friends have been dining out at this beautiful hotel for 26 years. I always thought of it as a superior dining experience. It is with some sadness that I have to rate our experience as average (meaning good) Lets get something straight. The Food is and always has been excellent, however as previous reviewers state. The little touches for diners have gone. It is clear that the Hotel is now focusing on it's popularity as a wedding and wedding breakfast venue. Gone is the plush carpet and quality dining chairs and in comes the noisy laminate flooring. The Wicker conservatory chairs did not even have cushions. A really poor decision to offer hard dry cheeses without at least some apple or grapes and chutney seemed very stingy. Don't get me wrong the service is great. But the lack of Canopes in the bar and Marzipan sweets in the Library has made the experience one I could easily get in any well respected hotel chain. I see from a previous review that the management state that it is the same family business. Yes I would not hesitate to use this Hotel for a wedding venue. But from now on I will be looking for a new special place. Sorry Pear Tree but you need to go back to the old days. Stick a large rug down for evening dining and replace those dining chairs.

2  Thank Graham240364
Alix Y, Manager at The Pear Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comments and I'm pleased that you enjoyed the food and service. We changed our menus at the start of 2014 to allow a lot more flexibility for diners, but the only things that have been removed are canapes and intermediates. We do still provide complimentary nuts in the bar and of course the fudge & turkish delight with coffee in the lounge and library.
Our carpet had seen far better days so was replaced with real oak flooring earlier this year, along with the new chairs which we've had really positive comments about.
I'm sorry to hear that you believe we are mainly a wedding venue. We've only had one wedding here in the past 6 weeks and only ever cater for less than 50 people with no evening discos so I'm sorry if that impacted on your visit. Our main focus is as a hotel, both for leisure and business guests and the restaurant is a big part of that.
We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Been on many occasions to dine at the Pear Tree and always been more than happy. However on the past two occasions I have been disappointed to the attention to detail and service. Food still rates ok but where has the 'Made to feel special' touch gone?? Probably won't revisit again soon

1  Thank Swindon_WiltsAjb
Alix Y, Manager at The Pear Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on here. I can assure you that we are still run by the same family who started the place 26 years ago so am saddened to hear that you didn't enjoy your recent experiences. We have recently changed our menu structure to make us more accessible and affordable and of course still have our 7.5 acre gardens to enjoy so hopefully you'll try us again soon.
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was our first visit to this lovely, local hotel and restaurant although our friends have been there on several occasions. It is set in beautiful grounds and we enjoyed a leisurely Sunday lunch in the conservatory. Although there were a couple of large groups partaking of lunch at the same time as us there was plenty of space between us and them. The food was divine especially the dessert and the service was polite, friendly and efficient. It was well worth the £23 per person including coffee.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your first meal with us. We're particularly proud of our £23 lunch option on a Sunday and lunch from £10 during the week so I'm really pleased you enjoyed it.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Hotel Manager