“Pool/Gym excellent.”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Bedford
“Pool/Gym excellent.”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Hotel easy to get to from M4, Good position with Asda, cineworld, bowling etc. within walking distance. Room was clean and well equipped although a bit hot . Free internet was good, but phone charges from room were very expensive (any call connection is high cost). Gym and Pool are really good and the staff in the gym very helpful. Staff on reception during day were very freindly in contrast to the ones in the evening who were very jobs-worth. Room was good value but food/drink seemed expensive.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room choose one on the inside of the buiding (not facing a road)
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I visited this hotel on business in August and was impressed with the modern layout, location and facilities. I was placed in a far end of a wing of the hotel which was fine but since I had a lot of luggage it was a bit of a drag to lug this all the way.

The issues that I had were as follows:
(to which I have not had a response)

(i) my keycard stopped working on one evening and I had to return to reception to get this re-coded - I didnt receive an apology for the inconvenience - the receptionist was very dour in her attitude
(ii) on the 2nd day of my stay I was ushered into the bar (which is used an overflow area) for my breakfast , which was strange since there was plenty of room in Bucca ( I was on my own at the time - (the bar area was very dark). To add insult to injury I was then told that I needed to get my own toast and coffee - in Bucca this was brought to my table (the day vefore).

When I queried this with the junior waiting staff I was told that was what she was instructed to say to customers. I expressed my irritation at the different treatment of guests and she then offered to get my toast and Coffee.

When I raised this issue with the same member of reception staff on checkout (note that she didnt ask me about my stay - which is something that should always be done) she seemed surprised that I wanted to complain.

She took details and assured me that these would be passed to the manager.
I havent heard anything since my complaint was made.(I suspect that these werent passed to the manager)

It is a shame that my stay was spoilt by the attitude of this member of reception staff. This makes me question why this individual is working in such a customer facing role. The manager of this hotel needs to address this situation to ensure the customer experience reflects the standard of the hotel which was excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kb1065
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This Hotel is located a couple of miles outside Swindon just off the M4. It is surrounded by plenty of entertainment options such as Ten Pin and a muti screen Cinema. There is also a Pizza Hut and Fusion Restaurant if you do not want to eat in the Hotel. There is also an Asda and shopping centre just accross the road.

In the Hotel there are a couple of eating options. We ate in the Bucca de Beppe for the Sunday carvery. We have eaten there before on a normal night and found the food qualtiy to be higher then. The selection of starters and deserts for the Carvery set meal were very good as was the cheese board but the main meal carvery was not much to write home about. tired vegetables such as brown cabbage and sprouts are not ideal! The Roast potatoes were also not particularly nice.

we booked a family room as there are five of us in our party. If there are more than two adults in your party then you need to book direct with the Hotel as the online booking will not allow it. the room was absolutely huge with a kingsizes bed, two single beds pushed together and a double sofa bed. There was also a huge television and more space than you could imagine. the bathroom was new and clean and tidy.

We did use the leisure centre which has a lovely swimming pool which we were lucky enough to hav eto ourselves. check opening times for children though as I believe after 6pm is adults only.

All the staff were very helpful from reception to the waiting staff. We did have an issue when it came to paying the bll for our meal as it had been confirmed on booking that they were offering a family of four to eat for £25 but when I was given my bill it was far more than that and none of the staff apparently knew about the offer. As we were clelbrating an anniversary I did not want any more fuss but on returning home saw on the De Vere site that the offer for Sunday 18th december was still there. When I telephoned the Hotel to ask if I could have a refund I waited no less than three times for a call back from the supposed Marketing Manager keiran. I have still not spoken to the illusive kieran but have had my money refunded. This has taken the shine off what would have otherwise been a faultless stay.

Customer service was not good regarding the mistake on the Restaurant Manager's part for not informing his staff of the offer and was definately not good from the head of marketing!!

If you are expecting to take advantage of any offers that are advertised on their site - print it off on your computor. the hotel itself is very good and well worth a visit.

The staff are faultless in their

Room Tip: If you are booking a family room for more than two adults then it must be done direct with the hotel...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

All good bar air con in bedrooms which was awfull, very hot and sticky!!! Good gym and bar

• Stayed July 2011
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Do not eat in the restaurant as the service and standard of the food is awful. The Manager could not care less and this totally ruined our planned weekend. To top it all be careful of the pre-authorisation on your credit / debit card as they do not release the funds upon check out and we are still chasing the money 5 days later.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IAN B
essex
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here for three nights with a girlfriend as a spa weekend treat.The hotel looks very nice on the outside, it is situated on a leisure park, across the road from a Cineworld,Bowling alley, Indian and Chinese restaurant. The reception staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. We were given room 219, very quiet and very close to Healthworks where we were having our treatments.The room itself was large and clean but as previously stated very dark, however reception lent us a reading lamp when asked.The bathroom was good apart from taps not really fitted properly in the refurb, hence holes still in the tiles.We ate in the Italian one night and found the waiters cheerful and the food good.Pool was quite small but very nice, only a few chairs and very busy when we were there, sauna and steamroom also small but nice. Gym large and although we didnt use looked fab.Healthworks was fab, treatments all great and therapists very good and very friendly, will definately return there! Breakfast good choice,fruit,yoghurt,cereal,toast pastries and full English breakfast.McArthur Glen outlet centre 5 mins away and Swindon Town Centre about 7 mins away.All in all a nice stay and I would definately return.

Room Tip: room 219 was very quiet, nonoise at all
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The beds were to die for, so comfortable and the room was furnished beautifully furnished. We stayed in room 172. It overlooked the car park, but we heard no disturbance.
Pool was very good as was the jacuzzi and sauna and steam room.
Breakfast was excellent and plentiful.
Bar was good food, but restaurant a little disappointing......needs a better italian menu!!
Staff were excellent.....homely feel about the hotel.
Last but not least retail therapy at the outlet village. We will return!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends