“Great Service at the Marriott”

Swindon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 18 March 2008

The service was excellent, sometimes a little over the top but the staff were so friendly and helpful it didn’t matter.
Breakfast was superb with lots of variety. A tiny complaint regarding dinner was the lack of vegetables served however I am sure if I asked the waiter some would have magically appeared.
The room and bathroom were very clean. Plenty of towels, which made a pleasant change. I was annoyed that the television was on when I entered the room. I think the clearing staff must be instructed to turn it on as when I returned to my room to change for dinner it was on again advertising the hotel. Not very environmentally friendly.
If I am ever in Swindon again I would seriously consider staying at the Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lemoncurd

Reviewed 30 November 2007

Stayed at Marriott Swindon late Oactober. We booked a suite and DBB. On arrival we found only a superior room had been booked for us so had to wait almost an hour for suite to be made ready!! We were taken to the coffee bar and offered a complimentary coffee while we waited... and waited.. and waited now not only for our room to be cleaned but also for the coffee as there was only one member of staff serving and it was the day of the rugby final so bar was a little busy. Eventually (luke warm, very weak) coffee arrived, my travelling companion has chronic health problems and just wanted to be able to lie down but after checking with reception we were advised wait would be a little longer. Eventually our room was ready and our bags were taken up for us. The suite was pleasant enough with sitting and dining area and a very large bed but the room was very dark, the window could not be closed completely,the TVs (one in sitting area and one in bedroom) didnt work properly, only satellite channel was BBC parliament!!! and each remote control changed the channel on the other TV!!! The bathroom was ok, as usual there was only one robe/pair of slippers and only one comp bottle of water(always seems to be the case in large hotels despite information on booking to the contrary)Dinner was adequate, but service VERY slow, dessert appeared to not be defrosted completely in the middle tho staff were very quick to remedy any problems we had. Room service was on time but food lukewarm only. There were many little niggles but I have to say the saving grace of this hotel is its wonderful staff, although when I requested a discount from the bill because of all the little things which spoiled our break, I was disappointed that only £4:15 was taken off!!!! An insult when the bill was in the hundreds!!!Subsequent contact with excellent Marriott customer relations department has resolved the issue but I don't think I would stay again, the Hilton has nicer suites and staff also extremely helpful.

3  Thank daveysprecious
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Hmmm, not really sure how to review this hotel.
To start with the staff & check in was good. Friendly & helpful.
We booked a smoking room, which we got, smelt like it hadn't been aired in a long time but hey we get used to it. The level of cleanliness in the room was not good enough for a 4*. While the size of the bedroom and bathroom was lovely, the hairs in the bath and grime on the taps was not so good. When we arrived back on the saturday afternoon the room had been serviced, sort of, the bed was made & the towels were replaced but the room service breakfast order sheet had not been replaced and the tea and coffee had not been refreshed.
We ordered room service breakfast and dinner both days. Breakfast was plentiful and dinner was good.
All in all a pretty average stay

1  Thank stepmumHampshire
Reviewed 27 October 2007

I stay quite often at Marriotts - you pretty much know what you are going to get and this one is no exception. I struggled to find the place as I arrived Swindon in the dark and had not been there before. Kirsty in the B&Q superstore gave me some good directions - unfortunately these were for another hotel and I found myself miles from where I should have been. A call to the reception (very helpful) and some further directions from a petrol station eventually got me there - follow the signs for Old Town
As for the hotel - room good, bed very good, evening meal very good (calves' liver is excellent) and breakfast is the usual hit and miss buffet affair. The staff were very good too and friendly.
I stayed on a Friday night and got a very good rate - I assumed it was cheap because no-one stays here on Fridays, but I was surprised how busy it was.
All-in-all I would come back if in the area again, especially now I know where it is!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank iamallovertheplace
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Room modern,clean and comfortable.Breakfast a good choice but the English was only ok with undercooked bacon and runny scambled egg.The Dinner menu was lacking choice , no vegetables with the main course, the portions small but plenty of bread rolls were offered to compensate! The soup was watery and out of a packet. Drinks overpriced especially the wine and the service slow. Not a pleasant experience. We used the Leisure facilities for an early morning swim as the pool became very crowded in the evening.Overall the Hotel lacked atmosphere ,the public areas were clinical and the design poor ,with access to the Leisure Centre via the Bar!

1  Thank adrian1
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Hotel generally very good, with decent facilities, and good food. Stay spoiled by cleaner burtsting into room while I was getting dressed without bothering too knock - not what one would expect from any hotel, let alone one of an otherwise excellent standard.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank BurtonMountaineer
Reviewed 29 August 2007

Visited hotel over bank holiday weeked as a base for visiting family in the area. Booked via hotel direct with a dinning package, which allows for room, breakfast and dinner in the hotel.

Hotel is easy to find about 5 mins from the M4 and didnt seem to suffer from road noise. Reception is very nice and staff very all very friendly. Despite pre-ordering a cot, and being assured at reception that it was in our room, it wasnt. Howvever, this was quickly remedied.

We ate in the cafe bar rather than the main restaurant both nights and the food was excellent, there was quite a wait on the sunday night. Menu ranges from sandwiches to steaks, pizzas. There is also a specific childrens menu and they seemed happy to amend food as requested.

facilities are excellent, there is a well stocked gym with a pool, sauna and steam room. the only slightly strange aspecct is the cafe windows overlook the pool, great for non-swimming family members to watch you i guess.

Room was well-apportioned and in good state of repair.

My only quibble, and i'm assuming that this is marriott policy as this happens every time i go away with them. Even though they know i am booked on the dinning package, the first bill you get adds the cost of the food to the accomodation cost. Adding another £60 odd pounds to the bill. They are happy to amend at reception when queried which again makes me wonder if they do it all the time.

Overall, the dinning package is good value for money compared to the price of a travelodge for the night in a supreior hotel

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family