“Klutz No More”
Review of Cupcake Passion - CLOSED

Cupcake Passion
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I am a keen cook but previously tended to shy away from anything 'fiddly.' Before now, my icing ability - or lack thereof - has consisted of a dollop of butter icing, roughly smoothed with a knife. I would then spend the next hour removing stray icing from the worktop, the floor, and my hair.

But I am a klutz no longer, thanks to this course - now the proud owner of both a piping bag AND an icing syringe, I am able to make my cakes look as beautiful as they taste. This course allowed us to learn and refine the basic techniques used in frosting and a small amount of sugarcraft, which we were given time and materials to refine. My favourite part was learning to do two-colour icing.

The small-group teaching instilled a great sense of camaraderie, and the warm and friendly teaching style meant that no matter how messy I became (very, incidentally), I did not feel silly. It wasn't just me who was glad I took this course - my family were delighted when I arrived home with a box of large, brightly-iced cakes, which needless to say, did not last long.

This course focussed very much on small-cake icing techniques. I have had several friends who have asked me if I could make their wedding cake, but currently I don't have the skills with royal icing or the faintest idea where to start. If Cupcake Passion were to run a class of this nature I'd be on it like a shot.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

I attended one of Cupcake Passion's many Bristol Morning Cupcake Decorating Course yesterday with my friend. The booking process was done online, a deposit of £10 was paid via PayPal, and an email from Cupcake Passion to confirm booking arrived not long after. All questions that I had regarding the course I was able to find out from Cupcake Passion's Facebook group page, and via email correspondence. All my enquiries were dealt with patiently and professionally.

The course was held at Frenchay Village Hall, Bristol, from 10am to 1pm. We were greeted with welcomes from the organisers and offers of tea/coffee. All the participants arrived on time and we started the course as soon as everyone's arrived.

Lesley started by explaining about gum paste and regal icing (fondant); what they are made of, how to store them, what they're used for. Each of us then made our own decorations using cookie cutters & stamps - and these were set aside for the free-style session at the end.

Then we were each given 1 kg bag of plain buttercream icing. We were taught how to flavour and colour them, and then we were introduced to various piping nozzles and the designs they produce. We then practised the techniques ourselves.

Afterwards, we were each given 12 undecorated cupcakes in 4 flavours - vanilla, chocolate, strawberry & lemon. We were told to incorporate the various piping techniques we have learnt in decorating the cupcakes, and there were also various extra decorations available (edible sparkle dust, glitter pens & sprays).

It was a fast-paced but comfortable course. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the course. Some of us are experienced bakers & all of us came yesterday to the course to learn how to make our cupcakes look gorgeous :) I learnt some valuable basic decorating skills and needless to say hubby and the various friends I have showed the end-result of my 12-decorated cupcakes were impressed as well.

All tools were provided, all ingredients used were suitable for vegetarians. The only tiny thing I would suggest Cupcake Passion to improve, is to find more food flavourings and colourings that are not alcohol-based to suit Muslim and tee-total participants. The only 3 flavourings that I could use yesterday were Almond, Orange (sainsbury's) and Lemon.

Other than that, I thoroughly recommend this course and won't hesitate to join again should Cupcake Passion offer an advanced Decorating Course in the future!

3  Thank hahsiarun
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I attended the 3 hour Cupcake Workshop at Cupcake Passion and I thought it was great! I would definately recommend it for those of you who are serious about learning new skills or those who would just like an enjoyable morning or afternoon being creative! All of the equipment is supplied for you, you dont need to take anything! The lady that taught the class was very welcoming, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic!

Reviewed 14 March 2011

I would highly reccommed this decorating course, it is money well worth spending if it is something you think you might be interested in or want to better your icing skills.
i found it a very relaxing and informative morning and i was not rushed to finish at the end as i am a bit of a slow learner!
It is also handy that there is everything there to buy if you need to once you have finished, The setting is great as you do not feel like you are in a class room which makes spending your day off to do it even more pleasurable and if you take the family along there is lots of activities for them to do in the craft village while they wait for you.
A great hobby that you can spend hours enjoying in your own cupcaking world!

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I attended a Cupcake Passion decorating course in Bristol on Sunday 6th March 2011 and it was brilliant!
All of the Cupcake Passion team were friendly and welcoming and i learned so much.
Hot drinks were provided on arrival and topped and were offered again during the session.

We worked with fondant and gumpaste to create decorations for the cupcakes we would decorate later in the session.

We then worked with buttercream, colouring and flavouring it as we wished and practiced piping techniques.

We were then given 12 cupcakes each presented in a gift box that we decorated using the techniques we had learned during the morning and the decorations we had made. There were also extra lustre sprays and edible glitter that we could help our selves to for our cupcakes if desired.

There were also supplies available to buy on the day and i went home with everything i needed to recreate at home what i had achieved during the session.

Everything was provided and the session was run at a good pace. As a beginner with no previous cake decorating experience i was worried that i wouldn't be able to keep up with some of the others who had some basic knowledge already but i was fine.
Our course instructor Lesley discussed and demonstrated everything as we went through the session and i found we were all on the same level throughout.

I look forward to future events with them and will be travelling to Swindon to visit their shop very soon.

Highly recommended!