The Village De Vere isn't a bad hotel by any means. It just isn't that good either.
The hotel is based in Shaw Ridge leisure park which was built at some point in the 1990's. It's main features are a cinema, 10-pin bowling alley and nightclub along with a few chain restaurants.
The hotel itself features an Italian-American themed restaurant (think Frankie & Benny's on heat), a pub (think Wetherspoons) and a Starbucks coffee house (enough said!). On top of that is a very well appointed and newly refurbished gym with the latest exercise equipment (although the pool and spa area is a little dated). Finally, the main draw to this hotel is the ample meeting/conferencing spaces all kitted out with decent office equipment.
But... If you want to have a comfortable nights sleep here then think again! The rooms look newly refurbished but some of the finishes are somewhat lacking. Although the size of the rooms are very good - Just don't go expecting nice views... Unless you like looking down on roads and service yards.
The beds are brand new Sealy affairs but the rooms are so hot it is incredibly difficult ever to get comfortable. It would of been nice to have a nice bottle of complimentary water to stave off the dehydration that struck in the small hours of the night but this and other little 'extras' were lacking.
Bathroom amenities extended as far as a soap dispenser on the wall, TV viewing options were strictly limited to Freeview channels only.
I'm not quite sure what the interior designers were thinking when they decided to update the bathrooms by painting the ceiling boudoir red. It certainly wasn't hiding the fact that the bathroom suite itself was rather tired.
Signs of neglect or just poor materials were evident throughout the hotel.
However, the public lobby is well appointed, the hotel is very clean, the staff seem lovely and at some point they have taken the trouble to include photos of Swindon on the walls of the hotel.
It just seems that a once up-market hotel chain is in the process of being Premier Inn-ed and travellers who want something with a more personal feel should beware. That said, good luck finding that in Swindon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Village Hotel Swindon is situated on Shaw Ridge Leisure Park and 3 miles from Swindon Town Centre. The Leisure Park has a bowling alley, multi screen cinema, restaurant, Pizza Hut and a public house. Within walking distance is an ice skating rink, a small shopping area with supermarket, post office, pharmacy, petrol station. Great Western Designer Outlet Village is within a 10 minute walk. Village Hotel Swindon has 147 bright and modern bedrooms, a choice of stylish dining or a traditional pub, Starbucks Coffee Shop, a relaxing Spa, state-of-the-art Health and Fitness Club, Swimming Pool, Meeting and Conference Centre, Live Party Nights, Wedding Licence, free wi-fi throughout the hotel and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Village Hotel Swindon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Village Swindon Hotel Swindon
- Swindon De Vere Shaw Ridge
- Village Hotel Swindon Wiltshire