“It's OK, nothing great.”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Cardiff
“It's OK, nothing great.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed here as part of a spa break with my wife. The hotel itself is quite nice and pleasant, our room was a little disappointing as it had no air con so we had to open the windows, however you cannot leave the windows open when you leave your room due to the rather large flat roof right outside the window, meaning anyone who had access to the first floor roof could get into your room. As part of the package we had 2 spa treatments, which were nice, we then used the pool and sauna facilities, again these were nice. We had a few drinks in the bar (expensive but not completely over priced for a hotel) and then a complimentary meal in the Italian restaurant. Most of the other restaurant patrons seemed to be there on a similar offer, it was very quiet (not busy). The Italian restaurant was the most disappoint aspect of our stay. The hotel is in quite a scruffy looking area, there is an Asda a short walk across the road and in the adjacent car park is a bowling alley and cinema. We made use of the cinema which was ok (nothing special). When I booked I thought we were getting good value at £92 per person (including the nightly stay, the meal and the spa treatments) now I look back this isn’t particularly great value given the shoddy meal and grim looking location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is a fantastic hotel and I stay here regularly however the buca restaurant is terrible. This hotel has fantastic rooms modern spacious and very comfortable. The facilities around the hotel are excellent the pinacle of which is a gym area that surpasses most dedicated gyms. However the food in Buca restaurant is atrocious. I've complained before about it and ended up with stand up argument with the restaurant manager. Today they have changed the menu which I hoped was a change the good however having just ordered the most uneadible steak I have ever had the misfortune to have ordered, I thought I would right this review and hope someone in the hotel is listening rather than complain, as I'd sooner pay the price than have another standup argument with the restaurant manager. I can recommend the hotel, but I would steer clear of the food and eat out!!

Room Tip: Do not eat the food it's terrible!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Bournemouth
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Went here recently for a spa weekend with some friends. The hotel was easy to find, just off M4 and is situated in a leisure park that has restaurants and cinemas etc. Plenty of free parking. We were greeted by the manager as we walked in, he chatted to us while the receptionist booked us in. Everything went plain sailing. We had two rooms booked, our spa treatments booked and our dinner reservation booked. The rooms were lovely and spacious, the beds very comfortable. Nice wide screen T.V. They have hair dryers in the room (which i was happy to find out as i'd forgotten mine!). The bathroom was a nice nice with a shower in a bath. The only issue we had was the shower didnt work properly (unless you like scoulding hot showers that rip your skin off of course!). The towels were hung on a heated rail which was a nice touch but were unaware of so ended up burning ourselves (so be warned!). The rooms were very clean but its noisy with a window open but its stuffy without a window open, they dont have air con.
The leisure facilities its self was very nice but very small and it gets very busy. There was a small swimming pool with a baby pool attached, a jaccuzi, steam room, sauna and gym. The only issue with this we had was that we had booked spa treatments (massage, facial etc) which were on the second floor and the leisure facilities are on the ground floor, so you have to go up and down either in the lift or stairs to get to each (which is not good when you're walking around in your swim suit and towel!). Dinner was very nice, a three course meal included in our package but they changed the menu at the last minute which disapointed us as there was loads we could choose off the first menu but we were limited on the new menu. The breakfast in the morning was very nice, choce of a fry up or cereal or pasteries etc.All in all it was a very nice stay, glad i only stayed one night though. The hotel is close to the town centre which we went to shopping and they have a huge outlet centre which is a must see! I'd recommened this hotel but dont expect too much.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

what a lovely clean hotel, hotel reception is great, the room was very clean and up to date, the girls in the spa were lovely, the meal in buca restaurant was fantastic as were the staff, the only complaint i have was the food and attitude of male barman in the victory pub, when told it was the worst meal my friend had ever had, he said, while turning his back to us,"ok i will let the chef know" very rude, will not use pub again but this will not put me coming to hotel as i always have a great time, unfortunately i wanted to give 5 out of 5 but the rudeness of this man left me with know choice!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel with excellent facilities in a very good location.
However, on my next stay I will opt for room only and find somewhere else for breakfast.
Service was pretty poor - "find a table and help yourself." Help my self to what? From where?
Choice of a few cereals and just 2 juices followed by the now sadly standard frozen hotel sausages, rubbery and unseasoned scrambled eggs and baked beans with a skin on from being under heat lamps.
Didn't see a single smile on any of the staff and once we'd got our tea and toast weren't approached again - which meant I had to find my own clean cutlery from a neighbouring table.

I find it very telling in a hotel when the receptionists don't ask if their guests have enjoyed their stay - they don't want to know in case you haven't.

I'd definitely stay again, but more for the facilities than for the service.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Keith M
Cambridgeshire, UK
Reviewed 2 August 2012

For a change we booked a De Vere instead of a Marriott, for a weekend away with the kids, using up some clubcard vouchers.

We made the reservation through Hospitality Line in April for 4 adults and 2 children. Despite checking the reservation on three separate occasions, we arrived at the hotel to find that only 1 adult was booked into each of the two rooms. They hadn’t received the correct information from Hospitality Line, and wanted another £40 for the children. I immediately phoned Hospitality Line who then agreed to meet the additional costs. Not a good start.

The rooms were Ok, nothing special. The toilet didn’t flush and the bathroom door didn’t close in one of the rooms, and the air conditioning unit didn’t work in the other. A new room was allocated with working air conditioning. All these points must have been very obvious to the room service staff. Air conditioning with all its buttons missing is never going to work!!

On the plus side the afternoon was spent in the lovely swimming pool and Jacuzzi, followed by a meal at a nearby harvester, which was both cheap and served good food. Other options included an Indian, a Chinese and a Pizza Hut. The reason I had chosen the hotel was the surrounding facilities, which included a cinema, ice rink, Megabowl and Laser Wars.

The full English breakfast was very good, both tasty and hot. The cereal, fruit and yoghurts choice was very limited for a hotel of this size.

The real disappointment was the meal in the hotel Buca Italian restaurant. Despite many of the poor reports on Tripadvisor, we decided to give the restaurant a try ourselves. I only wish I had listened to the reviews. Firstly the menu was completely different to that in the rooms, with a much, much smaller choice of meals. The Manager explained that the restaurant had changed menus three days before but he was struggling to get the hotel to remove the old menus from the rooms.

The starters arrived and were Ok, nothing special. The prawn cocktail had no sauce on it whatsoever. Before the starters were finished, the main courses arrived. The waitress explained they had a new system, but said it wasn’t working properly. The plates were quickly cleared and the main course served. To say the food was poor would be an understatement. The same bland sauce was used for the Penne Bolognese, Spicy Meatballs and the Baked Rigatoni. All inedible. One of our diners crunched loudly on something in the Penne Bolognese – Nice!! The waitress could not apologise enough, and the Manager welcomed the feedback and would speak to the chef. By this time, we were finding the whole experience quite amusing. The bill was charged at full price, expensive even if it had been fit for consumption. The Manager apologised again and said he hadn’t realised the bill had been sent to the table and he would discount by 20%. More likely, they were just hoping we would pay full price.

The next morning, a long queue formed outside the breakfast restaurant. The guy in charge was doing his best to allocate tables, but there just wasn’t enough staff to clear the empty tables. Eventually seated, we had to ask for toast, jams etc and the plates for the hot breakfast were little more than tea plate size.

I like to be fair on my Tripadvisor reports, and am never picky about small issues, but when there are so many things that could be improved its only right to inform future guests of our experience. In summary a great hotel for the surrounding facilities in keeping the children occupied, but the actual hotel needs to up its game!! I would say there was a little bit of a “couldn’t care less attitude”, and sadly I wouldn’t recommend this to family or friends. Back to a Marriott for us!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank clare1969
Estepona
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Although I haven’t stayed at this hotel, I wanted to write a review for the De Vere Swindon as a venue.

My in laws hired a function room to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary last weekend with 50 friends and family. We arrived early than arranged but were able to go right in and decorate it with our gold accessories and photos. The staff had offered to do this as part of the service but my MIL preferred to take charge of the decor herself. We were allowed to do pretty much whatever we wanted as long as we only used white tac on the walls and no pins or tape.

The De Vere’s Wendy met us in the room and showed us that the tables had already been beautifully laid out in the formation agreed prior to the event. Her and the other members of staff showed us how to use the audio visual and music equipment and offered us the use of another meeting room in which we could get changed. They even brought an armchair up to the function room so that we could pop it in the corner for one of the guests who has been unwell, in case she should need a break from the noise.

As the guests arrived, a young man from De Vere served welcome drinks and was very polite when he had to explain that it was just one welcome drink per person and then wine would be served at the table. The food came promptly, was delicious and well presented.

We had a few speeches and so on before the cake was cut but the staff were all so on the ball that they knew exactly what was happening and when. They cleaned up plates and glasses very subtly without making us feel that we were being rushed. In fact, as we were gathering up our decorations and saying our goodbyes, we were told not to hurry and that even though we had only booked through to 6pm, we could take our time and we didn’t ned to rush out.

Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff I spoke to and I was thrilled (as an expat who doesn’t get out much) to find a Starbucks in the lobby. Heaven!

I can thoroughly recommend the De Vere Swindon as a function venue and would like to thank their staff for a job well done.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family