“Friday 21st March”
Review of Patriot Arms

Patriot Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swindon
Patriot Arms
Ranked #34 of 44 Swindon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a lovely evening with very good friends, at the Patriot Arms.
The food was lovely, no complaints there. 2 of us had the steak, which was cooked to perfection.
After our meal, we were joined by Dickie(Paul) the Landlord and Mike the chef, which ended the evening
Perfectly. They also have live music.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vanessa B

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Went for Sunday lunch.
Much improved menu.
Traditional roast was well presented and show the chef actually knows what he's doing.
The new management have still got a lot to do however to convince people that it's worth coming back.
And from this experience my answer is yes

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank YOGIBEZ
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Popped in for a light lunch, firstly no lunch menu's were available and the pub seemed reaally empty. The decor is not welcoming and I definitely won't be going again. After the young girl eventually found a menu I ordered my lunch. An absolute age later (I was expecting high quality after the wait), the food arrived - the 'salad' was a wilting iceberg lettuce, a chopped red pepper and a slither of spring onion and the chips were obviously straight from a bag into the deep fat fryer, soaking in fat. I did want a bap from the menu but only a baguette was available and not the ciabatta, sandwich or bap were available.
Overall, low quality food in dull surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We didn't stay in a room but I don't seem to be able to submit a review without scoring it so please ignore that score sorry! We visited the Patriot Arms for Sunday lunch. As soon as we arrived the young man behind the bar couldn't do enough for us and already had a high chair strapped to a chair for my son waiting. Our food arrived quickly and was very tasty indeed. They were extremely accommodating and helpful (thank you chef!) to my son's food allergies which is always a plus and a good sign for us instead of getting the usual 'I dunno what's in it' you get in some places and were happy to check any of the ingredients for us. My almost 2 year old ate every last bite as did we. The boat and rabbits were also a bonus! Only small snag was no baby changing facilities. We will definitely return and would like to thank the staff for their helpfulness and diligence with our son's allergies :)

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We went to this pub for an evening meal, their website and menu promised great, home cooked food that was a little better than the usual pub grub you might expect.
When we got there, it was very quiet, maybe three other couples already there.
There were no menus - the food is written on the wall on a chalkboard. Bit disappointed to find that I couldn't have an alternative to chips - like jacket potato - the menu on the website said they did them. I ordered fish and chips, my partner had the duck breast with "garlic fried potatoes".
45 minutes later, our food arrived on smaller than average plates - especially for the type of premises. My fish was the usual sort of offering- certainly overcooked, as were the frozen chips it came with. My partner's duck was also overcooked, despite asking for it to be cooked medium rare. The garlic fried potatoes had no garlic in them either, but plenty of pink peppercorns which meant that was all he could taste. I would suggest that the food had been cooked by someone who was maybe covering for the chef - the boy who brought the food didn't come back and ask if it was ok, like he had done with the other customers. We ended up going to the bar to chase the bill so we could leave. The landlord, after keeping me waiting some time so he could argue with one of his regulars what bar bill they had run up so far, asked if everything was ok. I was a bit reluctant, and he said was there a problem, so I said "Well, yes actually my chips were very burnt". He said "you should have said so, we don't know unless you tell us, we're not mind readers". To be honest, I wouldn't have had the cheek to bring the plate out with food on it that was pretty obviously burnt. And the fact I left them all was another indication.
Very disappointing overall; hardly cheap either, and poor service to boot. I speak as I find, and would have been equally quick to praise had it been warranted. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I had a last minute business trip to Wiltshire and my normal hotel was fully booked, thus decided to stay close to my appointment early in the morning and not in Swindon at a better hotel.

This is an average size pub/B&B in a small village about 7 miles from the centre of Swindon, mainly frequented by locals, many in their teens.

The room I had was small and lacked character but was clean, unfortunately the racket from the pub continued until way past midnight long after closing time and kept me awake.

The in room breakfast was probably the worst moment of my 12 hour stay and could only be described as inedible.

It has some merits as a pub if your in your teens/early 20's but I would not recommend anybody to stay for the B&B.

Had a nice wooden boat playground in the garden which would interest families during the day.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business