“budget stay to a lovely hotel”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed over here on the home from Devon. Not disapointed. Lovely breakfast and pool area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mariemc_04
Write a ReviewReviews (2,330)

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Bar a few niggles we would be rating this hotel better - this is the first time we have stayed in a room here, but visited many times before as it was local to where we lived until recently. The recent "Village" makeover is quite welcome, with the addition of a handy Starbucks and creation of the family atmosphered Victory Pub and Buca Italian restuarant. The decor isn't all tasteful but it does give the new feel to common spaces and rooms.

The room we had was a reasonable deal for two nights and included breakfast. The room was spacious enough for what we needed and looked out onto the inner courtyard - this was our biggest problem - directly below the room was the entrance to the courtyard from function rooms so was busy all night and due to echoes quite loud, even into the early morning. As this was being repeated on the second night we asked if there was a way to move us, but with a full hotel told this was not possible but they could shut the doors at 11PM to discourage people gathering below our room. This didn't happen but it did quiten down after midnight.

Second problem with room was heat! lack of a breeze meant that even with windows open wider on the second night (less noise!) it was uncomfortably hot in the room, A fan would have been handy as there was no aircon - and as there was no room fridge or ice bucket / facilities meant that cooler refreshing drinks could not be kept to hand. Bit dissapointed here that there was no "hotel directory" to help you find out what facilities were available, timings of breakfast, checkout etc. if you couldn't remember from check-in. Minor maybe but another niggle!

The star status reduction was a surprise at first due to the size and cost of the refit, but a reminder of why is probably also shown in the lack of toiletries in the bathroom - handwash and shower / bath wash dispensers is all that is provided now.

Final one - charge for newspapers. Not many hotels nowadays seem to give a complimentary newspaper - understandable when on lower room rates, but to charge a £1 to deliver to the room is a bit cheeky (especially as the first mornings paper didn't materialise) - the refund was made after a second reminder!

Plus points:
free wi-fi internet
leisure club has quite reasonable facilities, although the pool is a bit small and shallow.
free parking
comfortable bed
clean
skimmed milk and decaf options with in-room Tea and coffee facilities
good choice of eating at reasonable prices
Starbucks on site
proximity to Shaw Ridge Liesure park and local leasire facilities
proximity to Lydiard country park

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DDV558
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed at the Village Swindon for one night with our two children, on the way back to London from a lovely stay at the Hilton Cadbury in Bristol. My husband and I had stayed at the De Vere Swindon many times before it had changed to the Vilalge. Very dissapointing. Reception check in was ok, receptionist freindly enough but telling us that if we wanted to dine in the Italian restaruant it was already full from 7pm to 8.30 pm (no good to us with young kids ! ). She also then went on to tell me children had to be out the pool on Saturday by 12 oclock midday, again not very child freindly . The hotel was very busy with people everywhere. On entering the room it had been redecorated in a very business like and manly way. The room was extremely dark. This room was set up for a business man as the mirror on the dressing table was impossible to use to do hair or make up. The bathroom was still the original and the hotel had forgotten to alter the entrance to the bathroom where there was a kind of step where we all kept tripping over. We dined in the pub, which was good value as we had paid for inclusive dinner. The staff in the pub were very helpful and the food arrived very quickly. Very dissapointed with the pool and gym area. The whole area is set out mainly for members of the club rather then the guests. The woman at the desk of the gym area was not happy we had not bought down our room towels ( why would you use them to swim and use after shower ? ) The pool was very very busy. Swimming lessons were using half of the pool, no chairs available to sit , very much like a public pool then a hotel pool. Also the floor surrounding the pool area was dirty with hair. The breakfast was in the Italian restaurant and was absoultey disgusting, there was no waiting staff to greet us at the entramce we had to find our own table and all the tables had dirtly crockery waiting to be cleared. We had breakfast at 9 oclock and found that the cold food had run out, no croisants, no butter. I asked a staff member about cereal for kids and he was so rude and abrubt to me telling me No ! Using this restaurant for breakfast was not the right ambiance you want first thing in the morning, too over the top with chandeliers, and assorted photos covering the walls. All in all a huge dissapointment , think the de vere village are not trying to target breaks for families, after a wonderful few days in Bristol this really spoilt our few days away.

