Village Hotel Swindon
Alexandra House(Wroughton)
US$70
US$70
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$62
US$51
US$48
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$78
US$163
US$151
2,430 results
All reviewsitalian restaurantpizza hutclub roomvictory pubthe upper deckbowling alleylaser questleisure parkice rinkleisure facilitiesgreat facilitiesswimming poolcoffee machinelovely hotelsteam roomenjoyable staylovely room
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The good points were :

Friendly reception staff
Free wi-fi

The bad points (far outweighed the good points):

The dark bedrooms look like they've been designed by someone on acid.
The mattress was like a wooden board and the hard rubber pillows were dreadful.- time to invest in quality bedding !
I ate in the in-house "Victory Pub" - my chille con carne came swimming in water and tasted foul.
The staff in the Victory were pretty hopeless - I was mis-charged on both the meal and the wine, and getting served isn't easy.
When I got my bill, a charge of £3-80 mysteriously appeared for a vodka and coke which I never had (I can't stand vodka).
Service in the breakfast room was awfu - on entering I was challenged by the head waiter with a brusque "Room Number " - no welcome/please/thank you.
No-one asked if I wanted tea or toast at breakfast despite there being five waiting staff on. When I'd started my cooked breakfast, and asked for it, three seperate lots arrived.
I ordered a Daily Mail - on my bill they charge £1-50 for this 50p newspaper - I queried this and was told it involved a "delivery charge" - it's funny how other hotels don't stick this insulting charge onto a bill- it's bad enough that they charge an extra £2-50p for paying your bill with a credit card - totally disgraceful.

Needless to say, I will not be returning.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank wroughtironron
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Only stayed for one night but was very enjoyable. Upon arrival we checked into a room with the toilet seat hanging off! One call to reception and 5 mins later we were in a new room so can't complain with that. The room suffered from the same problem as previous reviews suggest, the headboard was caped in dust and the final touches of cleaning were not the best. The room was not dirty just a couple of minor downers for the cleaners. All staff were very friendly and polite and very genuine. We used the swimming pool, spa bath, steam room and sauna all were great and the gym looked good. We ate in the victory pub and it was brilliant. We ate from a set menu as it was included with the room and it was one of the best meals we have had. We paid £92 for bed, breakfast and evening meal and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Stayed her for a 3 day business trip. First impressions very good with fantastic welcome at reception. The newly renovated rooms are large and well decorated although may be a little dark and masculine for some tastes. Nice coffee shop in reception and 2 restaurants. The new italian style serving a range of pasta dishes. Not cheap but the portions were large (maybe too large) Food of a reasonable standard but rather too much pasta and not enough taste. Wine very expensive. Breakfast is also served here and is the standard serve yourself style. This was excellent freshly cooked and plenty of choice. The second eatery is the bar. Price of drinks average for this area and menu mainly burgers, chicken wings, pizza etc. Again the food was good value but please please get more staff behind the bar. On the days I was there was only one batman who seemed over worked and totally disinterested. Very long waits due to this. Overall a pleasant stay and only marked down due to the restaurant service. Would recommend for business, couple , touring base. Also has well appointed health club

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Bilbos_Dad
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Interesting idea that if your room is ready, you can check in early, but for a £10 premium. I chose to wait.

I have stayed here before and the rooms have been re-furbished since. They look superb, with a very modern look. There’s quote a large, flat screen TV, a radio alarm clock that includes an Iphone dock, a superbly comfortable bed, blinds AND curtains, to really darken the room if you want a rest in the day, a hair drier, ironing board and plenty of power sockets. Overall, the room was superb.

The room looked different to most hotels, but the bathroom was just like any other. It was clean though and included a bath and shower. When I brushed my teeth in the morning, I found the sink to be blocked.

Three main gripes – One is that I tried to call reception in the morning, to find out the check-out time. I called 6 times over the course of an hour and each time, the phone just rang and rang. I never got an answer. In the end, I had to go down and ask

Breakfast was a buffet style, but wasn’t great! It wasn’t very warm and didn’t seem all that well cooked.

Noise – The hotel advertises itself for stag and hen partys and clearly aims at partys in general. There was a wedding on the day of my stay. I was right above it and made allowances for the noise. However, at 2.30am, unable to sleep for the noise, I decided to take a walk outside and found that the party had finished. Staff were moving tables around downstairs and had a radio playing at full volume at 2.30 in the morning. I wasn’t impressed.

Once this stopped, I got a pretty good sleep in the very nice bed in the very nice room.

Overall, my stay wasn’t a bad experience and I will be back, but it wasn’t all positive

Room Tip: at the back of the hotel, away from function rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I like this hotel because they have got all the basics right and with quite decent quality, but this hotel seems to work for everybody. Most times it's buzzing, but you can find a quiet corner. They seem to have lots of functions, but they've never affected us with noise or making the service worse etc., The hotel has put in a Costa coffee, an american italian restaurant and made the bar into more of a pub. None of which I thought I'd like, but it really works. I also like the fact that it's quite informal, but still has good standards and the customers seem to respect this, and seem to be just nice sensible ordinary people.. I've been here quite a few times because the location is good for me, and not bothered to review it, but we're back and I thought they deserve to have their efforts recognised.

Room Tip: They often do king size rooms at the same price
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple