“Spa stay!!”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel 1 night spa stay the hotel was lovely very modern very welcoming, we had full use of spa and gym facilities, we had a facial in the health club was amazing very relaxed and lovely staff.
We had a 3 course meal in the evening with choice of both restaurants food was great very good choice and again staff were so friendly.
The stay was nice tho a group of stags seem to make so much noise in the evening below us but staff soon controlled the situation and apologies to us the following morning that wouldn't stop me stayin here again very recommended for a spa weekend :-))
Finely I forgot breakfast was great had everything such a great choice.

• Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed 18 May 2013

This was a business trip and I didn't expect much for the £87/night hotel I booked. I have to say I was very impressed with the room. It was Radisson hotel standard, maybe even better. The staff were very friendly and with a Starbucks on site you can't lose. When in Swindon I won't think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed on a Thursday night, and although busy with businessmen the hotel is big with lots of lounge space so it didn't feel cramped. We booked the Upper Deck room which was well worth the price we paid. The room is large with lots of space, including a walk in wardrobe, but like others have said its very dark with lots of soft lighting. The bed was big and comfy and the Bose sound system was amazing, as was the Starbucks refreshments. We booked a table in the Italian restaurant Buca di beppo and the food was lovely. The drinks were pricey but as you expect in a hotel. Breakfast next day was a buffet with lots of choice from cereal and pastry to full English. We didn't get time to use the pool but this was a good size and looked clean. My partner used the gym and he said the equipment was modern and to a good standard. On the complex there is a cinema, bowling alley and lots of places to eat. Across the road is a leisure centre, large Asda and a few shops including Harvester. About 15 mins drive away is the Swindon designer outlet which is worth a visit. This is our 2nd stay here and we would visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed for one night on a DBB rate which we thought would be good value for money. Our room was comfortable the bathroom could do with a proper clean, there were no shampoo/shower gel bottles apart from the all in one that is fixed to the wall.
There is no air con in the bedroom, and at 6:30 am our radiator started to clunk, which was very annoying as we were fast asleep.
We ate in the italian restaurant, where the menu was limited but ok, no side orders are included in the DBB deal, drinks were expensive and the victory bar next door had different brands of beer, so if you wanted something from there but were eating at the italian you had to walk through and get it yourself as the staff couldn't go to the other bar, also our cutlery was dirty, both for our evening meal and breakfast!
The pool was nice but there were a lot of children there, which makes swimming difficult.

This was our second visit and we won't be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank victoria h
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We booked this hotel as a bargain break directly with the hotel. We had standard king room for two nights including dinner one night and breakfast for two mornings. All for £144! I agree with some other reviews that Swindon is an uninspiring town but we knew that. We were staying here to walk in the Cotswolds which are very close. I also agree that the rooms are very dark and I would prefer lighter decor. As this is very little lighting in the room except lamps it would be very oppressive to be in for very long. The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. Only criticism is the quality of the pillows which could be improved. The room does not have air conditioning and did get very warm at night. The bathroom a good size with good lighting. The public areas of the hotel are very pleasant with a large lounge area with plenty of comfortable seating. There are two restaurants. Italian and a pub. We ate in the Italian which on our deal was a limited set menu. In our opinion too small a selection compared to the restaurant menu. If you choose from the main menu you get an allowance of £14.50 per head. Not enough! The staff we found very helpful. Breakfast is a self service buffet with small continental selection. Very busy but the staff helpful and friendly. There is a gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room for guests use. Within walking distance on the same complex there are Indian restaurants, Pizza Hut a cinema and bowling alley.

All in all our weekend was very good value for money

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

What should have been a nice hotel was, in my view, totally spoiled by how dark it was. The entire hotel was clearly decorated by someone who thought that dark grey and mulberry were uplifting tones. Mixed with dark wood and windows covered with dark wooden blinds, I can assure you they were wrong! We had a very large room, but even my 8 year old couldn't see in the 'dressing room' part to find his clothes! Staff in the Italian restaurant were very rude. At dinner we were told they are always fully booked on Fridays and Saturdays (shame no-one thought to tell us) which disappointed my kids. Breakfast was almost unbearable - very rude staff and again incredibly dark (I couldn't tell the difference between the orange juice and grapefruit juice).

However on the plus side, the beds were extremely comfortable. We all slept very well. The pool was also great for the kids - no deeper than 120cm - and quite warm.

Personally, I wouldn't stay here again. And, I have to say, we used up a hotel.com offer so we didn't even pay! I've often thought of staying at the DeVere Villages as there are so many of them. I would save my money ...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Locutus2003
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed at the Swindon Village for one night.
Situated on a leisure park it is handy for Asda, Bowling, cinema, restaurants etc!
Despite the location, the room was very quiet. Check in was easy, and we found our room to be clean and tidy, if a little dark! the room had the usual things that you would expect eg. iron. no safe that I remember seeing though.
The darkness when sleeping is an added bonus for me. The TV was too low for the bed, would have been better situated on the wall rather than on a desk.
Pillows were very flat, with no spares which made my nights sleep a little worse.
Breakfast was self service cereals, yoghurts, juices or full English.

I will review the restaurant separately, but in case you don't see it - my advice would be to eat outside of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple