“Very good value”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Just a couple of nights break, with another couple, a bit of golf and a bit of retail therapy. Given adjoining rooms, so not too far to go for the late night coffee, and dram! Good size rooms, well appointed, and good sized bath towels. Beds were large and comfy, everything you'd expect from this brand. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the food in the "pub" was good. The "Indian" on the other side of the complex was also pretty good. Can't fault the spa either, but swerved the gym, which looked to have plenty of equipment! Excellent value.

Room Tip: I'd guess they're all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I found it difficult to find fault with anything here...maybe the meals in the pub as not "haut cuisine" but actually for the price and for fast service it was just what we needed. By comparison the meals in the italian restaurant on site were very nicely cooked and not too pricey. In fact if you are a Gourmet society card holder and its mid week you can get big discounts.we did find the service a bit slow in here but actually werent in any hurry so didnt matter to us...but maybe dont go if you are on a time premium. I got a very good late deal for 2 nights at the hotel on booking.com and as cheap was the theme of the week end we decided to stay in the standard rooms and not upgrade for an extra £20 per night - doing without the bose player, sky movies, extra comfy bed and pillows and starbuks coffee in the room - although some of you might think thats worth it? The breakfast was really good although I did miss my cold meat and cheeses. It can get busy and is a little cramped aroubnd the do it yourself "toast" area but at least you get warm toast!
Staff in the italian restaurant were really friendly and quite funny.
The place bills itself as "all under one roof" and actually it works...there is no need to leave the hotel with plenty of large flat screens dotted around the public areas to catch up on news or sport in the pub bar and a lovely leisure pool, steam room sauna and jacuzzi and starbucks coffee shop inside the hotel. We chose to go to the cinema which is a very short walk across the car park (along with ten pin bowling and two indian restaurants) and attended an ice hockey game which just happenned to be on across the main road. Also across the road (walkable) is a shopping centre with an asda, macds,and several other shops. Find the Asda and youve found it.We also took the 15 minute walk from the back of the hotel along the path (turn left keeping the hotel behind you and then fork next left and then straight on and then follow signs) to Lydiard park with lake, playground and historic house.
For a cheap "charge the batteries weekend" it was ideal. Next time Im trying the second floor with my bose sound system !!

Room Tip: £20 extra will get you upgraded to the second floor with all sorts of extras. If not ask for one ove...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed one night on a spa package with three friends. Comfortable rooms which can be linked together by an internal door. Staff all very pleasant and helpful, we were able to get a bucket of ice from the bar for chilling a bottle and the food in the Italian restaurant was lovely. Also, great choice at breakfast. Swimming pool good too and lovely spa treatments up on the second floor. Have stayed twice now and would go again for the value and facilities available.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a group, ask for the option of interconnected rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend and my mum had a room next door. The rooms were very big the beds very comfy and the room was well furnished. I asked the staff if they could open the adjoining door to the rooms and they were up within five minutes to do it. The staff were very friendly and the spa/pool area was very nice. The breakfast was not the best which is the only reason I did not give five stars. Otherwise I can not fault this hotel would recommend it and will certainly be looking to stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I really want to love this hotel as it has great facilities, modern clean decor and fantastic staff (Sam in the Victory Pub was particularly helpful and very professional). However I was disappointed by the quality of the food served in both the pub and Italian restaurant. I stayed here for four nights and tried various meals which were all under-seasoned and bland, and often over-cooked and cold too. The worst was the Fillet of Beef from the restaurant which was pricey, small, massively over-done (I asked for medium rare and got well done) and tasteless. I've stayed in numerous other Village hotels and the food has always been excellent, so it's such a shame that it's so poor here. If the quality and selection of meals were improved this would be my number one choice when I'm in Swindon.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Valentine's Day, we were greeted at the door with champagne and strawberries which was a lovely touch.

All the staff were very friendly and professional.

We chose this hotel mainly for the leisure facilities which we really enjoyed and made the most of, the jacuzzi, steam room, swimming pool and sauna were all very clean, my only gripe is that they had childrens swimming lessons on the Saturday monring so half the pool gets taken up by that and its not very big to begin with! The gym looked well equipped and modern but we didnt use it.

We stayed in an Upperdeck room which we chose as the price was good and for the Sky movies however the weather was horrendous so there was no satellite signal for all of our stay! Which is not the fault of the hotel at all, it was just a shame.

We enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just spent a night at this hotel with my wife, room was very good and clean, price was reasonable considering the sizable breakfast was included in the price. Plenty to do for the more active. There were two minor moans, firstly there was only hand soap on the bathroom sink and for facial washes you had to get it from over the bath. secondly the Victory Pub is missing something in the food department...........no steak! but endless varieties of wraps, its a pity really, we went to Weatherspoons which is a 5min walk away. we did return for a few beers and a couple of glasses of wine though.
Overall though I would return and we will probably book the one in Bournemouth for our next trip away.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple