“Fair hotel”

Swindon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 11 June 2008

Stayed there 3 nights for business reasons. I was first given a room for handicapped person, approximately 30% size less than a normal one, with a one-person bed, a joined door, special equipment in the bathroom etc. Needless to say, I came right back to the reception, requesting another one... which I got -it was close to midnight. While I appreciated the responsiveness of the staff, I would have much more appreciated getting the room I had booked right first time!!
Apart from that, service was OK, the bed was comfortable, bathroom was acceptable, breakfast was excellent although somewhat expensive. I tested the heated indoor pool as well, which I did not find in a great state of cleanliness.
One more thing: do avoid booking taxis through the direct line at front desk. I booked mine the day before I left in order to avoid waiting for too long. It never showed up though; and it was not until the 3rd call in the morning that I eventually got one. Almost missed the train...

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank todebald

Reviewed 26 May 2008

What a great night!!
I stayed at the Swindon MArriott hotel this month when I attended their annual charity ball. It was excellent.
I haven't experienced service like this in a very long time. Everyone I came into contact with was helpful and polite, nothing was too much trouble. As far as the Charity ball, the food was wonderful, the entertainment great and all for a worthy cause. I'll be back next year. When I hope even more money will be raised for good causes

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FundraiserSwindon
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Marriott Swindon. This is probably one of the dullest buildings you will ever clap eyes on, even for Swindon a town which is a veritable treasure trove of architectural mediocrity with much more than its fair share of monstrosity. The hotel does however boast large, clean, well kept rooms…
free parking and some cracking deals mean it can cost less than a Travel Inn with an excellent breakfast and of course the health facilities making it stonking value. The pool is a particularly family friendly environment. The only problem is finding a reason to go there, the shopping village is ok for the girls for a few hours and right next to that is the GWR steam museum, a must for the boys…but beyond that, well…this seems a great value hotel till you realise there’s very little to do in Swindon once you’re there!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2008

The service was excellent, sometimes a little over the top but the staff were so friendly and helpful it didn’t matter.
Breakfast was superb with lots of variety. A tiny complaint regarding dinner was the lack of vegetables served however I am sure if I asked the waiter some would have magically appeared.
The room and bathroom were very clean. Plenty of towels, which made a pleasant change. I was annoyed that the television was on when I entered the room. I think the clearing staff must be instructed to turn it on as when I returned to my room to change for dinner it was on again advertising the hotel. Not very environmentally friendly.
If I am ever in Swindon again I would seriously consider staying at the Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lemoncurd
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Stayed at Marriott Swindon late Oactober. We booked a suite and DBB. On arrival we found only a superior room had been booked for us so had to wait almost an hour for suite to be made ready!! We were taken to the coffee bar and offered a complimentary coffee while we waited... and waited.. and waited now not only for our room to be cleaned but also for the coffee as there was only one member of staff serving and it was the day of the rugby final so bar was a little busy. Eventually (luke warm, very weak) coffee arrived, my travelling companion has chronic health problems and just wanted to be able to lie down but after checking with reception we were advised wait would be a little longer. Eventually our room was ready and our bags were taken up for us. The suite was pleasant enough with sitting and dining area and a very large bed but the room was very dark, the window could not be closed completely,the TVs (one in sitting area and one in bedroom) didnt work properly, only satellite channel was BBC parliament!!! and each remote control changed the channel on the other TV!!! The bathroom was ok, as usual there was only one robe/pair of slippers and only one comp bottle of water(always seems to be the case in large hotels despite information on booking to the contrary)Dinner was adequate, but service VERY slow, dessert appeared to not be defrosted completely in the middle tho staff were very quick to remedy any problems we had. Room service was on time but food lukewarm only. There were many little niggles but I have to say the saving grace of this hotel is its wonderful staff, although when I requested a discount from the bill because of all the little things which spoiled our break, I was disappointed that only £4:15 was taken off!!!! An insult when the bill was in the hundreds!!!Subsequent contact with excellent Marriott customer relations department has resolved the issue but I don't think I would stay again, the Hilton has nicer suites and staff also extremely helpful.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daveysprecious
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Hmmm, not really sure how to review this hotel.
To start with the staff & check in was good. Friendly & helpful.
We booked a smoking room, which we got, smelt like it hadn't been aired in a long time but hey we get used to it. The level of cleanliness in the room was not good enough for a 4*. While the size of the bedroom and bathroom was lovely, the hairs in the bath and grime on the taps was not so good. When we arrived back on the saturday afternoon the room had been serviced, sort of, the bed was made & the towels were replaced but the room service breakfast order sheet had not been replaced and the tea and coffee had not been refreshed.
We ordered room service breakfast and dinner both days. Breakfast was plentiful and dinner was good.
All in all a pretty average stay

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stepmumHampshire
Reviewed 27 October 2007

I stay quite often at Marriotts - you pretty much know what you are going to get and this one is no exception. I struggled to find the place as I arrived Swindon in the dark and had not been there before. Kirsty in the B&Q superstore gave me some good directions - unfortunately these were for another hotel and I found myself miles from where I should have been. A call to the reception (very helpful) and some further directions from a petrol station eventually got me there - follow the signs for Old Town
As for the hotel - room good, bed very good, evening meal very good (calves' liver is excellent) and breakfast is the usual hit and miss buffet affair. The staff were very good too and friendly.
I stayed on a Friday night and got a very good rate - I assumed it was cheap because no-one stays here on Fridays, but I was surprised how busy it was.
All-in-all I would come back if in the area again, especially now I know where it is!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo