“We finally made it!”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have been to this hotel several times with girlfriends but in May decided to visit with family, the day before we were due to go I was admitted to hospital, my sister rang the hotel to cancel the booking and spoke to a lovely lady called Anette, who I understand has since left, she very kindly offered (because we had pre paid) to move the booking, since then I had to move the booking another two times and this was done with no problems, so just for that thank you very much!
We had two rooms booked, I had requested the king rooms to be split into twins and to be in a quiet area, these email requests were responded to and carried out.
We used the pool and steam, we also had treatments in the spa, all good...
We didn't eat in the hotel but we used the bar and were served quickly and efficiently...
Good to see a familiar face to greet us at breakfast and the same lovely young man cooking the eggs, my husband says he does better poached eggs than most London hotels!
Thank you for another great visit Andrew and I am only sorry I didn't see you in person to thank you...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Guest

Great to read your Review and sorry we didnt get the chance to say hello during your this visit.
I will pass your kind words onto Jai our Breakfast Chef and all theTeam.
Look forward to seeing you back again soon, drop me a note before you come and we can have a nice Starbucks.
Best wishes and thanks again
Andrew

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Firstly, the rooms were great. Very spacious, clean and everything we needed.

However, the real let down of this hotel are the staff.

We arrived in the early evening with our 6 year old after a long day at Legoland so we decided to eat in the bar downstairs.
Everything seemed fine, it was very quiet - only 4 tables taken so we ordered our food and drinks quickly at the bar. The man behind the bar was, in a word, disinterested to say the least! He took our order and when I asked for a tab to be opened as we may order deserts he just said "Room No!" which I gave to him and then he just walked off!
The food arrived quite quickly and was good, but then the problems started.
Our childs meal option included a chocolate cake desert. So after we had finished our main course, we sat and waited for the table to be cleared so that we could request deserts. The dirty plates sat on our table for 25mins and still nobody came to take them away or let us know about desert options. I went to the bar to ask for our childs desert and for the table to be cleared and went to sit back down. 15 minutes later it had still not been cleared and no desert!!

I then went again to the bar and complained stating that 40 minutes was a very long period of time for a 6 year old to wait for their desert to which a member of staff shrugged their shoulders!!!
We left to go up to our room in disgust.

The next morning we went down to breakfast which was served in the Italian Restaurant - the gentleman at the door greeted us with "come with me, this is our busiest time" to which we were shown back through to the bar to sit to eat breakfast.

The breakfast itself was fine - serve yourself and quite a good selection.

We then went to Reception to check out.
There were 3 staff behind the counter and one couple checking out.
I went up to the two staff who were free behind the desk and they both looked at me and then started chatting between themselves. I stood and waited for them to attend to me but they carried on their conversation. After a few more moments I then had to say "Excuse Me, but could I check out please?"
One of them then turned to assist me - asking me "Everything ok with your stay?"
I informed him about the night before and the problems with the service to which he responded "I'm sorry about that!"
He carried on checking me out on his computer systems and I proceeded to tell him that I did not blame the hotel itself and the staff on Reception but I think that he should be aware of the issues we had.
He thanked me and said he would look into it - but he did not request any contact information from me to let me know of an outcome and he did not offer a refund on the desert my child missed out on.
It was a very poor way to deal with a complaint and I felt that it should have been dealt with much more professionally.
Since returning we noticed that we had left our phone charger in the room - I have sent two emails but no response to those either!
A very poor way to treat customers.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your Review and I appreciate your comments.
I was sorry to read we failed to deliver ou usual levels of service and my apologies for this, we will of course follow up the points you raised.
I have been unable to trace any email correspondence to the Hotel regarding your Phone Charger, so please drop me a note with your details and I will follow this up also.

email, andrew.spink@village-hotels.com

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast with my husband and our 2 year old son. Decided to upgrade to an upper deck room and for just £20 a night extra, I think it was well worth it. We got a large, nicely decorated room, Starbucks drinks in the room and Sky package. We were also lucky enough to get one of the air conditioned rooms. I emailed the manager prior to arriving as wanted to confirm that our son would need a bed not a cot in the room. I received a prompt reply even though he was on holiday followed by another one on his return a few days later just confirming details. What excellent service!! On arrival I found the reception staff to be helpful and efficient and was absolutely delighted with our room. We ate our inclusive breakfast and evening meals in the hotel restaurant and were very impressed with the choice and quality of the food. We were fortunate enough to have Freya as our waitress who was a real credit to the team.
Handy hint if you are using the hotel as a base for days out..there is a large M&S food hall just on the other side of the roundabout if you need to buy food for a picnic... we stopped off on our way to Longleats.
We really enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your Review, we really appreciate it.
It was nice to know we made your time with us special and I will pass on your comments onto Freya and all the Team.
Come and see us again and thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights with bed and breakfast and evening meal on the first night as a gift package. Check in (and out) was efficient, quick and polite; no hold-ups or problems. We had an "upper deck" room which was comfortable, of a good size and clean. The bed was large and comfortable too. The window was on the entrance side of the hotel, though the room was rather dark (room 174). The amenities offered in the room comprised tea and coffee making, flat screen TV with sky movies, iron and ironing board, free wifi and also toiletries in the bathroom.

We were booked into the Italian restaurant on the first night and the food was excellent, with attentive service. The restaurant itself is appropriately decorated and has rich soft furnishings, including chandeliers. The prices are reasonable. We really enjoyed our meal and, in view of this, decided to eat there again on the second night of our stay. Once again, the meal was excellent . We did not eat in the "pub" restaurant, so cannot comment about that.

Breakfast was served in the Italian restaurant and we found that plenty of choice was offered including, yogurts, fruits, cereals, croissants and pastries, toast and cooked English breakfast. This is buffet style and you eat exactly what, and as much, as you choose. The quality of food was high. Although the restaurant was busy, this did not mean a long wait for anything.

We did use the pool and jacuzzi. Although the pool was not too large, it was fine and the water at a comfortable temperature. The jacuzzi was really warm with strong jets. The staff of the leisure facilities were friendly and helpful. The changing rooms were spacious and clean.

It was a pleasant surprise to find just how close the hotel is to the Cotswolds and Cirencester. On one day we were able to reach Cirencester and then travel to the Slaughters with ease and other towns/villages were easily accessible if we had decided to visit them (we did not intend to keep travelling, as we wanted to relax as well!).

We would certainly revisit this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and an Upper deck room. Ask which rooms have more day light coming in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest
Many thanks for you comprehensive Review, we appreciate your time.
It was nice to read how much you enjoyed your visit and you made the most of visiting the Cotswolds.
The Hotel is a great place to base yourself for a few days and explore the local tourist attractions and I am dleighted that you are considering coming back.
Check out the www for similar Deals in the future.
Thanks again and best wishes

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for one night as a stopover with our 18month old.
We booked this hotel at very short notice through booking.com and chose it because of the reviews here and the fact everything was onsite including a swimming pool.

Good points first:
The hotel is only a few mins off the M4 so a good stop over point and very easy to find. (and apparently close to the town, although we didn't go there)

There is plenty of FREE parking outside the hotel.

First impressions were good, everything was pretty clean and tidy

The swimming pool was great, quite small and an adult can stand up throughout. Our baby loved it! (only a "big" pool though so no small warmer one for v young babies)

They give you towels on the pool reception so you don't need to take separate ones which would have been handy to know before hand.

We had a meal in the pub/restaurant in the hotel on the evening. The staff were very friendly and all chatted to our little one.
We asked one of the male members of staff if they had full cream milk we could give to our baby later on, but they said they only had semi but recommended the starbucks next door (also in the hotel) but then he went off an got some for us!
(the following morning we went to the starbucks and they supplied us with warm milk for our baby again)

The bed was a ziplink (2 singles together) quite comfy to sleep separately but a definite ridge in the middle.

The room was similar to a premier inn room, although slightly larger.

The hotel breakfast was a good selection but one of the teenage waiters who was looking after us let it down by just grunting at us (as teenagers do), but the rest of the staff were OK.

Minor bad points:
The food in the restaurant was quite dry. We had ribs and the meat was almost as hard as the bone in some places.

