“lovely food”

Ranked #27 of 465 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Indian, Bar, Wine Bar, Bangladeshi
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Maharajah is famous for its exceptional food and there is always something special going on. From the moment you walk through the door a special dining experience awaits you. We accept bookings for parties of ten or more or just for that romantic meal for two. Order a drink from our fully licensed bar, then sit back and enjoy a tradition of authentic cuisine from the Indian Subcontinent in."Purton's Hidden Indian Treasure".Situated in the lovely North Wiltshire village of Purton the Maharajah boasts a unique surrounding. Purton is a lively village with two clubs, two pubs, a top grade hotel and of course The Maharajah Restaurant. "Visit the village and pop in for the finest in Tandoori and Balti dishes".
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was my first time here, and most of the large party that I was with. We all thought the food was of very high standard & very tasty. Service was quick & all seemed very nice. I had the vegetable pasanda & it was gorgeous. The prices were acceptable, and the only thing that was a bit negative was the one waiter who kept asking us to ask the rest of the table if they wanted more etc and to hand him plates. Whether he was new and did not know what to do, i'm not sure but he seemed very unsure of his role. Apart from this, it is highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I am coming over from Germany for business reasons now since 2004 and once I have been told about the Indian restaurant in Purton by an English colleague some years ago I am a regular visitor of Khaliques restaurant whenever I am coming to Swindon. I am always enjoying the nice atmosphere and the fresh, tasty and delicious food. I have not found a comparable Indian restaurant in Germany so far, all of my colleagues I have brought over to Purton were more than satisfied and I can only recommend it to you for getting your own great experience of Indian food. It's really feeling like coming home and staying with friends. My family which i brought over on the last weekend to Swindon was really impressed about the really warm welcome, the great food and they really enyoed to be there. I will come back with them in the future, no doubt. A great experience and many thanks to Khalique and his team for the long chats we have had so far and we will definetively have in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We visited the Maharaja for the 1st time ever last Saturday having booked in advance, which was just as well given how busy it was. We arrived about 10 minutes early and could see that it was almost at full capacity, but after entering the establishment and waiting to be greeted, a few waiters simply walked past us - clearly too busy serving tables to even acknowledge our presence until someone (we think one of the family members) sprung to our assistance and took charge.

The restaurant doesn’t look up to much from the outside and we thought it would be tiny, but it is a bit of a Tardis. You enter off the street into the middle of the building, where there is a small hallway with a coat rack and to the right, a large (full on the night) dining room rather tackily illuminated by ultra violet lighting. To the left, where we were seated, was a more traditional, intimate dining area reminiscent of the 70’s with dark wood etc, with a small bar for waiter service. We would describe the overall appearance of the restaurant as being in need of a make-over to bring the (tacky) illuminated larger dining room and our ‘stuck in the 70’s’ smaller dining room together.

Overall the service was quite good for a Saturday night, especially given how busy they were and the fact that they also appear to do ‘take-aways’. To focus on the food however, I have to say that the quality, presentation and quantity were absolutely wonderful and we will definitely make a point of going back.

We enjoyed the usual poppadums with pickle (4 in total) followed by a starter each, then two mains with a different rice each and two chapattis, all of which was cooked to perfection and very tasty. This was washed down with a pint of Kingfisher and two glasses of wine, all for £42.00 for a couple of diners - superb value and therefore wins a highly recommended from us.

We had a nice chat with the owner’s youngest while paying our bill and he gave us the background of the restaurant and proved to be very engaging and friendly, his dad should feel proud of him.

So finally, our only criticism was a need to improve the décor a bit and this ‘very good’ restaurant would go into a much higher league.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I live in Purton and regularly visit the Maharajah with family and friends. The staff are always polite and friendly from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave. I have enjoyed every single curry ordered and my favourite is the Chicken Tikka Balti that comes with a Naan bread. If im not visiting the restaurant, I am ordering a takeaway to be delivered as it is always reliable and on time. 5* rating for 5* service and 5* flavours.

I cant wait for my next visit (booked in a couple of weeks, im sure I might squeeze another Maharajah curry in before that!)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have been to this restaurant a couple of times before and my impression then was that it was nice but nothing special. But I have changed my opinion. It is now definitley still nice but is now special!

I was taken here by a group of friends. There were 10 in the party. Service was prompt but not rushed. The menu contained some different Indian dishes to the typcial "curry house". But there are the old favourites e.g. onion bhaji, chicken korma for those less adventorous.

One tiny niggle (and I am being picky) there was a tendency by the waiter to want to clear away plates when others were still eating. I find this rude. On this basis I would rate service as Good rather than very good.