“So Long, Farewell, Auf Weidersehen, Goodbye”

Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant
Price range: US$15 - US$37
Cuisines: Indian, Nepalese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: The first and still the only Nepalese restaurant in Swindon, it would be all too easy for the team at Gurkha Village to rest easy. However this fantastically friendly restaurant works tirelessly to maintain the reputation that it has quickly gained here in the town where it sits pretty as a real local favourite. Situated in the town���s Gorse Hill neighbourhood, Gurkha Village is worth the wander from the centre, providing a perfect combination of warm, relaxing atmosphere and deliciously exotic food. Designed with simplicity and comfort in mind, the dining room is fairly frill free, only touches of attractive art and greenery giving hints of the restaurant���s Himalayan heritage. Freshly cooked food is traditional and tempting, the menu offering both Indian style classics such as biryanis and tandoori dishes as well as intriguing Nepalese specials made to authentic home style recipes. A real selling point is Gurkha Village���s dedicated children���s menu which includes English and Indian options - ideal for family dining.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Here ends the wonderful relationship we have had with the Gurkha Village over the last 3 years.

During that time we have introduced many people to this restaurant who have in turn become loyal customers.

No More….

The man that appears to be in charge and I say appears because he is forever running off to make a call to the owner (or is he really ringing Noel Edmunds mystery banker man as we are not convinced he really exists) if we ask something out of the box like “will you honour our groupon voucher?”

He has not been rude but lacks all the wonderful warm qualities which are typical of the regular Nepalese people and what drew us to this restaurant in the first place.

We have visited twice recently. We had pre booked but when we arrived they did not have our reservation. We waited about 15 minutes for a table and presented the groupon voucher on our mobile the first time which he refused to accept despite it being an option on groupon website. He made a call to the banker and Banker said we said if we printed it out and came back he would accept it then.

As we ate here fairly regularly we stayed and had a long delay of 45 minutes for our starters. This was now an hour after our arrival before we got to eat.

Our second visit and I’m afraid we didn’t even get that far. Printed voucher in hand we arrived only for him to say they had had their quota of 16 vouchers for the day and they couldn’t take any more. Another call to the Banker and he came back and said he would accept it on this occasion as we were good customers.

When we placed our order we were told sorry 2 courses means poppadum starter only. This is not what our voucher was for. His attitude was so greasy that it put us off eating and we tried to resolve it at the bar area instead.

Not making any headway we did tell him we would never come back as long as he was there as this would never have happened with any of the previous owners or staff - which by anyone’s standards gave absolutely first class.

Having been to Nepal and experienced their genuinely wonderful hospitality first hand, I have to say this man is not typical of their nationality and I would hate anyone to think he was representative of them.

This used to be number 1 in Swindon according to Trip Advisor reviews.
They don’t need to look far to see why their position has dropped so far.

As it stands we shall never go back whilst this team is there but we will keep an eye on the reviews and if the ownership/manager changes we would be prepared to give new people a chance.

2  Thank roamingjode

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Like others who loved this place, we won't be going there again.

Our first visit with the new owners was poor, food took 45 minutes just for the starters, then they were over apologetic to the point we could not eat our food as they would not leave us alone.

I won't go too much in to the groupon voucher issues, as many others on he have done so already. But they would not accept the voucher on our iPhone as they would only accept it printed out.

Upon returning back on a much quieter night we tried to use the voucher again, sorry you need to book in advance....! Then told we could not have our favourite starter as part of the offer as they had changed the offer.

The staff were very rude to us, and we now feel very said that what was once our number one place to eat lovely food, all because the new owners just don't care.

1  Thank Bryan_Jody
gurkhavillage24_26, Manager at Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Bryan_Jody,

I would like to thank you for giving us opportunity to improve our service and would also like to apologies for any convenience occurred because of our any member of staff. We are taking it seriously and investigating that who had not accepted Groupon voucher on your mobile. On the same time I would like to take an opportunity to clarify the Groupon Voucher offer which has set starters of poppadum and onion bhaji but any other starter of your choice will be charged and this is the original offer. About the time to be served, we try our best to serve as quicker as possible but our foods are freshly cooked, therefore it will take little bit longer than other ready made meals.

I request you to give us an opportunity to serve you with our best service and delicious food.

Thank you.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

After reading mixed reviews I wondered what sort of meal to expect but was very pleased to have a fantastic meal with our groupon vouchers. We were a group of 8 and all our meals arrived together by very pleasant staff.
The onion bahjees were delicious. Try the Ghurkha Special Nan and Gurkha Special Rice both great. I don't usually have lamb as it can be a bit chewy but I had Lamb Shashlick which was very tender. My friends had various curries and were all pleased with their meals and there was plenty to eat. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Carole W
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The best curry I have tasted and I have eaten loads amazing tasting mouth watering my partner hates curry but he said it was absolutely amazing thanks so much

3  Thank Carley-Ann
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I see the same story as others here and wish I had read these before I wasted my time completely last night.

Made my reservation over the phone and mentioned groupon, has no sign of these new 'rules' and terms.

Absolutely fuming when we had already seated and expected to receive what we have paid for and being told the offer had changed.

Poor buisness decisions by these new owners clearly, another irate and non returning customer. Sort it out!

1  Thank Chris F

Hello Chris,

Thank you for visiting our restaurant and would express my apology for any inconvenience occurred because of the ownership changed. We are trying to serve our guest with best service and delicious foods. Your concern about the value of your money is very important and I appreciate the decision made by Groupon to give options either to choose the deal or get refund of your money. It is nothing related with the service providing by our experience waiters and waitresses than the contract between Restaurant owner and Groupon. Therefore we are trying our best to make guests know about the options which groupon has also done by sending emails to the registered email address as per my knowledge.

Therefore, I would like to request you to give us opportunity to serve you again with our best service and food.

Thank you.