“Standard Village affair but Hot and Noisy”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have been in a few Village Hotels throughout England and this is the first one with a working Internet so thats a plus! I'm hear in June and it is approx 22C outside however the room is exceptionally hot with no air conditioning..bummer. The Hotel is clean and stylish as you would expect but if you are looking to eat here I suggest walk up the road as the Victory Pub that is used produce very bland and poor quality food. The road outside my room (260) is very noisy even with the windows closed so request one around the back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments and your recent Review.
I was pleased to read the Free WiFi was a positive point of your stay and thanks for your other comments regarding the Pub Food, we will of course follow up these.
We do have a variety of Bedrooms with Air Conditioning but not all so maybe next time request one and hopefully you will have a more pleasant stay. Not all Village Hotels have Air Conditioning so it might be worth asking prior to your booking
Thanks for the review, look forward to seeing you back at Village soon and best wishes

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Swindon

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I travel and stay in hotels four to five nights per week. As you'll see from my other reviews I recognise excellent service when I experience it.

However, last night at this hotel was terrible. Firstly, on checking in I was told 'your room rate includes breakfast, would you like to open an account for extras'... Yet at breakfast I was asked to pay for my breakfast. The room rate was £125, for which I expect a level of service. This twice what I paid the night before in the same town. See my other review and stay there instead!

Secondly, we were enjoying that excellent summer weather. What the hotel told me on checkout, when I asked if any rooms had air conditioning, was simply 'yes family rooms'... So I had a terrible night's sleep in a very hot non air conditioned room - unusual for such a modern hotel and makes me wonder who decided on families needed air con.

Thirdly the food was excellent... However, despite avoiding 1930 as asked by reception my starter took 40 minutes to arrive and a further 30 for main course. This was a real let down especially as I had encourage a business colleague to break his journey from Cornwall to Manchester to join me.

On checking out I was waiting to be asked if all was ok with my stay. But I wasn't asked and I therefore feedback is open for all to see and for the hotel to action and respond to.

I shall be going back to my usual chain of hotels having been let down by DeVere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your recent review and sorry you were disappointed with several aspects of your stay.
It is important to get Guest feedback and I am unsure as to why you were not asked this. As a regular Business Traveller there were several issues that concerned you and I would have been more than happy to discuss these with you prior to your departure or even after, unfortunately this was not the case.
It’s a shame that a couple of errors have dissuaded you from visiting us again and I would be more than happy to try and recover you future business. My email details are andrew.spink@village-hotels.com
Very best wishes and again my apologies

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here on numerous occasions over the year's and know that the rooms overlooking the courtyard are by far the best as opposed to the very noisy car park . I phoned the hotel directly an spoke to Matt to request this. He said the hotel was going to be full but there was one room left on the courtyard and that he would make sure that we were located it. On arrival we were told by a lady receptionist that there was no courtyard rooms and we had been allocated a car park view. I did say that Matt had assured us and that I was not very happy. She then said that there was one courtyard room but it was an " upperdeck" and would cost an extra £ 20. We reluctantly paid the fee. The room (249) was wonderful and we sat in the huge window area for a large part of the evening before we went over to the bowling complex across the way. Breakfast.....Beautiful morning and we asked to sit outside on the balcony. The waiter said no, because the tables had not been wiped over and there was no cutlery!!! We went out anyway and just lifted some cutlery from another table. No cheese , cold meat, fruit flavoured yoghurt......very, very basic . Check out was 11 am and I asked reception if we could stay on till 12 to enjoy the room again . Thought they may ask housekeeping to just leave our room till last ( they can't clean every single room at precisely 11 am and Holiday Inns allow us to stay till 2pm) The answer was " Yes, but it'll cost you an extra £10" .......So my sentence " Not very obliging" is my view of this hotel. Such a shame!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank rubyred456
AndrewSpink, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for your comprehensive Review following your last visit.
We appreciate your comments as a regular visitor and sorry there were a few niggly issues which could have been avoided.
I will follow up as to why your Room Request was not honoured but pleased that you enjoyed the Upper Deck experience.
Next time you are planning a visit, call me personally at the Hotel and will arrange a Upper Deck with my compliments.
Look forward to seeing you back soon
Best wishes

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Having attended a reception here recently,I must comment that the quality of the food provided was very poor.
Initially the guests that went to the buffet were offrered whatcappeared to be a good selection and some healthy options.
When I went to the buffet, although there were still about 50% of guests to eat, all that was left were deep fried chinese snack options!
When I asked a young waiter if the other goods were being replenished, I was informed after a shrug of the shoulders, that if there was anything in the kitchen, this might be the case, if not then no!
Apart from this, the overnight stay was fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueBridgend_UK

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to Review the Hotel following your stay.

It was nice to read you enjoyed your stay but I was sorry to read you were disappointed with the quality and quantity of the Buffet at the Event you attended.
We were unaware of any issue with the Buffet and the appropriate Catering would have been provided based on those numbers paid for so I am sorry if certain items were unavailable at the time of your visit to the Buffet.
Thanks again for your comments

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked this hotel via buy a gift as it had the best reviews from there options. The staff were both friendly and helpful at check in even though there were several conferences and a wedding in process. The spa on the second floor was a surprise and my wife and I both indulged in body massages which were great value. We then had a drink in the victory bar / restaurant which is on site which had a great atmosphere unfortunately no Guinness. The buy a gift voucher included a free dinner in the on site Italian restaurant, the staff gave us a warm welcome, were really friendly and the waitress "Cat" was excellent. The food was was tasty and plentiful with a well presented and themed room. Parking was free the gym and swimming pool were available to use to guests.
The room was well presented with a fairly large modern tv and firm mattress. I was disappointed that the room lacked air conditioning the weather was really warm and we felt it in our room the windows were on a safety mechanism which prevented them opening more than a few inches

Room Tip: The upper deck rooms have wide opening windows
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to Review the Hotel following your recent visit.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your visit and delighted you enjoyed Dinner in Buca did Beppo, Cat will be pleased to read your personal comments regarding her Service in Buca. Thank you.
Although as a brand we don’t serve Guinness, Oyster Stout is available and worth a try.
Come back and see us again, our Standard Rooms do not have Air Conditioning but some of our Upgraded Room Types do.
Best wishes and thanks

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for my sister's birthday party, I was doing the flowers and the staff could not have been more helpful. They provided a room overnight for the flowers, wonderful. The staff without exception were fantastic, from the food and beverage manager to the staff on the bar and the lady covering the evening, nothing was too much trouble. They were a great team. Lovely food and a nice room, I would say the only downside was no air con and on a hot night, we needed it!
We would stay here again,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Woodystours14
AndrewSpink, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to review the Hotel

I was really pleased to read how much you enjoyed the Evening and will pass on your kind words to Gareth and his Team. Come back and see us and don’t forget to book a Room with Air Conditioning.

The Flowers looked fantastic by the way, really enhanced to look of the Inspiration Suite, well done.

Best wishes and thanks again

De Vere VILLAGE Urban Resorts
Part of the De Vere Group

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Swimming pool full of sand.
Gents toilets have broken seats.
Gents showers in sports complex disgusting.

Ate the spicy beans and egg in a tortilla shell in the sports bar and was extremely ill that night and following day.

I would like to say this is a one off however I frequent the services of the hotel very often (3-4 days a week) and have complained about the problems continuously since January with no change.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Deepskisam
Jane K, Administrator at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel as a Leisure Club Member.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the Club are a concern and on your next visit could I ask you speak to myself or the Leisure Club Manager and we will discuss these with you personally. We do have strict cleaning schedules and my apologies if this has not been evident on your visits. The Sand is part of our filtration and cleaning process and occasionally this does enter the Pool but is dealt with and does not pose any risk to our Guests.

I am unsure if you advised anyone of your Pub experience so as to allow the appropriate follow up and action if necessary.

Thanks for your continued membership and look forward to seeing you on your next visit

Senior General Manager