The room was pretty hot (possible because of the towel rail in the bathroom), we had our baby's room thermometer and it was averaging 25/26 degrees even with the window open and fan on and it wasn't one of the hotest days so not best for sleeping.

Very Bad points:
We had 1 "by design" big problem and two pretty severe faults..

First, the by design problem, in our bathroom, there was a towel rail running under the sink. This got VERY VERY hot and we checked with reception and it couldn't be turned off. This made the bathroom extremely hot as the weather wasn't exactly cold BUT our main concern was that it was at a height where our little boy could touch it and burn himself. For one night this was OK as we coated it in towels and we tried to keep him totally out of the bathroom but if we'd been staying a while I could see it ending badly.

The other two problems we had were;
1. We couldn't use the shower in the morning, there was something wrong with it which meant even at the coldest setting it was still scolding hot. We had to bath instead which is definitely not ideal when you are in a rush!
2.When the water had gone down from the shower, dirty water came out of the drain in the floor under the sink. I had actually left a few clothes on the floor so they got soaked!

We reported these two to reception and got a discount on our room by a very apologetic duty manager (hence the very good rating)

All in all, we'd probably return but would try and get a room where there wasn't an accessible towel rail if we were travelling with out 18 month old.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, General Manager at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks for your detailed Review, we appreciate your comments and views.
Great to hear how helpful you found the Team and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.
The Heated Towel Rail is fed off the Hot Water Mains and not Electric so my apologies for the inconvenience this caused as well as the other operational issues you experienced in the Bathroom.
Hope to see you soon and thanks again for your positive comments.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a Disaster booking this Hotel was . I was travelling with 3 children and online there's no option to book this , so pumped in 2 adults n 2 children . Then phone the hotel direct to book 1 adult & 3 children but the price was a lot more expensive . After being on the phone at various times ( amounting to at least 2 hours of my time being wasted n so many emails it got beyond a joke ) . Finally I had it verbally confirmed that the right room was finally ready for up at 2.47 on day of arrival . I will add this was my 17th visit to a de vere lactation and 4th time to Swindon n never before have I ever received such bad pre -arrival service . You should be ashamed .
After arrival tho I can't fault anything , staff in both Pub and restaurant were delightful and nothing was too much trouble . The room was Amazing and we all had such a great weekend . Such a shame it was tarred by a few awful receptionists . Loads of fab thing for kids to do in Swindon n tbh most of what we done was free , always a winner

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank AlysonBicester

Dear Guest
Thank you for your Review and I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us despite the issue over your Booking.
Unfortunately you are unable to book Standard Rooms with 3 Children although we can accommodate up to 4 Children in our Family Plus Rooms and they can only be booked direct with the Hotel. Unfortunately they were all sold for your requested date.
Thanks again

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I came here (as most people do ) to get away from it all & have a look at an area I have barely visited before !
I got a special deal which meant paying just £49 a night !! On arrival ,I have to admit my heart sank when I saw the amount of people sitting around the lounge and quite a few children running riot - the carpets looked as if they were well ready for replacing and the whole place just needed some TLC !!!
However the efficiency of the check in staff soon made me feel better !! When I arrived in room 229 it was spacious , clean & well thought out - no complaints what-so-ever !!
Breakfast every morning , was delicious & plentiful - EXCELLENT VALUE - certainly more than any individual could ever try to eat !! The staff ( especially the " little Chinese lady " - please forgive me if I'm wrong on the nationality ) were so helpful & kind !!
The leisure staff were very helpful & friendly , and the facilities were clean & certainly adequate !

All in all , an ideal place to use as a base to visit the Cotswolds & surrounding area - I would certainly have no hesitation with re- visiting this hotel !! Jenny ( for the Chinese lady. - I'm the person who works a minimum of 50 hours a week )

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for you Review, we really appreciate your comments.
Great to hear how much you enjoyed the Breakfast from Nila and I have already passed your comments on to her.
The Hotel is very busy with Leisure Members and visiting Guest's including Children during the Summer and I am pleased this will not put you off visiting us again.
Thanks for all your comments and your Review