“Not your average Asian food”
Review of Mela

Mela
Ranked #68 of 450 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked in as a family of 6. Service was prompt and friendly. We all ordered different dishes from the menu including side dishes as we all wanted to have a little taste from everyone's plate and we were not disappointed. Unlike the usual "curry restaurant", we found that every dish had its unique flavour. The lamb dishes ordered tasted of lamb and were very very tender. The green curry from goa was delicious and mothers chicken tapeli was a hit with everyone. However, if you are used to ordering very spicy curries with "2or 3 chilli's" next to the description of the dish, do not expect to have your mouth on fire with every bite. You may get a huge hit of chilli in one mouthful followed by the delicious other flavours in the next few taste, perfect and as a curry should be. Nothing worse than a chilli hot curry and that's the only element to it. Will definitely be going back

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic evening at Mela - the service was impeccable and the food was delicious. From the surprise complimentary appetiser of potato pakora through to my husband's ice cream-based dessert (I was too full!), everything was perfect.

The poppadoms came with five (!) accompaniments on this occasion - mint raita, onion salad, mango chutney, lime pickle and a gorgeous tamarind sauce. My taweli chingri starter (3 marinated, grilled king prawns) was moist and full of flavour, and the chicken balti (served spicy hot on request) was full of nicely cooked chicken and thick, tasty sauce. It was attractively served too, topped with a circular slice each of red pepper and red onion, plus lemon and fresh coriander. The chickpea and mushroom side dish (dhingri chole) was great, and the plain nan bread was absolutely enormous!

A decent selection of reasonably priced wines and the usual Indian restaurant-style selection of bought-in ice cream desserts were also available. The ambience was nice in this contemporary style restaurant, and the standards of food and service were really special. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I went along to Mela on Saturday night, we have been before but it had been a while since then. After ordering our food, they provided us with a complimentary appetiser of potato pakora. I had the salmon to start with and the King Prawn Jhalejule for my main. Both were excellent; the Jhalejule in particular needs a shout-out for being full to the brim with good sized prawns and the sauce was brilliant as it wasn't at all oily.

Oh and the Naan; it was huge and I had to take half of it home, which is a first for me! Be warned, it's enough for 3 or 4 adults!

The staff were great throughout the evening, very helpful, pleasant and attentive. We will certainly be going back.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely food, friendly staff and good service. A great place for a curry. Have visited twice this month!!

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Ate here with 4 friends . I have been here before but not for a while and I have reminded myself to go there more often. Food was lovely and the menu is more interesting than your usual curry houses. The nan bread is HUGE ! They even gave us ladies a bottle of wine to take home. Great service great food and an enjoyable evening