“Great hotel let down by poor food”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I really want to love this hotel as it has great facilities, modern clean decor and fantastic staff (Sam in the Victory Pub was particularly helpful and very professional). However I was disappointed by the quality of the food served in both the pub and Italian restaurant. I stayed here for four nights and tried various meals which were all under-seasoned and bland, and often over-cooked and cold too. The worst was the Fillet of Beef from the restaurant which was pricey, small, massively over-done (I asked for medium rare and got well done) and tasteless. I've stayed in numerous other Village hotels and the food has always been excellent, so it's such a shame that it's so poor here. If the quality and selection of meals were improved this would be my number one choice when I'm in Swindon.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Valentine's Day, we were greeted at the door with champagne and strawberries which was a lovely touch.

All the staff were very friendly and professional.

We chose this hotel mainly for the leisure facilities which we really enjoyed and made the most of, the jacuzzi, steam room, swimming pool and sauna were all very clean, my only gripe is that they had childrens swimming lessons on the Saturday monring so half the pool gets taken up by that and its not very big to begin with! The gym looked well equipped and modern but we didnt use it.

We stayed in an Upperdeck room which we chose as the price was good and for the Sky movies however the weather was horrendous so there was no satellite signal for all of our stay! Which is not the fault of the hotel at all, it was just a shame.

We enjoyed our stay and would return.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just spent a night at this hotel with my wife, room was very good and clean, price was reasonable considering the sizable breakfast was included in the price. Plenty to do for the more active. There were two minor moans, firstly there was only hand soap on the bathroom sink and for facial washes you had to get it from over the bath. secondly the Victory Pub is missing something in the food department...........no steak! but endless varieties of wraps, its a pity really, we went to Weatherspoons which is a 5min walk away. we did return for a few beers and a couple of glasses of wine though.
Overall though I would return and we will probably book the one in Bournemouth for our next trip away.

1  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have recently stayed here. We upgraded to an upper deck room - you got better bedding, starbucks drinks in the room and Skymovies access.

The hotel was very busy when we stayed. It had a pub, Italian Restaurant and a Starbucks. The food in the pub and restaurant were good. I found the food in Starbucks quite expensive. I used the spa nice - it was small but very good. The hotel is on a "retail park" - that had an Indian restaurant, bowling and a cinema.

The hotel had a lot to do nearby - probably best for families rather than a quiet relaxed hotel stay.

Room Tip: Quite a busy hotel - good for families not so much for a quiet chilled out hotel stay!
1  Thank Zoom6
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked a family plus room for us and our two boys. The size of the room and the bed arrangements (a queen size and two singles) was outstanding - one of the best family rooms we have come across. However the design of the hotel means that everywhere is so dark. Very little natural light and the corridors and rooms are decorated in grey and black. We had black wallpaper in our room. There was a walk in wardrobe which was fully decorated in black wallpaper without lights and so you literally could not see your clothes!!

There are two restaurants in the hotel, an Italian and a pub. We ate in both and the food was average. Okay for the kids. The Italian then doubled as the breakfast room. Breakfast was good.

Overall, hotel okay and a great nights sleep. Just could be better with a change in colours.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

De vere village is out of the way but has got all you need for the perfect get away spot. There is a cineworld just close by as well as a nice Indian restaurant.

The room was spacious and decor was nice. A little let down with the dented kettle and leaking shower. The plus was free wifi :)

There was a spa within the hotel too and free gym pass.

I was welcomed with an amazingly tasty pizza at the door and a friendly smile.

Comfortable bed and brilliant night sleep. Breakfast was good. Staff are courteous and lovely (their cheery attitude made the rainy morning bearable).

Will visit again.

Room Tip: Just cos of the leaking shower avoid 245.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for a Valentine's Break with a package booked through Expedia. Went for this sort of hotel because it represented a change from the norm for us. Often i find with grander places you suffer a price hike for facilities you rarely use or appreciate. Room was certainly affordable and the majority of the facilities are very well endeavored. Staff too were very welcoming, professional and pleasant. However there are a number of things which let it down for us. I think the first thing to say is that I actually tried to contact the hotel through the online contact form and this email was never (even to this day) responded to - I actually had to google the number of the hotel and call them direct as it seemed that whilst the booking for the stay was o.k the booking for the massage had to be done seperately, the delay caused meant that I was unable to get a massage booked until 2 hours after we should have been on our way home. The room was quite spacious and clean however the finish was poor (one of the units was cracked and peeling). Another area of criticism is in the spa - this is a child friendly hotel and one which my daughter would enjoy however we only had an hour in the spa to ourselves before it was closed. The final area of criticism was the breakfast. Whilst the evening meal was fantastic (there is a choice of pub and Italian style meals both in their own restaurant) The breakfast is held in the Italian restaurant with the overflow guests ushered into the pub area. This meant that the queues for the breakfast food were just dire. Ensuring a really long wait and then when you get there you realise that actually you fancied toast as well and so you have to go back. Why not have two breakfast areas? The cooked breakfast I had was very grease laden too. Not good. Despite these complaints I wont say I was so disappointed that I wont ever go back - as I said my daughter would enjoy it and there is a local cinema as well a laser quest within a few minutes walk. However I wouldn't go here for more than a nights stay and I think that should speak volumes for anyone reading this or considering a break based upon the facilities alone.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can
1  Thank activ8