“great hotel, read the bill”

Swindon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Maldon, United Kingdom
“great hotel, read the bill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

Visited hotel over bank holiday weeked as a base for visiting family in the area. Booked via hotel direct with a dinning package, which allows for room, breakfast and dinner in the hotel.

Hotel is easy to find about 5 mins from the M4 and didnt seem to suffer from road noise. Reception is very nice and staff very all very friendly. Despite pre-ordering a cot, and being assured at reception that it was in our room, it wasnt. Howvever, this was quickly remedied.

We ate in the cafe bar rather than the main restaurant both nights and the food was excellent, there was quite a wait on the sunday night. Menu ranges from sandwiches to steaks, pizzas. There is also a specific childrens menu and they seemed happy to amend food as requested.

facilities are excellent, there is a well stocked gym with a pool, sauna and steam room. the only slightly strange aspecct is the cafe windows overlook the pool, great for non-swimming family members to watch you i guess.

Room was well-apportioned and in good state of repair.

My only quibble, and i'm assuming that this is marriott policy as this happens every time i go away with them. Even though they know i am booked on the dinning package, the first bill you get adds the cost of the food to the accomodation cost. Adding another £60 odd pounds to the bill. They are happy to amend at reception when queried which again makes me wonder if they do it all the time.

Overall, the dinning package is good value for money compared to the price of a travelodge for the night in a supreior hotel

• Liked — friendleness
  • Disliked — attempt to increase size of bill
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank terryhey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2007

Stayed at the Marriott Thursday and Friday nights. The hotel is well located to explore the area (including the outlet mall) with some nice modern rooms, comfortable rooms and friendly staff (once you find it that is - come on Marriott a larger sign please: if you are driving there it's next to Intel). The hotel has a restaurant, bar and a small leisure centre. Surroundings are quite green and pleasant.
My 4* rating is an average of 5* and 3*. Essentially:
Thursday night, more expensive, was excellent. The pool (a small one) was almost empty as was the bar and the place was quiet and felt really quite luxurious. Ate in the bar (we had a lovely lunch at the Pear in Purton) and that was pleasant enough with dull but reasonable sandwiches and good service. Breakfast was excellent.
Friday night, much cheaper, was rather different. Apart from a wedding (Hotel can't help that) with some loud and very drunk guests, the place was simply overrun - at one stage 25 people in an 11m pool ! The restaurant just could not cope: a friendly waitress was way out of her depth (could not even open the bottle of wine without help) and although the food was adequate the service was pathetic. Breakfast was nothing like the morning before with half the food and twice the customers (at 9 am).
The Marriott is a nice hotel but the friendly staff were not very experienced and perhaps management should spend a little more in hiring for peak times. Tennis court was not great but good enough but Leisure centre is subpar although clean and modern.
It worked for us but the difference in standards should be highlighted.

• Liked — Modern and clean
  • Disliked — Pool is too small. Avoid Swindon town centre: it's pretty ghastly.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Gastronauta
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

Stayed here for two nights on business. Overall the stay was fine, just a few niggles.

Had a problem on the second day, the chain on my bedroom door became stuck "on", so neither myself or the cleaning staff could get into my room before my return at 6pm. It was instantly fixed by maintenance and I was told that my room would be serviced before 9pm. Returning from dinner (in town) at 8.50pm, it stil hadn't been cleaned. I asked at reception and it was done immediately.

the room was average size, beautifully decorated and furnished, bedding and towels were exceptional, nice toiletries and refreshments! Very comfortable overall. The only snags were a little air-in-the water-pipe noise and noisy adjoining room doors slamming, but this was bearable as there was no sound from inside rooms or the lift which I was right next to.

I didn't eat breakfast, just took some fruit, but what was on display was plentiful and a good selection.

I think this would be a good hotel for tourists as well as business people. It is a little out of (old) town ( a few mins in the car), but not really walkable and certainly a good ride to the new town. I have to agree with previous contributors, it was difficult to find initially.

The old town has a nice selection of restaurants.

• Liked — quality and room standard
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank esstenn
txs1981
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Swindon hotel for one week. The room was a comfortable size, and the temparature was easily controllable. The staff was friendly, but could not speak English very well. We ended up having to search for things like a cash machine and petrol station on the internet.
The price for internet access was expensive during our stay (75 pounds per week, 15 per day), but was very necessary to try and get directions. My advise would be to either hire a car that has a navigation system, or print out very detailed directions at home and bring them with you.
I think the most difficult thing was finding the hotel the first night! We had printed directions off the internet, but they were not detailed enough, and we made a couple of wrong turns.
Overall, we had a good stay, but in hindsight, we should have insisted upon a car that had a navigation system.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
South Dakota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2007

I was in town for a wedding and stayed at this hotel in June of 2007. This was one of five Marriotts I stayed at on our vacation, and was the very best of them all. The service was excellent. I was allowed to check in two hours early. I did need to wait for 15 minutes for the room to be cleaned and was offered a drink while I waited. The room was spotless. I moved items in the mini bar and realized that I wasn't supposed to move the items or I would be charged for them. I told the front desk and the charges were removed promptly. The pool and fitness center were great. There were several employees always available to help me. I was from the United States and England was new to me. They arranged for a cab, printed directions to my next hotel, told me about the mall close by and always had a smile for me. The property was well taken care of and beautiful. One night in the restaurant, I asked about a tv show, and the waiter went our of his way to figure out which channel it was on for me. The food was excellent. You can not go wrong with this hotel.

• Liked — The service was awesome!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank FreemanSD
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2007

I have stayed here on average 3 nights per week between August 06 and Jan 07.

I tried a number of hotels in Swindon and this is my favourite.

Location
Just outside Old Town (so likely you'll need a car or a taxi to get where you want to be). Taxi from new town/train station to marriott is £5 each way. You can walk to the restaurants in old town in 10 minutes but a taxi is £4.

Rooms
Good size and very comfortable and high spec. Beds are extremely comfortable. Everything is well maintained.

Very very good. The staff in the restaurant know my favourite room service order off by heart and know my name at reception and the breakfast room. There's been the odd occasion of some problems (not surprising bearing in mind how many nights I have stayed there) but it has always been solved to my satisfaction (free wine!).

Pool
A little small but lengths are doable as long as it isn't too crowded.

Very good, good selection of both healthy and unhealthy!

And another thing
If you're a regular traveller sign up for marriott points, they are brilliant.

• Liked — comfortable beds and good food
  • Disliked — sometimes its fully booked!
  • Tips/Secrets — register for marriot reward points
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank TravelBug47648
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2006

I stayed at the Swindon Marriott for a business meeting last week, I was not impressed. Firstly the room we had the meeting in was uncomfortably warm, with no temperature control. We had tried to check into our rooms on arrival but found the system was down and they were unable to check us in.

After the meeting when we came to check into our rooms, it turned out the system was still down and after checking us in we had to be taken to our rooms as no key was available.

I had booked non-smoking, but was given a smoking room and when I phoned reception and asked to be moved to a non-smoking room and I was advised that this should be possible and they would call me back. 45mins later I went down to reception, to be told they couldn't move me as I hadn't booked a non-smoking room!!

After a pleasant evening in the restaurant and bar, when I came to go to bed I had to wait 15mins for someone to appear at reception (despite ringing bells and asking the bar staff) when eventually someone was able to give me a room card.

When I eventually got too my room, as well it still smelling of smoke the bed was uncomfortable and after getting little sleep I went down to breakfast after 6am to find they did not provide early breakfasts. I decided to leave there and then and never go back to a Marriott unless its impossible to avoid them!

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go here!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business