“good value package deal”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We booked to see the Queen tribute band (called Majesty), and as the tickets including dinner and disco were £28 each we decided to make a night of it and book the package deal to include bed and breakfast, £99. Booking in person was a hassle, we had to wait half an hour for someone experienced to take the booking. As my partner has mobility problems we asked for a room with disabled facilities, eg walk in shower. We were told the hotel has only two such rooms and they were booked out. She then added that the disabled friendly rooms don't have a walk in shower, just a vibrating pillow and wider doorframes. We asked for a room close to the lift , and that we got. A girl on reception carried my partner's bag and took us up to our room. It was very dark and took a while to work out how to make all the lights work. Even so you have to do your make up in the bathroom. The TV worked, there were no biscuits with the tea making facilities. As usual there is no socket near the mirror for the hairdryer, but luckily this had a long lead. The bed was comfortable but the room over warm and we couldn't turn down the heating, so we opened the window. The tribute night was fabulous, the group were super, the three course meal was excellent and there was a special deal on a bottle of very acceptable wine for £12.50. We slept well, the restaurant for breakfast (8-10 on a Saturday) was busy, the hot full English was nearly hot. Fruit, juices, pastries etc all very nice. all in all a very good deal, it could do with more disabled parking and more thought to grab rails in the bathroom. Even I who am not disabled had nothing to hold on to getting out of the bath/shower found it slightly scary. The toilet could do with a good clean/bleaching. There is an excellent gym here, though we didn't use it on this occasion.

Room Tip: Second floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susie1001
Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed at the De Vere Village in Swindon for a couple of days with work and after navigating the endless roundabouts following a few Sat Nav hickups, the hotel was a pleasent surprise when it came into view. It is surrounded by lots of shops (Asda) and restaurants (Pizza, Indian, etc) as well as being situated next to a cinema and bowling alley.

The staff were very helpful, and having arrived at 11pm on a Sunday presented me with a very limited room service menu. They did explain that there were other places to eat, which was nice and explained about the other options within walking distance.

I had a room on the second floor (Room 245), which was one heck of a walk from the lift! The hotel floors are like the endless round aboutsth my room being on the oposite side to the lift. The bedroom decor was lovely although the same could not be said for the bathroom.

All in all a nice hotel with a comfy bed and welcoming staff, but dodgy bathroom in the room let it down slightly. I would however stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont choose 245. Some colleagues who also stayed at the hotel enjoyed better rooms with balconies...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Seventh0
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel this weekend. Nice modern hotel with an excellent Italian restaurant. Such a nice change from the usual stuffy hotel restaurant.
Great selection available on the menu and nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff.
I had the calamari, chicken milanaise and quite possibly the best cheesecake I have ever eaten - and I have eaten a lot of cheesecake :)
My husband had the melon and crab linguine and loved them both.
Would definitely stay again and if I was local then would be there on a very regular basis

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank MrsG67467
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This is our second time at this hotel . It was much better than the first time.
The room was massive and warm. The Sky TV worked and the movies to. The spa facitlites were ok and have had better at different village hotels. The bathroom was a llittle mouldy in the corners, but nothing to concerning. The breakfast was good. The reception staff were excellent especially Sally - she was extremely helpful and we remember her from the last stay. i would recommend this hotel as you have everything you need in one place.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be bigger and ask for a room overlooking the court yard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed on business and picked this hotel due to being refurbished and having a gym. Checking is was good with pleasant reception staff who were very helpful. The room itself was quite big with a sofa and a double bed, the lighting in the room was very dark and if it gets warm outside this hotel has no airconditioning in the rooms and it gets really stuffy.

The resturant is ok but wouldn't eat here if I had a choice, they also had a bar/pub victory whcih has your usual burgers, curries etc, nothing healthy or different. They only room service food they do are sandwhiches and three hot meals, cottage pie, macaroni and cheese and one other!!
Has a starbucks in the lobby which is nice to get a coffee and has free wifi also an added bonus.
Breakfast was in the italian resturant which was nice but finishesd early at 09.30, when you have worked late could of done with breakfast staying on a little longer till about 10.00am, not able to have breakfast delivered to your room either.
Ok for a short stay and probably better than some other hotels in Swindon that I have stayed at, would try somewhere else next time I'm back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2012

What you would expect from from a multi national chain. Rooms were comfortable,clean and tidy. However I unfortunatly left a lightweight jacket in the wardrobe after vacating the room. I phoned first thing the following morning to report the loss, was told they would contact housekeeping and get back to me. Several days later received an email asking me to rate the hotel and my expierence in staying there. Completed the questionair and remarked on loss of my jacket, leaving a contact phone number. Two weeks on still waiting for a reply to either requests.
Finally do not eat in the Italian resturaunt in the evening. How Chefs can ruin good food is beyond me.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2012

room itself was comfy, but difficult to see how clean it was as lighting very subdued. However, when you go into the light of the bathroom, it's plain to see it's quite dirty. See my pictures to see the cobwebs and dust, along with a badly cracked sink in room 130. In addition the toilet was black at the bottom and could do with a good bleaching.One of the mugs had a crack and was stained also.
We'd booked a DBB deal and with diet allergy issues I e mailed ahead and mentioned this, asking if we could have something simple - I had no reply. I'd also mentioned during the booking process, that as I have mobility issues that I'd prefer a room with easy access - this was not considered either ! We ended up in a room which was a considerable distance from the lifts - one of which was out of order.
On arrival, we mentioned the dinner e mail to the reception, the young man said this would not be a problem and he would ring the Italian restaurant and let them know. When we later passed reception, I asked if everything was ok and he said that if we just speak to our server, everything would be sorted for us. When we did go down for dinner, the waiter "G" told us that he knew nothing about out situation, but he's ask chef what he could do in light of my husband's allergy to yeast - in particular bread . We asked for macaroni, and initially this was a problem as the kitchen did not have cream, buy this was rectified as they'd sent out for some. My husband asked for lemonade and received coke, which we accepted as it was a minor error. HOWEVER, when the macaroni arrived, I hesitated and asked a female server, what it was garnished with. Lucky I did, as it turned out to be breadcrumbs !!!!! We had the meal replaced and in fairness, it was very nice. The female server really laid into "G" and told him he had to check every order with allergy requests as we'd said that my husband could have ended up in hospital over his error.
Breakfast was basic, if you are vegetarian like us, the choice on the buffet was not great and there were no hot carbohydrates such as hash browns or fried potatoes that are usually on offer in a Village hotel.
Staff were cold and "soulless": Housekeeping staff were mostly immigrants who congregated together, pushed past you with trolleys and even avoided eye contact in order to not have to say "good morning" etc. I've never felt so unwelcome in a hotel, it really does need Management to give hospitality training. It was not just the housekeeping staff, the entire staff were not guest friendly - even maintenance - nobody could be bothered to greet staff with a friendly "hello".
To top things off, we had a bill pushed under our door for a lunch we'd not had for which we received an apology at reception when I queried it.

Room Tip: don't bother asking for accessible room - your requests will be ignored !
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple