“A very pleasent, enjoyable stay”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We would like to take this opportunity to say "Thank you" to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay a pleasent and enjoyable experience. Excellent facilities, lovely food, all round absolutely perfect. We would especailly like to mention Danielle, who works on Reception. Nothing was too much trouble for her, she was very friendly, always smiling and she made our second night stay at the hotel very special. She very kindly gave us the opportunity to stay in an executive room, which was clean, comfortable and with the little extras such as complimentary mini bar, bathrobes.

We will definately be returning for a weekend in the very near future.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed 16 May 2009

The De Vere in Swindon provides the business traveller with a comfortable stay however it does have its upsides and downsides like most Hotels. On the upside you get big rooms, big beds, change of menu each day, bar, a great gym and pool, free internet. The downsides are that it is not exactly close to town, across the way from a nightclub which can get rowdy on some nights, total lack of security at night, tired and dated rooms although some rooms did seem a little more updated than most and did offer A/C though most do not, so it can be uncomfortable on that occasional balmy brit summer evening. Then there is the staff.... they are not exactly the friendliest of people you would come across. Don’t get me wrong there is 1 or 2 that take hospitality seriously, but most are working there as it seems they have no other choice and treat customers accordingly, one staff member serving customers in the bar seemed as though she just got out of the gym and didn’t bother to change. Anyway the Hotel is alright to stay for a night or 2 but otherwise I would look elsewhere and who knows if your lucky enough you may even spot Basil wondering the corridors.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed here after getting a £10 deal on last minute - and were really surprised. The hotel is in a good location (near enough to the motorway to be easy to find, but not close enough to be troubled by the noise) and is situation on a leisure park with bowling, cinema, pizza hut etc. Its is brilliant if you are staying in Swindon for the shopping as the Great Western outlet and Marlborough are just down the road. The staff were pleasant and friendly and the room was really nice. There was also a lovely courtyard garden that would be great in the nicer weather, and the pool/gym also looked really good. My only downside to this hotel would be the bar prices - which to be honest are frightening - but then you generally expect that in hotels! If you can get a deal I would definetly stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 18 March 2009

We stayed for one night on a £10 deal. The hotel was easy to find- it's on a leisure park with ten pin bowling, cinema etc. so well signposted from ring roads. The room was well decorated, clean and well furnished. The bed was comfy and we had tea making equipment. The check in receptionist could have been a little more welcoming- a smile goes a long way. My only real grouse was that the room was far too warm- we'd turned off the radiator so it must be unbearable in summer. I woke up in the night because I was so hot! We didn't eat in so can't comment on standard of food.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Stayed for one night at Shaw Ridge with my wife and child (aged 11). We managed to get a Premium Double room on the De Vere website for £10!! When we arrived they had no record of our booking, this has happened before with De Vere so luckily we had printed off our confirmation e-mail as proof.
Once in our room we noticed that the extra bed had not been put in place. Went back to reception and told them i was not happy about this and the fact that they had no record of my reservation. Within 5 mins we were upgraded to a Suite on the 2nd floor which was bigger than our house!! Fantastic value for a tenner! Checked the price list behind reception and this room should have cost me £165!!
The leisure facilities are superb, great gym and an excellent pool. All the staff are very helpful. Nice bar aswell to relax in the evening.
In the evening we visited Fusion Chinese restaurant just across the car park. Absolutely superb! All you can eat for £10.99 per adult, slightly over priced for Swindon but really good food and we were not hurried at all. The desserts for a chinese restaurant were also excellent. The prawns in black pepper are particularly good!
After our meal we headed back to the bar for a nightcap before retiring to our huge room for the night.
Another swim in the morning and then and excellent breakfast. We have stayed in several De Vere's now and we have never had a bad breakfast. For £7.50 we thought it was excellent value and again the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only reason i haven't given this 5 stars is because the check in was a pain as they had no record of my booking and also if i was paying full price i think i would have been slightly dissappointed about the room quality, both rooms we saw, even the suite, looked like they could do with a refurb, they weren't dity, just tired!
To sum up, we had an excellent time and the facilities are fantastic. For £10 it was an absolute bargain!
Please De Vere if you are reading this then sort out your online booking system so guests don't have to prove they have booked when they turn up!! Its humiliating and frustrating!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I stayed here last weekend with my wife for 3 nights. We only paid £10 pn! Therefore this was a fantastic value hotel for that price. If we were to pay full price I would have been disappointed. Quite tired and shabby in places and the rooms are not that spectacular. I would say this was an average 3 star. Around the area there are lots more better places to stay we have seen than this. It is quite good for business users, good WiFi and relaxing areas and decent location.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2009

For the price I paid, £29.00 a night, this hotel was excellent. My stay was during the holiday period between christmas and new year.

However if I paid the full rate I would have been hugely disappointed. The hotel opened in the early 1990's and nothing has changed, same carpet, wallpaper, bathrooms, and furniture. This used to be a good solid 4 star hotel, but is now in desperate need of renovation. The bathrooms are very poor with mouldy grout making it particularly unappealing.

The sound proofing between the rooms is poor. I was woken up at 06:00am as either housekeeping or maintenance worked in the next-door room. No need for this, as hotel was empty.

Room service was poor and disorganised, however food was good.

The 3 star review is purely due to the price I paid, at £29.00 I got value for money. However if I had paid more than £50.00 a night I would have been disappointed. Anything above £90.00 would

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple