Village Hotel Swindon
US$110
Hotels.com
US$61
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$74
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$50
US$73
US$70
2,402 results
All reviewsitalian restaurantpizza hutclub roomvictory pubthe upper deckbowling alleylaser questleisure parkice rinkleisure facilitiesgreat facilitiesswimming poolcoffee machinelovely hotelsteam roomenjoyable staylovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for one night as a stopover with our 18month old.
We booked this hotel at very short notice through booking.com and chose it because of the reviews here and the fact everything was onsite including a swimming pool.

Good points first:
The hotel is only a few mins off the M4 so a good stop over point and very easy to find. (and apparently close to the town, although we didn't go there)

There is plenty of FREE parking outside the hotel.

First impressions were good, everything was pretty clean and tidy

The swimming pool was great, quite small and an adult can stand up throughout. Our baby loved it! (only a "big" pool though so no small warmer one for v young babies)

They give you towels on the pool reception so you don't need to take separate ones which would have been handy to know before hand.

We had a meal in the pub/restaurant in the hotel on the evening. The staff were very friendly and all chatted to our little one.
We asked one of the male members of staff if they had full cream milk we could give to our baby later on, but they said they only had semi but recommended the starbucks next door (also in the hotel) but then he went off an got some for us!
(the following morning we went to the starbucks and they supplied us with warm milk for our baby again)

The bed was a ziplink (2 singles together) quite comfy to sleep separately but a definite ridge in the middle.

The room was similar to a premier inn room, although slightly larger.

The hotel breakfast was a good selection but one of the teenage waiters who was looking after us let it down by just grunting at us (as teenagers do), but the rest of the staff were OK.

Minor bad points:
The food in the restaurant was quite dry. We had ribs and the meat was almost as hard as the bone in some places.

The room was pretty hot (possible because of the towel rail in the bathroom), we had our baby's room thermometer and it was averaging 25/26 degrees even with the window open and fan on and it wasn't one of the hotest days so not best for sleeping.

Very Bad points:
We had 1 "by design" big problem and two pretty severe faults..

First, the by design problem, in our bathroom, there was a towel rail running under the sink. This got VERY VERY hot and we checked with reception and it couldn't be turned off. This made the bathroom extremely hot as the weather wasn't exactly cold BUT our main concern was that it was at a height where our little boy could touch it and burn himself. For one night this was OK as we coated it in towels and we tried to keep him totally out of the bathroom but if we'd been staying a while I could see it ending badly.

The other two problems we had were;
1. We couldn't use the shower in the morning, there was something wrong with it which meant even at the coldest setting it was still scolding hot. We had to bath instead which is definitely not ideal when you are in a rush!
2.When the water had gone down from the shower, dirty water came out of the drain in the floor under the sink. I had actually left a few clothes on the floor so they got soaked!

We reported these two to reception and got a discount on our room by a very apologetic duty manager (hence the very good rating)

All in all, we'd probably return but would try and get a room where there wasn't an accessible towel rail if we were travelling with out 18 month old.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks for your detailed Review, we appreciate your comments and views.
Great to hear how helpful you found the Team and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.
The Heated Towel Rail is fed off the Hot Water Mains and not Electric so my apologies for the inconvenience this caused as well as the other operational issues you experienced in the Bathroom.
Hope to see you soon and thanks again for your positive comments.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a Disaster booking this Hotel was . I was travelling with 3 children and online there's no option to book this , so pumped in 2 adults n 2 children . Then phone the hotel direct to book 1 adult & 3 children but the price was a lot more expensive . After being on the phone at various times ( amounting to at least 2 hours of my time being wasted n so many emails it got beyond a joke ) . Finally I had it verbally confirmed that the right room was finally ready for up at 2.47 on day of arrival . I will add this was my 17th visit to a de vere lactation and 4th time to Swindon n never before have I ever received such bad pre -arrival service . You should be ashamed .
After arrival tho I can't fault anything , staff in both Pub and restaurant were delightful and nothing was too much trouble . The room was Amazing and we all had such a great weekend . Such a shame it was tarred by a few awful receptionists . Loads of fab thing for kids to do in Swindon n tbh most of what we done was free , always a winner

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank AlysonBicester

Dear Guest
Thank you for your Review and I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us despite the issue over your Booking.
Unfortunately you are unable to book Standard Rooms with 3 Children although we can accommodate up to 4 Children in our Family Plus Rooms and they can only be booked direct with the Hotel. Unfortunately they were all sold for your requested date.
Thanks again

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I came here (as most people do ) to get away from it all & have a look at an area I have barely visited before !
I got a special deal which meant paying just £49 a night !! On arrival ,I have to admit my heart sank when I saw the amount of people sitting around the lounge and quite a few children running riot - the carpets looked as if they were well ready for replacing and the whole place just needed some TLC !!!
However the efficiency of the check in staff soon made me feel better !! When I arrived in room 229 it was spacious , clean & well thought out - no complaints what-so-ever !!
Breakfast every morning , was delicious & plentiful - EXCELLENT VALUE - certainly more than any individual could ever try to eat !! The staff ( especially the " little Chinese lady " - please forgive me if I'm wrong on the nationality ) were so helpful & kind !!
The leisure staff were very helpful & friendly , and the facilities were clean & certainly adequate !

All in all , an ideal place to use as a base to visit the Cotswolds & surrounding area - I would certainly have no hesitation with re- visiting this hotel !! Jenny ( for the Chinese lady. - I'm the person who works a minimum of 50 hours a week )

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for you Review, we really appreciate your comments.
Great to hear how much you enjoyed the Breakfast from Nila and I have already passed your comments on to her.
The Hotel is very busy with Leisure Members and visiting Guest's including Children during the Summer and I am pleased this will not put you off visiting us again.
Thanks for all your comments and your Review
Best wishes

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Visited here for one night on our way to Devon. I'm a member of the Velocity gym so got a good discount on the room (£70 for a standard family room with breakfast included).

All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, friendly and the reception staff in particular made a real fuss of our little girl, which she loved! Check in (and out) was smooth, efficient and left you with a good first impression of the hotel.

Rooms were modern and tastefully decorated, clean, tidy and had all the facilities you would expect from a modern hotel (inc. free wifi). Rooms also smelled really nice, a bit like lemongrass, which was welcoming as you walked in. Decent size cable tv, with good selection including all the sports channels (if you don't fancy watching the game in the bar). Most importantly, the beds were comfortable so you got a restful nights sleep.

Access to the gym, pool & jacuzzi included in the room price. Pool was a little small for any serious swimmers out there but great for a quick dip and there was a separate shallow pool area for young children.

Breakfast was buffet style with continental and cooked options. The majority of the breakfast was fine but avoid the croissants. They were dreadful. Hard, plastic looking, long-life things with very little taste. The Italian restaurant was closed the evening we were there so can't comment on the quality of the dinner menu. We opted to eat in the bar instead. Some of the menu options were on the pricey side (£16 for a burger) and there wasn't a huge choice of meals, mainly consisting of flatbread/pizzas, wraps and jacket potatoes. That said, The bar food was better than in a lot of hotel bars and was enjoyable.

I would recommend this hotel for its facilities, rooms and friendly atmosphere and if I was ever staying in Swindon again I would choose this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your Review and I was pleased to read as a Village Leisure Club Member you enjoyed your overnight stay.
Nice to read your comments on how well we looked after you and your Family and hopefully we will see you back again soon.
Just so you know our Pub Menu offers our famous Classic Burgers from £8.95, the Burger at £16.50 is the V Stack Challenge which is a 15oz Burger, to be eaten in 15 Minutes and Money Back if you succeed along with a Free T Shirt every Friday.......maybe next time !
Thanks again and see you soon
Best wishes

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here as part of a relaxing weekend with friends. From the minute we arrived till the moment we left, I could not fault the staff or the establishment. There was a choice of places yo eat. The pub food was fresh and excellent. The choice was varied and the quality great. Breakfast at Starbcks was good too. The Spa couldn't do enough to make us welcome and relaxed and the atmosphere in the gym was welcoming and friendly too. I highly recommend this as an all inclusive UK venue

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto the garden courtyard might be noisy if weddings are taking place, but otherwise the rooms are comfy and roomy
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks very much for your positive review, we really appreciate you taking the time.
It was nice to read how much you and your Friends enjoyed your Break with us and how highly you rated the Hotel.
Hope to see you again soon and the Team will be delighted to hear your kind words.
Very best wishes