“Past its best”

Swindon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 11 October 2010

This is a hotel for someone wanting a convenient stop over for work, wouldn't recommend it for a leisure trip. Staff are helpful but building is industrial looking and outdated. Aircon in room is too noisy to sleep through and if you manage to open the heavy windows instead, the aircon units outside the building will keep you awake too. Pay movies took payment but wouldn't play volume, which the hotel couldn't fix. Cooked breakfast served in room was disappointing quality for the £15 price. External area outside reception needed a good clean despite the red carpet gaffer taped down for someone's wedding reception and reception area had a worrying smell of bad drains and air freshener on the final morning. Must be better value in Swindon for the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Swindon Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 26 September 2010

We take breaks at various hotels throughout the year and we have got to say that this hotel is one of the top hotels for many reasons. The staff at this hotel can not be faulted, they are very professional and pay a lot of attention to detail. We booked for bed and breakfast and the choice and quality of the food was second to none, we ate at the hotel on the 2 evenings we were there and throughly enjoyed the meals and the waiting staff were excellent. We would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family and will not hesitate to return for another week end in the near future ourselves.
Mr&Mrs B, Southampton.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I use Trip Advisor before travelling anywhere so felt I had to review this hotel as our stay was so enjoyable. All the staff were very helpful and the room was lovely, very clean and very comfortable. It was very well located for transport links to the centre of the city and walkable to 'the old town' shops and bars. Again we were told which bus to catch and where. We decided at short notice to have dinner at the hotel and although they were busy we were seated promptly and enjoyed an excellent meal. Breakfast was also very good value at just a small additional charge on booking, plenty to choose from and delicious. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

It is a very good hotel: friendly staff, lovely rooms, cleanliness is up to a high standard. Don't be afraid to book it, you will have a lovely time there. Cosy beds. Apparently, they put a duvet on top of the mattress that's why it feels so comfortable. If you travel with kids, go and visit Lydiard House (ca. £ 7 -9 one way on a taxi). We did - , hired bikes and explored the surroundings (wonderful Wiltshire countryside). All and all: We had brilliant time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I chose this hotel as it was located very close to my client's offices. The check-in was efficient and the bedroom clean and well equipped.

My only criticism was dinner. The food was adequate - very similar to the preprepared food you get in pub chains. And the service was below expectations for two reasons. It took 20 minutes to serve my starter, which was soup. I presume they weren't cooking it from scratch so I have no idea why it took so long. Second, the restaurant was almost completely empty. I was dining alone. For some reason, the waitress decided that seating a family of five who had a noisy toddler next to me was a good idea. The result was I left as soon as I could!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank willidh
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Pleasantly surprised at this hotel as it mainly caters to the business market with Intel and nationwide on its doorstep. On this particular weekend the hotel was very busy, mainly due to a RAF reunion, and of course England was at the time still in the world cup. Staff were very efficient, and the extras like feather pillows booked on line were in our room on arrival.
On booking in and identifying myself the young man on reception mentioned that it was he who sent the emails and had everything gone smoothly I Liked this little touch of interest. We or my daughter had a bar meal which was fine, but the restaurant was hijacked by the raf chaps and their ladies. However breakfast was very good and catered for UK and international visitors.
As a guest you can use the health club, gave that a miss, pool was fine but on the small side, and a tennis court which daughter and I did have a knock around on.
Overall I liked this hotel, rooms were clean, and large enough for two nights with a child in bed of her own, bar was very busy, but quietened down once the fly boys went to dinner.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I am a member of the leisure club and would like to swim each day but there is almost always a problem in the leisure club and usually a notice apologising for something that is not working.

I am sure that the hotel is very good but the pool water and air temperature is usually bitterly cold so be aware of this if you are planning a leisure break with children. The hotel is very close to my home so I have hung on for well over a year hoping they can sort out all the various problems but I am now looking at other leisure clubs.

• Stayed: June 2010