“Good hotel; interesting restaurant service”

Swindon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Herts
“Good hotel; interesting restaurant service”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I chose this hotel as it was located very close to my client's offices. The check-in was efficient and the bedroom clean and well equipped.

My only criticism was dinner. The food was adequate - very similar to the preprepared food you get in pub chains. And the service was below expectations for two reasons. It took 20 minutes to serve my starter, which was soup. I presume they weren't cooking it from scratch so I have no idea why it took so long. Second, the restaurant was almost completely empty. I was dining alone. For some reason, the waitress decided that seating a family of five who had a noisy toddler next to me was a good idea. The result was I left as soon as I could!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank willidh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Pleasantly surprised at this hotel as it mainly caters to the business market with Intel and nationwide on its doorstep. On this particular weekend the hotel was very busy, mainly due to a RAF reunion, and of course England was at the time still in the world cup. Staff were very efficient, and the extras like feather pillows booked on line were in our room on arrival.
On booking in and identifying myself the young man on reception mentioned that it was he who sent the emails and had everything gone smoothly I Liked this little touch of interest. We or my daughter had a bar meal which was fine, but the restaurant was hijacked by the raf chaps and their ladies. However breakfast was very good and catered for UK and international visitors.
As a guest you can use the health club, gave that a miss, pool was fine but on the small side, and a tennis court which daughter and I did have a knock around on.
Overall I liked this hotel, rooms were clean, and large enough for two nights with a child in bed of her own, bar was very busy, but quietened down once the fly boys went to dinner.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
swindon
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I am a member of the leisure club and would like to swim each day but there is almost always a problem in the leisure club and usually a notice apologising for something that is not working.

I am sure that the hotel is very good but the pool water and air temperature is usually bitterly cold so be aware of this if you are planning a leisure break with children. The hotel is very close to my home so I have hung on for well over a year hoping they can sort out all the various problems but I am now looking at other leisure clubs.

• Stayed June 2010
jo1972palmer
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with our two children (6 and 10 yrs). There was ample room for all of us and staff were excellent and very accomodating to our requests. The pool was great for my children, and didn't even need to bring extra towels. We would say that the restaurant was quite expensive in the evening but there are a couple of excellent places locally to eat if you have children which were very reasonably priced. Location of hotel is great too and very easy to find. Breakfasts were excellent too, I would recommend going to the B&B option and ring hotel rather than book online as I found they gave me a better deal.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
cotswold
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Great service in the loung bar and restaurant.
Try the oxtail and scallop starter - its delicious.
Good shopping at the Great Western Outlet Village.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
beccles
Reviewed 28 November 2009

Booked this hotel via there own website the day before and was impressed to get it for £65 inc breakfast...... arrived at 3pm, parked car in car park ( huge and seemed safe), and checked in immediately, the chap on reception was swift, friendly and very helpful ( he drew me a map to get to the nightclub where i was playing that night - I'm in a band), first impressions was what a nice reception area!!!, hope rooms are like this?....... i was right, booked double room of which was lovely.. huge bed, big room, everything was spotless......used leisure club twice, this was nice too!, ate in the restaurant before gig and it was nice and good value however portion size was a bit disappointing....... service was the best ever in there but not intrusive......... got back from gig at 2am and slept well and woke refreshed......... breakfast was again fantastic with lots of choice ( buffet style), check out was quick and several members of staff wished me a safe journey ( nice touch that)........CONCLUSION - i normally stay at Hilton's and this was my first time in a Marriott....... it wont be my last!...worth every penny!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2009

My partner, 8 yr old daughter and I sayed here over half term for a bit of family time away. This hotel was perfect for us. We were allocated a 2 dble bedded room, which was much appreciated by my daughter, who normally gets the sofa bed in hotels!
The hotel was extremely clean and well maintained. We enjoed swimming in the pool. Not the hugest of pools by any stretch of the imagination, but we knew this before, and it was great for a dip. There was also a good gym.
We got an excellent rate for b&b and dinner on the 1st night, where we were allowed to choose nearly anything from the restaurant menu. We were very impressed not only with the value for money that this provided, but also because we found the quality to be excellent. We had to pay for my daughter's meal. burt her portions were virtually the size of an adult portiion, and also of excellent quality. There was also an excellent choice at breakfast and this was again of a really high standard (nice to have full sized pastries as opposed to the mini ones that are so often prominent at breakfasts).
The thing that stood out for us about this hotel was the exceptional service we received. Every single member of staff was cheerful, helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. They made us feel realy special, which I think makes all the difference to a hotel anf the enjoyment factor.
My only negative comments would be that the bathrooms could possibly be due for an upgrade, and the hotel is not in the centre of Swindon. (parking was free though, which was good).
We would reccomment theis hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Swindon, we had a lovely time!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family