Room Tip: Make sure you get to the Breakfast room early !
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Eltonfamily
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is a good quality hotel complex, easily reached and located just off the M4, with a large supermarket, swimming pool and cinema very close by. The hotel has it's own good quality gym (no under 16s allowed) and pool/ spa/ sauna as well as internal bars and restaurants. The Italian restaurant is good, although not cheap. The Victory bar/ pub is themed as a sports bar and is OK for children. Food there was fine, although we had a problem with one dish that was quickly and professionally taken care of by a very apologetic manager. In fact, all the staff we met were friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were excellent. The rooms themselves are well appointed, comfortable and very clean, since (I believe) the complex was updated earlier in the year. if you can get a deal for multiple nights (to include meals/ breakfast) this is an excellent option for a few days relaxation in Wiltshire, with both Avebury and Stonehenge not far away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I am writing this from room 156 whilst my husband is on a business course here. I really like this hotel. We arrived on tues evening late so grabbed a drink and some food in the victory pub. The food was normal pub food and average really. We haven't used the buck de peep Italian and we are leaving this pm but we really should have as everyone is raving about the food. In fact it seems that alot of people who aren't staying here dine in this place. Breakfast is served in here and the restaurant is lovely. The breakfast is buffet style and the food is very good. Last night we ate at the taj mahal Indian just over the road and again the food was very good. There is a large courtyard invent centre of the hotel for all to enjoy (particularly the smokers). There is a gym, pool snd leisure suite on the lower ground floor and healthworks on the 2nd floor offering an array if treatments. I've had gel overlays and I'm booked in for a pedicure a bit later. We have paid £20 for a late check out room which means I can leave the room at 2pm. I will prob walk down to Starbucks (in the hotel) and have a nice latte til hubby is finished. The room has luxury zealy beds and I've slept really well. Also good shower and flat screen tv with a large range of channels and there is free wifi as well. The only criticism I would have is that the hotel is quite dark but you Sion get used to it. I've marked it down on cleanliness but this is only because the staff are not quick to clear plates, glasses away. Overall, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I booked the hotel via the website and managed to get a Suite King Room for a good price.

The hotel is modern and located near a local out of town entertainment venue, bowling, cinema and restaurant.

My room was very good, the bed was comfortable, large flat screen TV in both the lounge and the bedroom, décor good and modern. I eat in the themed Italian restaurant which was busy, but that did not effect the service our food. I did not use the bar but it too looked to be popular with a bar menu on offer. Breakfast was fine too.

Overall a very good stay, I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Booked this hotel via internet for my son interest in the locality. His booking was for the whole week and I also stayed on the last night of his visit, so this is a joint review.

Expensive for mid-week and Saturday only stays

At first glance it's a vibrant hotel and the refurbishment looks good but the rooms are a little inpractical in the layout. No plug by the tea and coffee so it has to be moved and steam right next to the telly. Mirror isn't where the hairdryer is. Baths an odd shape.
Little things perhaps, but seems to give the impression that the guest was not the main priority.

The noise in both rooms at either side of the hotel was, however, so bad it interuppted sleep on every night. The large car park adjacent to the hotel is not exclusive. It is shared with a lesuire complex and appears to be used by boy-racers every night as loud exchanges, engine revving and accelation went on until the early hours.
An external area adjacent to the reception area and used by smokers was under my room and I experienced raucous bahaviour with persistent bad language until after 1.00am. At 4.00am the metal tables and chairs were dragged around; I can only assume by cleaners. Once they had finished about 30 minutes later a cleaner with a metal pan started clunking around.

The daily housekeeping in rooms appearred to be a bit hit and miss on times and you should definitely use the do not disturb and make the room up notices. Unfortunately bed wasn't made up very well and sheets which should have been replaced weren't. The good side is that when contacted housekeeping did arrive quickly to address the issue.

The bath flooded the bathroom from the seal at the bottom on the morning I stayed and it took the best part of an hour for somebody to come so most of the bath ended up on the floor and we were left without use of the facility.

The good side is that the Housekeeping Manager was extremely concerned regarding the problems we had experienced in his area once he knew about them. I got a small refund because of the noise and bath flooding; but for virtually no sleep and no use of the bathroom in the morning, which were both directly as a consequence of hotel failings, I don't think I should have been charged at all.

Room Tip: Rooms 272 faces the shared car park. 188 is over the outside smoking area.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo