“Nice, but not brilliant”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
London
“Nice, but not brilliant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Swindon doesn't really do anything exceptionally. Possibly with the exception of being the most average place you've ever been to in your life. In fact it actually excels at being mediocre - including the hotels.

The De Vere Swindon is nice enough - the decor is quite contemporary for a chain hotel, except for the restaurant which looks like it came from a book called "1000 Italian Cliches". Seriously, the old Cornetto adverts offered a less stereotypical image of Italy.

A friend and I were staying in a twin room and actually it was quite nice. It was spacious, well kept, and very clean. The bathroom was, like most hotel bathrooms, compact. Again though, it was quite nice. I found the huge mirror directly behind the toilet a little odd but otherwise there was a decent bath, plenty of towel hanging space and for me the shower offered power as well as properly hot water.

For some reason Swindon hotels are almost never air conditioned. By today's standards the De Vere offers a very quaint alternative - windows that actually open! However, this being Swindon the view is neither attractive nor quiet. Our window overlooked a main road, and little else.

The hotel's location is an odd one - not in the town centre, but in a "leisure park" that has seen better days. The architecture screams late 80s/early 90s "trying to look more rural than it actually is".

The hotel bar is modeled on a pub and is called The Victory - it sells a fairly average selection of beers, wines, and spirits as well as your usual pub grub. Prices seemed reasonable to me, but then again I've lived in London for over a decade so most places seem cheap by comparison.

The restaurant, where you'll likely have breakfast, is as I say, very unsubtle in its Italian theme. The breakfast itself is pretty standard - a buffet with an offer of hot and cold foods. Again, all quite nice, if not all that exciting.

The hotel features a gym/leisure club which I didn't use, and has its own branch of Starbucks. The Starbucks could be any in the world because of course it looked the same as all the others and served the same mediocre coffee.

All in all the Swindon De Vere is nice enough. You could certainly choose to stay in a worse place. The staff are generally very pleasant, and the facilities are fine. Swindon not being a holiday destination as such doesn't really have any particularly exceptional hotels.

I'd probably stay here again if I had reason to be in Swindon for more than a day.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

The decor might not be everyone's cup of tea but I found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable. The staff on the reception desk were friendly and helpful.

The eating options within the hotel were adequate but not really inspiring. There are two indian restaurants within walking distance of the hotel otherwise you will have to drive.

Overall a good value hotel but it is situated a few miles outside Swindon in a small development.

I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickMaggieWales
Tadley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We liked the reception area, and welcome by staff. The manager, in particular, was always on show and available to help. However, the decor is gloomy, and the hotel therefore seems permanently dark.

The rooms were large, and the beds even more so, and spectacularly comfortable. We were not conscious of noise, despite being near roads and a shopping complex. We were there as a part of a deal for evening entertainment, which was very good. The next morning we were not too far from the shopping outlets. Friends used the leisure facilities, which they said were very good.

I felt, though, that the hotel could do better. More attention to detail, perhaps? For example, dark paint chips easily, and shows the light wood underneath - a dab or two of paint would correct that. The mirrors in the lift were covered with sticky fingerprints, and the same around light switches and door panels in the toilets. It made me want to wash my hands again after leaving the ladies. More attention to simple housekeeping rules might make the place seem more user friendly.

Having said that, I can't fault the staff, who were excellent. And the breakfast was good!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

On arriving I was greeted in a rather bizarre manner whereby separate colleagues attempted to check me in at once asking me the same questions, however it was processed eventually. The room from a quick glance was not impressive, it was a standard family room and somewhat small with it however the décor made it seem incredibly oppressive, if not gothic in style and the large portion of the room being black led to my wife suffering from a horrendous headache until we left.
We then went to use the leisure facilities, for which I was reasonably impressed by, however following instructions in our room we exchanged our room key for locker key cards and towels, but when we returned the key cards and towels to get the room key back, which seemed logical, we were rather rudely told, “I don’t have the towels, they should have been left in the changing rooms, you will have to take them back to your room now.” This was a big inconvenience as of course they were wet.
Dinner in the Italian restaurant was okay, considering on a DBB package but would have been over priced otherwise.
Our main problem commenced shortly after returning to our room, after putting my 3 year old to bed and then attempting to get some sleep myself it appeared we were situated directly above the toilets by reception, as we could constantly hear doors opening and closing then toilets flushing and the incredibly disturbing sound of the hand dryers, these were incredibly loud and made it very hard to get a good night’s sleep. Fortunately my little boy sleeps very well and they did not wake him, but this did mean I was not in a position to demand a room change that my wife and I would have done if it had not involved waking my son, as we could not get to sleep until people had finishing using these toilets, well into the night. My little boy often wakes up around 06:00 so we like to get to sleep quite early so this period of time represented a significant part of the night, especially when we are away at a hotel we expect a good night’s sleep.
In addition to the noise, we were made more uncomfortable by the gap in the middle of the king sized bed and the warmth in the room. The standard rooms come without AC, and the child’s bed is right by the window so could not open that. In addition we could already hear noise from outside so even if I could have got to the window, opening that would have further enhanced the total inconvenience of noise.

At check out I was asked to pay for my drinks from dinner, then as a passing comment, after paying I hope everything was okay. Well I then said no and explained the main issues that affected our sleep. What followed was a request to fill in a customer feedback form and post back to you or this email address. Well I am appalled; if the management really cared they would have spoken to me there and then. Now have I, the customer gone away happy?? No, just more frustrated that after just half a night sleep I have to take my own time to fill a form in, how ridiculous.

Room Tip: Would not go standard again - Upper Deck would be a must but only at half the price I paid for a sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
West Mids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

nice hotel shame about the noise. good posioin, easy acess from the motoways, excellent breakfast but the restaurant was packed. Staff very pleasent and it had disabled parking right in front of the entrance which was a bonus.

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the main function room, it was a hightmare from the noise of a party going...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank westmidstripper
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I often have to visit Swindon on business and i always book the DeVere village, the staff are always so attentive and welcoming (especially the staff at breakfast time, they can never do too much for you)

The rooms are big and spacious and beds are really comfy. The hotel is in a good location with some amenities near by.

If i was to be really critical id say after the refurbishment the rooms are quite dark (as they are painted dark grey!) and there are only free standing lamps so there is a issue with lighting. However this didn't bother me as i didn't spend all day in my room.

Thank you De Vere Village for an excellent stay

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Kings Langley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We booked a 'getaway' break that included dinner and bed & breakfast and were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was well located and situated on a leisure park with a cinema and ten pin bowling alley, two Indian restaurants and a Pizza hut. In the hotel itself there was a Starbucks, and a choice of two restaurants and the dinner inclusive menu for both provided a wide choice. The food and service in the Italian restaurant was very good over the two evenings of our stay. The breakfast was very good. The bedroom was spacious but could have done with better lighting and there was no minibar. We used the leisure facilities including the steam room, sauna and pool. On a Sunday morning the pool was quite busy with children's swimming lessons, but by mid-day we were the only ones in there. Overall, excellent value money and I will certainly choose to stop at this hotel chain again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple