“Excellent each time we stay”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Excellent each time we stay”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good hotel, friendly staff, very quiet good food ~ we have stayed here about 7 times . Location is good we visited Bristol, Bath and Gloucester. Bowling, laser quest and food within walking distance. Pub across the road behind the sports centre and Asda. We went upper deck, worth paying that little extra for better coffee and TV channels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks for your great Review and for coming back to see us so often !
The Hotel is a great place to stay and visit the surrounding areas and we are delighted you like coming back so often.
Next time you visit, let me know it would be nice to say hello personally.
Thanks again and best wishes
Andrew Spink

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
cirencester
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Myself and my Mum came Saturday 21st June for just the one night, had a lovely time, room was nice, clean the beds were comfy, it was a little dark just some pastel lampshades not black and hey presto ,it was quite a long way to get to the room for my Mum but this was my mistake as I should of asked for a room closer to the lift,

We had drinks in the lovely big court yard garden which was a lovely surprise as on the brochure says nothing about this lovely feature of the hotel then I had a swim, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam which was lovely and relaxing. We then had a lovely meal in Buca Di Peppo in the hotel, we had a slight problem with our order but this was promptly dealt with by the friendly staff.

we finished our evening in the Victory Pub in the Hotel, where a gentleman was playing his guitar and singing, can't remember his name he was very good.
After a good nights sleep we had a lovely breakfast which was in the Buca Di Peppo restaurant or could of been taken outside in the courtyard garden.
Myself and my Mum will definitely be back hopefully soon xx

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your Review, we really appreciate it and I was delighted to read how much you and your Mum enjoyed your visit.
Great to hear you could take advantage of the nice Weather and enjoy drinks in the Courtyard (our Secret Garden). Thanks for your comments on the Food and Service in Buca do Beppo and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Best wishes
Scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I haven't actually been to Las Vegas, so perhaps I shouldn't use that city as a metaphor. Anyway, my family of four stayed here for two nights, and I found the whole experience strangely impersonal and unsettling. The fault lies in the modernity of the building, I feel, which can't really be changed. It's lacking in character and very plastic feeling. And the decor of the dining room! One word - tacky. More words: the hotel feels like a long meandering corridor of a place; when we got to our room it contained only a double bed, despite my having booked a family room. This initial irritation, however, was dealt with very speedily when I called reception, as housekeeping arrived promptly and set up the sofa bed. The room was large, quiet, clean and functional. And characterless. Breakfast was greasy, unimaginative but plentiful. The dining room was a horrific, crowded, noisy experience; made worse, for my young, shy daughter at least, by the over-exuberant maitre d', who insisted, both mornings, on engaging her, loudly, in conversation. She was terrified. Frankly, I'm not all that keen on such bombastic bonhomie so early in the morning either. But that is my only complaint about staff - the ladies on reception were pleasant, and I ought to mention one young chap who worked in the bar in the evening, who went above and beyond the call of duty tending to our table of 11 (friends joined us). He deserved a medal. And I have to admit, the price of our stay was exceptionally reasonable, so if it's value for money you're after, by all means book the Village Urban Resort. If it's something a little more... quaint? British? Tasteful? Steer well clear.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks for your Review, I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
It was nice to read you found the Team helpful but I was sorry to read the style and layout of the Hotel and Buca di Beppo was not to your liking.
The additional comments you made will be reviewed by the Team and thanks for letting me know.
Best wishes
Redditch
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed on the night of 30th June.

Check in was quick, efficient and polite.

The room was clean and tidy, tea coffee etc.

Food from the bar (fish and chips) was served quickly and was hot, tasty and very generous in portion size.

*Quick tip, I was going to get room service but there is a £ 3.50 service charge. The staff are more than happy to give you a tray so you can take your food back to the room. This way I was able to put as much salt and vinegar on my chips as I wanted.

Breakfast was very nice, a large selection to choose from all nice and hot. If you ask for Gluten free bread, they will bring it to you already toasted. Breakfast staff were very friendly and attentive.

Free WiFi through out hotel always a nice touch, and its a reasonable speed, always appreciated.

All in all, very nice, I would stay again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thanks for your Review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.
It was nice to know you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Glad to read you enjoyed the Fish and Chips from the Victory Pub, a local favourite.
Best wishes and thanks again for your Review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent 4 nights in this hotel last week and my husband is back again on a business trip. On my first stay, the mattress protector was covered with hair and the mattress had all sorts of stains of gross fluid! On complaining, another room was offered. However, on a second time stay, we encountered the same issues. The mattress protector was filthy and covered with hair. Although another room has been offered, I feel this hotel does not care about the hygiene, health and safety of the customers. I wanted to speak to the Manager last time but he/she wasn't 'available'. I will have to request the company to give their business to some other hotel as the thought of going back to this hotel with disgusting mattress and bed is dreadful. I wouldn't be surprised if I see a standard nonsense 'apologies' reply to this review. They have other facilities like gym, spa and restaurant which is good. But going back to basics, good hygiene and sanitation comes foremost!

Room Tip: Check the mattress protector, bed sheet and mattress before unpacking your luggage!
1 Thank Kavita B
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear of the issues you experienced last week.
We do take Health and Safety of our Guests very seriously and it concerns me that you think otherwise.
I was unaware of the issue and your request to see me and would have dealt with your concerns immediately and offered my apologies and an appropriate solution to your concerns.
If You could contact me on andrew.spink@village -hotels.com so I can discuss this with you it would be very helpful and I can also arrange to see you Husband who you said was visiting us again this week.
Many thanks
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Husband and I stayed 2 nights-first night troubled by road noise in room 224 but staff were more than happy for us to switch to room looking onto courtyard so lots quieter 2nd night. Breakfast was brilliant- very busy but food was hot and very tasty and staff excellent. Used pool twice nice and warm and not bust at all. stayed on for sunday lunch at the Italian it was brilliant-loads of it hot and tasty and the desserts totally scrummy! few problems but staff always very willing to help. We would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that open onto courtyard to avoid road noise
Dear Guest
Thanks for your Review and I was really pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us.
I was pleased to see how much you enjoyed Breakfast and Lunch in Buca di Beppo as well as your time using our Leisure facilities.
Thanks again and best wishes

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here from Thursday 26th June in the upper deck room great food good and staff helpfully just what it says in the brochure so all good ! The weekly quiz was fun and the locals had invited us to play, good fun for value best around, we would stay again for sure

Stayed June 2014
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks for your really encouranging Review, we appreciate it.
It was great to get such positive feedback and I will ensure all the Team are aware of your comments.
Great to read you felt welcome in the Victory Pub and were able to join in with our Weekly Pub Quiz.
Look forward to seeing you back some time and thanks again