“Retrievable problems” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Retrievable problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I don't usually write reviews of this type of hotel. You know - once in a while you need to make an overnight stay somewhere so you check online for an offer from one of the chains. All you expect is efficient staff, clean rooms and a good nights sleep. This looked good for a Saturday night visiting a relative in hospital, breakfast was included and we had never stayed in a Jury's Inn before. In fact the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was fine [that's why 2 stars instead of none]. I would tend to overlook a problem once as I am not a whinger but we had 3. We ate in the Restaurant - I have no idea how good the food was as it was so hot it burnt my mouth [there were 4 of us and all the food - starters and mains - was too hot to eat - I guess they heat from chilled in a microwave - they must have got the setting wrong]. As I said we are not whingers so apart from laughingly mentioning it to the waitress we never said anything - it's a one off isn't it?. Then we got to bed and within 10 minutes of turning the light off realised that the toilet was running. I had a look and it pretty obviously needed a plumber. Rang reception and they were efficient and checked it realised they could not fix it and had us in another room in 10 minutes. When we got up and went down to breakfast the room would not lock. We just took our valuables with us and hoped that no-one would steal our case of dirty washing [we did not want to make any more fuss]. Maybe it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances and we would give Jury's Inn another chance if we ever need to because the staff were good but I thought I would review it as nothing like this has ever happened to us before.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kvasirsblood
Paul C, General Manager at Jurys Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you taking the time to leave a review "Kvasirsblood". I am glad you found the staff friendly and efficient during your stay. I am disappointed to hear you had a number of small issues during your stay. I am confident these issues can be remedied with ease. Rest assured most of our dishes are prepared in house from fresh ingredients and cooked to order. A microwave is not used in the cooking or reheating of our dishes. Nonetheless I have spoken to our head chef to ensure food is hot but palatable without burning one’s mouth. I do apologise for the issue with your toilet, this should have been resolved prior to your check in and has subsequently been fixed. I welcome the opportunity to discuss the issue highlighted with your lock as we have checked the lock and it appears to be in proper working order. Guest security is one of our fundamental key areas of focus so I am disappointed to hear you felt your room was left insecure whilst you went down to breakfast. If you are willing to discuss these points, can I ask that you contact me at paul_clifford@jurysinns.com. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Swindon. Kind regards, Paul.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business earlier this month. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was average combo of toast, cereals and hot buffet. Convenient location and with a company discount excellent value for money. Will return when back in Swindon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick J
midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised. Rooms were superb, good night sleep, excellent value, one slight criticism would be the removal of hot food at the breakfast bar at 9 o clock, and the staff cleaning around you. Breakfast is until 10, and we were made to feel that we had overstayed our welcome.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank polo42
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Staff very helpful on arrival. Asked for a quiet room, and was put up high, which was great as I didn't hear any road noise.
Food quite expensive. Both of us ordered the fancy burger, which the bread fell to bits. Tasted nice though.
After my night out on the tiles, was surprised to find the reception manned and doors open at 02:30am when I staggered in.

Overall a good stay, but may eat elsewhere next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked the Jury's specifically for it's location as we were visiting for a friends birthday and the venue was literally 5 mins walk away. The location of the hotel, for proximity to the town centre was excellent, as it is only about 3 or 4 minutes walk. We were a little concerned about possible noise as the hotel is located on a busy intersection, but even though we had a room (on the 3rd floor) overlooking the junction, we weren't disturbed.

The welcome was friendly enough and everything was explained to us at check in. The room was very clean & tidy as was the bathroom. The only possible criticism was that there weren't many spare plug sockets, which meant juggling the charging of our mobile phones.

Although wifi was supposed to be free in the lobby, we really struggled to get connected. However, as this was only an overnight stay and wasn't a business trip it didn't really bother us.

I only have 2 complaints, if you can call them that... firstly, I don't like the idea of paying to park in a hotel car park, or parking in another car park and having it subsidised, as are the cases with this hotel. Secondly, I think that £10 per person for breakfast is expensive, for what is really a budget hotel. Especially when you consider that there are plenty of alternative budget hotels located fairly closely (closer in reality than they looked on the map!!!), which charge less for breakfast or include it in the cost of a comparably priced room.....

All things considered though, I would recommend the hotel for its location and facilities in general.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pops_Mccrill
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I've stayed at jury's inn a few times now on business working in Swindon and overall I enjoyed being there.

The rooms were clean, comfy and spacious. Had all the facilities I needed apart from the iron, but one is delivered upon request. Plug sockets are a bit lacking and are in awkward positions (I need my phone right next it me to wake me up in the mornings) and cables sometime would not reach where I needed them to.

Food was of a satisfactory standard, not the best (a burger I had literally fell apart when I picked it up and became a bit messy) but certainly not the worst.

Majority of staff are friendly and extremely helpful and I was always greeted in the mornings. However, one of the receptionists in the evenings (tall lad , blond hair) needs to smile more and act less sarcastic and that he wants to be there.

Also, wifi access was awkward. Included in my booking, I expected access upon arrival, only to be told once to pay £10 for 24 hours! After then stating it should be included in my booking by my agent, I was then given a code which only allowed 24 hour access.

Apart from awkward wifi access and the one staff member, I definitely recommend jury's inn as the place to stay for business and leisure. A jewel in an otherwise elephant-dung-esque of a town!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Craigpfc93
Totnes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

It's a Jurys, it is convenient, rooms are basic but clean. Service was friendly enough, but they clearly don't read customer booking forms, and ignore requests,

For the money it was fine and the weekend checkout time is generous.

Would I stay again? Probably not, it's an old building, the lobby looks good, but the rooms are dated. With prices and amenities similar to a Premier Inn, I'd probably choose the latter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Paul C, General Manager at Jurys Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review "Quinonostante". I am glad you found the staff friendly and the public areas to be in good condition. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding potential issues had with requests. We routinely get requests both in advance of arrival or whilst in house and where possible we will always attempt to facilitate requests. If you found requests were not acknowledged, I am eager to resolve this. Whilst the hotel will be celebrating its 5th Birthday in 2014 we continually re-evaluate the product to ensure that our rooms and public areas are maintained to a high standard. Again I welcome the opportunity to discuss you views on how we can improve the overall guest experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me at paul_clifford@jurysinns.com if this is something you feel would interest you. I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas. Kind regards, Paul C.