“Great break for a young family”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed here for a few days to get away from the Xmas hubbub and it was superb. Great for the kids. Pool and restuaruants on site, and soft play, cinema, supermarket all within easy walking distance. Great service. Newly refurbed. Excellent prices. We had a suite - perfect for a few days. Location not brilliant, but we weren't there to experience the natural wonders!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Overall a consistently good hotel. Clean, comfortable and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The Village De Vere isn't a bad hotel by any means. It just isn't that good either.

The hotel is based in Shaw Ridge leisure park which was built at some point in the 1990's. It's main features are a cinema, 10-pin bowling alley and nightclub along with a few chain restaurants.

The hotel itself features an Italian-American themed restaurant (think Frankie & Benny's on heat), a pub (think Wetherspoons) and a Starbucks coffee house (enough said!). On top of that is a very well appointed and newly refurbished gym with the latest exercise equipment (although the pool and spa area is a little dated). Finally, the main draw to this hotel is the ample meeting/conferencing spaces all kitted out with decent office equipment.

But... If you want to have a comfortable nights sleep here then think again! The rooms look newly refurbished but some of the finishes are somewhat lacking. Although the size of the rooms are very good - Just don't go expecting nice views... Unless you like looking down on roads and service yards.

The beds are brand new Sealy affairs but the rooms are so hot it is incredibly difficult ever to get comfortable. It would of been nice to have a nice bottle of complimentary water to stave off the dehydration that struck in the small hours of the night but this and other little 'extras' were lacking.

Bathroom amenities extended as far as a soap dispenser on the wall, TV viewing options were strictly limited to Freeview channels only.

I'm not quite sure what the interior designers were thinking when they decided to update the bathrooms by painting the ceiling boudoir red. It certainly wasn't hiding the fact that the bathroom suite itself was rather tired.

Signs of neglect or just poor materials were evident throughout the hotel.

However, the public lobby is well appointed, the hotel is very clean, the staff seem lovely and at some point they have taken the trouble to include photos of Swindon on the walls of the hotel.

It just seems that a once up-market hotel chain is in the process of being Premier Inn-ed and travellers who want something with a more personal feel should beware. That said, good luck finding that in Swindon!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Hotel easy to get to from M4, Good position with Asda, cineworld, bowling etc. within walking distance. Room was clean and well equipped although a bit hot . Free internet was good, but phone charges from room were very expensive (any call connection is high cost). Gym and Pool are really good and the staff in the gym very helpful. Staff on reception during day were very freindly in contrast to the ones in the evening who were very jobs-worth. Room was good value but food/drink seemed expensive.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room choose one on the inside of the buiding (not facing a road)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I visited this hotel on business in August and was impressed with the modern layout, location and facilities. I was placed in a far end of a wing of the hotel which was fine but since I had a lot of luggage it was a bit of a drag to lug this all the way.

The issues that I had were as follows:
(to which I have not had a response)

(i) my keycard stopped working on one evening and I had to return to reception to get this re-coded - I didnt receive an apology for the inconvenience - the receptionist was very dour in her attitude
(ii) on the 2nd day of my stay I was ushered into the bar (which is used an overflow area) for my breakfast , which was strange since there was plenty of room in Bucca ( I was on my own at the time - (the bar area was very dark). To add insult to injury I was then told that I needed to get my own toast and coffee - in Bucca this was brought to my table (the day vefore).

When I queried this with the junior waiting staff I was told that was what she was instructed to say to customers. I expressed my irritation at the different treatment of guests and she then offered to get my toast and Coffee.

When I raised this issue with the same member of reception staff on checkout (note that she didnt ask me about my stay - which is something that should always be done) she seemed surprised that I wanted to complain.

She took details and assured me that these would be passed to the manager.
I havent heard anything since my complaint was made.(I suspect that these werent passed to the manager)

It is a shame that my stay was spoilt by the attitude of this member of reception staff. This makes me question why this individual is working in such a customer facing role. The manager of this hotel needs to address this situation to ensure the customer experience reflects the standard of the hotel which was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kb1065
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This Hotel is located a couple of miles outside Swindon just off the M4. It is surrounded by plenty of entertainment options such as Ten Pin and a muti screen Cinema. There is also a Pizza Hut and Fusion Restaurant if you do not want to eat in the Hotel. There is also an Asda and shopping centre just accross the road.

In the Hotel there are a couple of eating options. We ate in the Bucca de Beppe for the Sunday carvery. We have eaten there before on a normal night and found the food qualtiy to be higher then. The selection of starters and deserts for the Carvery set meal were very good as was the cheese board but the main meal carvery was not much to write home about. tired vegetables such as brown cabbage and sprouts are not ideal! The Roast potatoes were also not particularly nice.

we booked a family room as there are five of us in our party. If there are more than two adults in your party then you need to book direct with the Hotel as the online booking will not allow it. the room was absolutely huge with a kingsizes bed, two single beds pushed together and a double sofa bed. There was also a huge television and more space than you could imagine. the bathroom was new and clean and tidy.

We did use the leisure centre which has a lovely swimming pool which we were lucky enough to hav eto ourselves. check opening times for children though as I believe after 6pm is adults only.

All the staff were very helpful from reception to the waiting staff. We did have an issue when it came to paying the bll for our meal as it had been confirmed on booking that they were offering a family of four to eat for £25 but when I was given my bill it was far more than that and none of the staff apparently knew about the offer. As we were clelbrating an anniversary I did not want any more fuss but on returning home saw on the De Vere site that the offer for Sunday 18th december was still there. When I telephoned the Hotel to ask if I could have a refund I waited no less than three times for a call back from the supposed Marketing Manager keiran. I have still not spoken to the illusive kieran but have had my money refunded. This has taken the shine off what would have otherwise been a faultless stay.

Customer service was not good regarding the mistake on the Restaurant Manager's part for not informing his staff of the offer and was definately not good from the head of marketing!!

If you are expecting to take advantage of any offers that are advertised on their site - print it off on your computor. the hotel itself is very good and well worth a visit.

The staff are faultless in their

Room Tip: If you are booking a family room for more than two adults then it must be done direct with the hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2011

All good bar air con in bedrooms which was awfull, very hot and sticky!!! Good gym and bar

• Stayed: July 2011