“weekend break”

GreenLeadersGold level
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here as part of coach weekend holiday, Room was very comfortable and well presented. However, some drawers would have been welcome. As in most hotels, no loo brush provided.
Staff friendly and helpful. Big down side was arrangements for dinner, too many guests for numbers of staff,not helped by the male manager bullying female staff members. A meal should not take 2 hours for 3 course!!!!!
with that exception rest of experience was good.

Room Tip: our room overlooked the front and the main road, no noise to speak of.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francish656
Catriona D, General Manager at Jurys Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear francish656

Thank you for taking the time & effort to post a review here on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to read your comments and I would be grateful if you could contact me on Catriona_delaney@jurysinns.com so I can discuss your experience further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Catriona Delaney
General Manager.
01793 445601

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Over the weekend of August 1st to the 4th whilst my wife and our 2 children. 9 and 6, had the misfortune of staying at the Jurys Inn, Swindon.
The accommodation was reasonable, breakfast was buffet style however the evening meal was absolutely diabolical.
First of all, my wife and children got to the hotel late on Friday 1st. They were part of a coach trip organised by Diamond Holidays. The coach had a 3 hour delay. This had knock on affects resulting in the coach arriving at 9:30pm. As you can imagine a 9 and 6 year old boys missing their dinner can be a major thing for a parent on their own.
Upon arrival my wife asked about food and was told nothing was available because the restaurant was busy plus it was past last service. OK not a problem, room service.
My wife asked for some sandwiches which she was told no, they cant do sandwiches but they could do burger and chips!!!
No hot food available in the restaurant, no sandwiches available via room service but they could do burger and chips. By this time one remained hungry and the other too tired after travelling 19 hours from the Morayshire area of Scotland.
Saturday breakfast. My wife was informed that breakfast was for 8:00am.
She got there to find a queue a mile long and people standing in it for at least 1/2 an hour. they were due to leave the hotel to visit Legoland an 1 1/2 hour coach journey away so they would need to be leaving by 9:00am sharp. remembering the previous nights experience she requested that they sit at the bar area to eat.
Saturday 2nd August, evening meal. Arranged for 7:30pm.
My wife and children were seated for 7:30pm, placed their order along with a jug of cold water. 1 hour later they still han't been given their starter or the jug of water. To add insult to injury a waitress then brought along our sons main dish. They finally got the starter then their mains but unfortunately my wife hadn't been served with any food what so ever. By this time our youngest was too tired and wanted to go to bed. luckily I was able to meet them and stayed wit our eldest whilst he finished his mains, but he never got to eat his sweat because it never arrived.
Sunday 3rd August Breakfast was a little more organised however in the evening it got worse. i was able to be there throughout to witness what can only be described as pure shambles.
We placed our order again with a jug of water. Whilst waiting we got talking with others on the trip. All had experienced identical treatment the previous evening.
We waited and waited. Again no water. My wife eventually got up and got a jug of water herself.
then the starters arrived, mine, my wifes and 1 for one of our sons. We informed the waiter of this and that the order he has was wrong. he refused to listen and gave us the food stating that he would go and get the other starter. he never returned.
We sat there for another 10 minutes with any extra service. Serving staff were walking past and could see we were waiting. For pity sake were were seated next the the entrance where every one walked in and out of the restaurant.
By this time it was 8:30pm we had been waiting an hour and no one could give a dam.
We had had enough by this time.
We told staff to cancel the food and walked out.
We walked less than 100 yards round the corner, found a Travel Lodge that would serve us food and within 15 minutes of walking in my family and I were eating.
Hats off to the staff at Travel Lodge Central Swindon for helping us.
As for Jurys Inn, Swindon, if this is how they treat and cater for coach trips/tours then forget it and i hope someone somewhere in the mighty Jurys Inn empire reads this.
To anyone visiting the Swindon area via coach trip and if Jurys Inn Swindon is your hotel hotel, think more than twice about eating there in the evening especially over a weekend.
As for the staff, what appeared to be the floor managers were totally incompetent.
You try to talk to them and they totally ignore you.
If you are part of a coach tour with a base in Swindon, find out where you are staying. If it's Jury's Inn refuse the accommodation or better still dont book the tour. This will be bad for the tour operator however perhaps Jury's Inn Swindon and the group as a whole will sit up and take note when business drops off.
Absolutely disgusting never again.

Room Tip: Dont eat there in the evening
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephen R
Dear Stephen.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your stay last weekend. Naturally it is very disappointing to read your comments and I have now investigated each of your points that you have raised.

I was hoping I would be able to speak with you or your wife regarding your stay and would be delighted if you could email me directly with your contact details to discuss further.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Catriona Delaney
General Manager.
Catriona_Delaney@jurysinns.com
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for two night on a National Holiday coach trip.

Fabulous reception staff. Very helpful. Emailed day before requesting extra pillows which where in the room on arrival.

Rooms: clean room, comfortably beds, clean and we'll equipped bathroom. Fantastic fluffy towels.room serviced everyday.

Evening meal on both night was a set menu as we where on an organised trip, was a little slow and and alittle over cooked.This gave us time to chat to our other coach travellers.

Breakfast on both days was buffet style and amazing, plenty of choice. No complaints.

Bar prices what you expected, a bit pricey in great surrounding. We saw bar meal been brought out which looked really nice.

Overall great place to stay as a Base as Bath and Cambridge is just over an hour away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kathyv09
Catriona D, General Manager at Jurys Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Kathyv09.

Firstly thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor after your recent visit, and also for writing such a great review.

I know our team and management look for new comments each day and will be delighted after reading your feedback.

Thank you again and hope to see you back in Swindon in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I found the staff very accommodating and Breakfast was amazing and our evening meal was lovely

handy place to stay for good value- Train only a few mins walk/Taxi from Hotel

I think it only took us 45 Mins to Bristol and even less to Bath

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visit Jurys Inn Swindon for work on a regular basis, generally it is a good experience. A nice hotel with very customer focused staff.

I work within the hotel and use the conferencing suite, the team and in particular Phillipa make sure my experience memorable and she ensures through regular communication that each day runs smoothly and all our needs are catered for, with nothing being too much trouble. I would thoroughly recommend Jury's for conferencing.

Room Tip: A corner or end room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nickie_S10.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and it is great to see our Conferencing department also get a mention.

I know Philippa strives to ensure we meet our delegates expectations and I will ensure your comments are passed on.

If you need anything further or in addition during your conference or stay please email me directly.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed for three days as part of a group. I found the room comfortable, with the bed and pillows were comfortable . The air conditioning was efficient and the tea and coffee facilities in the room were useful. The shower was large, with plenty of hot water. Our room was at the back of the hotel and we were not disturbed by noise. However the organisation in the dining room in the evenings was unacceptable. The dining room was unable to cope with the number of diners. The quality of the set menus was limited and appeared to consist of frozen food. The staff who served were young, pleasant and doing their best under difficult circumstances. The dining room was busy in the morning, but being self service, was manageable. The quality of breakfast was fine. The old town was within walking distance , up a hill from the hotel. In the evening shops here were closed, but bars and restaurants were available.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Belfastgirl55

Often our guests advise us that they review TripAdvisor ahead of their visit to Jurys Inn Swindon, so I appreciate you personally leaving your feedback after your recent stay.

I certainly enjoyed reading that you found our bedroom facilities of a high standard as I know our Housekeeping Manager takes pride in ensuring we exceed our guests expectations.

I was disappointed to read that our Restaurant was not to your standard, and you found the choice selection poor, however I assure you our food is cooked fresh to order and we often get very positive comments regarding the quality of food that we offer.

Delighted to read you found our team friendly and I will ensure all the team are aware of this feedback.

Should you wish to stay with us in the future or an alternative Jurys Inn please contact me directly and I will gladly & personally look after your reservation.

Redhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The management seem to be totally out of touch with organisation and how to treat their staff. The hotel rooms were nice, housekeeping excellent, clean public areas and then you reach the restaurant which at first glance seems great. However, the poor staff are treated like slaves running about like headless chickens. Lovely girls and guys who are expected to be mind readers and know what to do but without proper leadership. The tall lady who took control on Sunday morning was great and they obviously like her as they went about their duties happily, but not on Sunday night when a different person was running it. The bar lady, small, blonde and doing her best just gave up as she had no help at all. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LillithSophie

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent stay at Jurys Inn Swindon.

Firstly I would like to ensure you that all the management team here at the hotel are very much customer & team focused, and whilst last weekend was extremely busy we did receive a large volume of positive comments.

I will ensure Anna our Housekeeping Manager, Lynn our breakfast supervisor and Justine who worked in our Bar last Sunday evening are aware of your additional comments also.

Finally thank you again for your observations which I will ensure are communicated accordingly at our weekly management meeting to eliminate any reoccurring issues outlined in your feedback.

Please email me directly if I can be of any assistance for a future reservations here or with any of our Jurys Inns across the UK or Ireland.