“Mothers Day treat”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Mothers Day treat”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Booked a one night Spa package with my friend. This is my second stay here in the past 18 months & definitely not so good this time. On arrival the Receptionist wouldn't look after our cases as our room wasn't ready. They failed to mention we could use the facilities in the Hotel example the Gym,Sauna,Pool etc before our room was ready. Luckily I knew this from my last visit!! I booked a twin room but they said a Double was booked, showed them my email so all was sorted. Emailed Spa treatment bookings before hand as requested, but hotel never received it. Girls were lovely who did the treatments though. Room was clean but very dark paper & walls,brighter lights would be better & a lick of paint may be. Only could use the pub for evening meal as a wedding was going on. Very limited food & full of blokes watching football, no women or families at all. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice, could have been hotter though! Probably would stay some where else next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank williams67_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Devon, England
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have often stayed with the De Vere chain (mostly Swansea) as was not disappointed this time around. Staff were helpful and pleasant. Lovely breakfast. Housekeeping good. The only fault was the room was so dark, could really do with some brighter light bulbs. We made good use of the facilities (Gym and Pool) which we found clean and just as advertised. We would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here between Christmas and New Year 2013 for two nights. It was for a family gathering, so we had one large family room for me, my wife and two children, and a double for my parents. The rooms were spacious and well equipped, and the facilities on site were great too - my wife had a spa treatment and several of us used the pool. Breakfast was particularly good - really good quality pastries and a very wide selection of fruit and loads more besides. We also used the bar, and ate in the Italian themed restaurant - both experiences were okay, though the restaurant is not especially refined. The location was great for for our purposes - we also used the cinema and some of the other dining facilities nearby, and we had a lovely walk at Lidyard House, a council owned stately home in a big park just a short drive away. So all in all, and somewhat despite my expectations, this was a great place for a family reunion and weekend away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Great stay. Weekend break 2 night stay 1 night dinner with breakfast both days.

Yhis was a gift from Xmas through buyagift best hotel on the list of choices.

Location

Good links to town centre by bus from the Asda directly over the road from the hotel. Next to the hotel you have bowling, laser tag, cinema and 2 Indians and a pizza hut.
Opposite the hotel, a large Asda, McDonald's, Domino's, bookies, a pub and a leisure centre with ice skating and a swimming pool.

Within the hotel, Starbucks, Italian restaurant and a pub along with a spa and swimming pool.

So not a bad bunch of stuff to do in the area

The Italian very very good. Breakfast great selection. Didn't eat at pub

Drink.

Pub very pricey.
Regular house rose wine and a pint, £11.

Room

Room was good looking, bit different to other hotels, black wall needed a link of paint or new wallpaper.

The bed was rock solid! Now I like a firm bed but this was too hard it was like sleeping on a wooden plank!

You get 2 pillows. They are awful! No stuff in the pillows I don't think! Felt like I was sleeping on 2 pillow cases!

Overall

A good stay, if we wanted to come to the area again I would probably choose the hotel again. I may choose to upgrade next time to the upper deck at £20 a night to see if the bed was any better as they do have different beds up there.

Was dissapointed that we had booked to coincide with my wife's birthday the booking line had asked if it was for an occasion and then no mention of her birthday when we arrived not even a happy birthday from reception let alone a small freebie of some sort.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Came to this hotel for a 2 night spa break, for the money we paid (not alot) we were fully prepared to be let down and not be in a particularly lavish hotel. Well no need to worry anyways.....it was AMAZING. staff were so accomodating, the spa company had booked us for a 3 course meal for the first evening we arrived (sunday) however they failed to mention the resteuraunt was closed. Despite the deal requiring the 3 course meal to be used on the first night the hotel was more than accomodating to let us have it on the next night. And it was lovely. The Buca di Beppo dining was lovely, food was faultless and really generous with portions. Same goes for the onsite bar and pub.....food was nothing special just good old pub food (I reccomend the spitroast chicken). The bedroom we had was 'upper deck' so we paid a little extra for this but it was totally worth it. The bed was so huge you could feel like you were without company if you rolled either end. TV was sky package....as we were on a relaxation break we made us of watching lots of TV in bed and no shortage of choices for channels. We also had 2 treatments each in the SPA, they were faultless, the girls were friendly and welcoming and reassuring as it was out first experience in a spa. The pool/sauna/jacuzzi was never busting so we always were able to go in and have lots of space and no loud children around. Oh and lastly breakfast.....cant say anything other than AMAZING. loads of variety..... and I dont even eat breakfast usually but for this I started!!

Just faultless. Wouldnt perhaps comment on Swindon itself (seems a little backwards..) but for a break just within the hotel....Perfect. didnt want to leave.

Room Tip: Id upgrade to upper deck, cost is minimal but totally worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Well what a really pleasant surpise and this comes from a poorly ageing synic!
Just had a saturday night stay (mainly because husband's band had a gig locally and didn't fancy him driving home in the small hours in the fog, so we went with for the pool and a change of scene, it' s been a really long winter after all). The really thoroughly pleasant stay started with Nancy a really sweet Scicilian receptionist who genuinely seemed to care,even helping my 12 year old to connect his iPad to the free wifi (not avail free just in public areas either,also in room - bonus!). The capacious Deluxe family room had a massive TV, ample soft seating a huge double bed, a sofa bed and 2 singles pushed together which my son soon claimed as his! There are some negative comments about the general state of the decor on the late room site where we made our booking, but we thought it was fine and not "too tired" at all as they suggest! The pool was great, temp just right and relaxing.The slightly over zealous leisure staff warned my son away from the Jacuzzi (which actually worked for me as i got 10mins of "me"time), even if i then exited feelling a little over broiled -was exceedingly hot. My hubbie enjoyed the peace of the steam room and went off to his gig feeling like a rock star.....(his words not mine)..... Oh dear , the rest of the band soon brought him back down to earth.
My son and i watched the Voice on the huge telly and ordered room service, I had a really tasty Spaghetti Carbonara from the Italian and my son had Scampi and chips and a coke from the pub
Both were really hot (i comment on this as i often find that the prob with room service is the food is cold by the time it's come along the corridors to you) and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
The beds were very comfy (on the firm side) and we slept superbly not even hearing hubbie return until he put all the lights on to go to loo!
The walk down to our inclusive breakfast the next morning past the beautiful scented spa rooms made me wish i'd booked a massage ...oh well next time! The leisurely full brekkie (well that's obligatory when it's included in your room rate isn't it)? was really good even my son helped himself to a cooked selection and commented how good the sausages were. The tea came promptly and the waitress was attentive without being overbearing.
We packed up and left with me genuinely wishing i'd booked another night...the retail therapy at the outlet village 10mins down the road helped though......aaaaaahh the weekend, oh well back to work to earn some more money to keep my rock god husband in the style to which he'd like to become accustomed!

Room Tip: If booking a family room the small extra amount to upgrade to the deluxe is well worth it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Such a shame as this hotel could be lovely. It's a good size and the rooms are spacious too but my goodness so drab. We stayed in 112 which was actually two large rooms together. It is so dark and drab. No ceiling lights just black lamps, black and grey wallpaper and for the price we paid compared to that of other hotels it was not good value at all. The road noise is quite bad in this room and it was quite cold even though the radiators were on. No spoons for coffee making and no glasses left with the bottle of water. Breakfast was ok. Bit cold and greasy but edible. The victory pub was not fantastic for their menu. Our food was overcooked and dry. The staff were pleasant enough. Reception were not very informative at check in. Would much rather a premier in or hilton anyday. If refurbished it could be lovely. Would like to see an executive lounge and a nicer dining experience. We stay in hotels on a weekly basis for business and pleasure and this has been the poorest for sometime.

• Stayed March 2014