“Appauling”

The Great Western Hotel Swindon
Ranked #22 of 44 Swindon B&B and Inns
“Appauling”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Apparently customer service is less important than making sure the music is ok. How dated and unprofessional. Remember where the money comes in when the rooms aren't full. Wont be going back. Shoddy management.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Charlie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Ofe been going to the gw for years but never again. The service is shocking, has been for a couple of months. When I suggested that the manager should spend more time dealing with the queue of customers and less time on his laptop, I was told that it was none of my business and that "we dont care what you think anyway". I wasn't abusive or rude, as testified by other customers, but I was shocked by the treatment and attitude Of the management. Go to the QT across the road; doesnt look much but cheaper, better beer and friendlier service

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank maccadavid

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night and it was an awful experience. After checking in at the bar, the bar man, who was the only member of staff we saw just told us the way to our room and didn't bother showing us. He didn't tell us anything about checking out or the breakfast times.

After checking in we decided to get a drink in the bar. After being told they were out of half the draught beers we were eventually served our drinks in dirty glasses which were slammed down in front of us.
At 8.30 we decided to order some food. However when we went to order we were told that they stopped serving at 8 and when I asked why the menus were still out on the tables the bar man just shrugged. My partner and I choose to sit outside while the sun was out but in the 45 minutes we were, we had 2 occasions when prostitutes approached us asking if we'd like to 'do buisness'.

The windows in the room were so pointless they may as well not be there. We ensured they were closed before we went to bed but could still hear every car and every arguement (of which there were many) so loudly I even got up to make sure they were closed.

After a terrible nights sleep I went to use the kettle provided in the room to make some coffee but once noticing the amount of limescale in it and the fact there was already water in there (who knows how long that had been in there) I thought better of it.

I've stayed in many hotels over the years but this is, by far, easily the worst!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Bristol1577
Reading
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This pub offers good value accommodation (I paid £45 single ensuite including breakfast).

Upside: cheap, close to station, good beer downstairs, hearty breakfast, free wifi

Downside: rough round the edges, small TV, not very hot water

Overall I would stay here again since it offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Whitland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed one night for business and was very disappointed.
To check in I had to go to the bar, not nice as a woman staying on her own to have to book in at the bar. Although I have to say the staff were very pleasant.

The bar area looks newly refurbished but is let down by the accommodation. The corridors look dated and tired. On arriving at the room I was very surprised at the poor state and bad standard. The bedding was at least clean but that was it! The room was tatty and stained in places on walls and carpets. The windows looked onto a back area of derelict buildings. The blinds were so old they were badly frayed but at least blocked out the view. The bathroom was clean but again basic, plastic cups on the sink, a plastic shower curtain throw over the shower rail in the bath.

Tea and coffee was provided in the room but in limited quantity and no decaf. I had been told breakfast was served in the bar and have to say I didn't fancy the experience of having breakfast in a pub, so did without and bought a coffee from the Costa at the station.

The staff were pleasant but the building, facilities and decor made it feel very tatty and I was glad to check out in the morning. I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Bought a voucher through groupon, so got excellent value, but in all honesty? even at full cost, with location and amenities, it's a good budget choice.
The hotel is clean, the staff pleasent, the breakfast hearty
free parking for residents (just ask for token to put in your car) Full english included (ignore note in room saying it's extra)
We had a room on the first floor, spacious double with ensuite. tea, coffee facilities, fresh clean towells and warm down dovet and pillows. Shower took a bit of mastering, and there was the odd scuff on the walls, etc. But seeing as yopu are opposite the railway? I never heard a single train! (actually, pigeons woke me in the morning rather than traffic)
The TV in the room froze a few times, but easily restarted.
The staff where amazing.
It's in a great place, right opposite the ralway, and within 5 mins walk from shopping central, and 20 mins walk to old town. so all Swindon has to offer is on your doorstep.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wilts78
portsmouth
Reviewed 26 October 2012

could have the making of a great hotel, but needs a good hoover!!!!and a clean all through, sheets and towels clean but lots of dust/hairs around egdes of carpet where the hoover doesnt reach,great location good pub atmosphere, sorry to say we
wouldnt stay again, great price or not.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple