“A safe haven in a desolate town...”
Review of Jurys Inn Swindon

Jurys Inn Swindon
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed here three times in all. A newly-built hotel, with all the typical Jury's Inn features:- Boring menu, good rooms, comfortable bar, & disappointing breakfast buffet.
The difference from any other Jury's Inn is the location. Had I not been travelling by train I would have stayed somewhere outside the town, as the town appears so run down and depressing. Walking from the railway station to the Jury's Inn in the evening you pass a soup kitchen set up on the derelict land nearby - an experience which stuck in my mind as I tucked into my £13 Jury's Inn microwave meal Chicken Tikka....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Stamford_Trencherman
There are newer reviews for Jurys Inn Swindon

Reviewed 15 June 2011

On arrival at the hotel at 9pm, I was advised that my room wasn't ready due to some late check outs..this happened with at least 6 other people arriving at or just before myself. We were all asked to wait in the bar area, clothes and bags at our sides and we would be shouted when the rooms were ready.
At 9.30 pm I was told my room was ready . I finished my drink and checked in at 9.50, I was given my room key and eventually off I went to my room.
When I got there, there was a team of 3 still cleaning my room..i had to wait in the corridor for them to finish. Not impressed with this service.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My friend and I stayed at the above hotel the evening of the 23rd May and found the hotel to be clean and adequate for our visit.

Rooms were fine and staff friendly.

The biggest let down was the evening meal. We had fish pie and played hunt the fish. My pie was mostly potato. The breakfast food was tasteless. All in all the food was not good at all.

Room Tip: Rooms were fine but food was appalling.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I arrived to Swindon on the train, the hotel was just a short walk away from the train station which was very convenient though you can take a cheap taxi to the hotel if you wish. Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted by very pleasant reception staff who answered any questions I had and provided my with advice on the hotel and sent me up to my room. My room was very spacious, had a very comfortable bed and a nice desk area in the corner for my laptop, I shall admit the internet was very average and I ended up using a wireless internet USB for the duration of my stay. The room had a very nice big TV, and the bathroom was very nice, the shower was simply amazing! Progressing in my stay I found the hotel to be very well located near the bus station and central bus stops. I stayed for dinner as well at the hotel which I also have no complaints about apart from being a little pricey.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are rather nice.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Hotels don't like coach parties, we paid a fair price for our tour, the room was good and we spent money in the bar but dinner at the hotel was dreadful. Our party was given different food to the other hotel guests; luke warm soup, overcooked fish, tasteless vegetables. There was not sufficient fish so the chef cut the remaining fish in half! No excuse Jurys, you knew how many were in our party and gave us the time for dinner. You may not make much money from coach parties but better than having empty rooms earning no revenue.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed from 1st to 4th May. Chose high floor, overlooking Car Park. Perfect nights sleep in very comfortable bed in a quite spacious room. Only minor drawback in the room was a lack of drawer space. Car park was good value at £5 a night but you need to park before the coaches return from day trips. Breakfast was first class with regular re stocking of hot food items. Thouroughly enjoyed our stay and will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redcap
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Title says it all really. Modern chain hotel in an unremarkable location near the city centre. The room itself was clean and smart, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. But there was no radio - you could listen to radio channels on the TV, but that meant the TV screen remained on, preventing the room from becoming darkened.

At £5 minimum even if all you do is check a few emails, and £10 - more than most folks pay for a whole month - for 24 hours' access, the internet connection is a gigantic ripoff. What are these Leary-alike types going to inflict on us next - surcharges to use the bathroom?

The breakfast was poor. The self-service display was OK, but the food tasted as though the materials had come from Asda's budget range (not that we ever buy at that level, so I have admit I'm guessing) - exceedingly weak OJ (tiny glasses), intensely bitter coffee (and a queue for the one machine), sausages made mostly of filler. I couldn't find any bread but I didn't look too hard. On the other hand, the bacon tasted fine.

So whilst the fabric of the hotel and the staff are both good, it seems that the current management are pennypinching. Recommendable only when that changes.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business