“Absolute nightmare- Avoid like the plague!”
Review of Campanile Swindon

Campanile Swindon
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Oxford
“Absolute nightmare- Avoid like the plague!”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My partner and I live in Oxford, so not far from Swindon at all. There's a fab restaurant there that we enjoy going to and decided that we couldn't be bothered to drive back and so booked this hotel.

The first gripe I had was the location. It's on an industrial estate and without meaning to offend, Swindon isn't the most "romantic" city in the world at the best of times, and even less so when staying on an industrial estate.

The downstairs of the hotel seemed ok. But I waited for about 10 minutes for anyone to notice that I was waiting. The barman actually ended up going to get the Receptionist who didn't attend with any kind of urgency at all.

We were given our key and told which floor it was on. On opening the door, I was horrified to see how tiny it was. It didn't fit much more than the double bed in it. I went in to the (tiny) bathroom to check that my request for a bath had been met only to find 3 big chips in the bath. Really not pleasant. I called Reception and asked to be moved, but was told that all the rooms are the same. She wasn't wrong. The 2nd room was identical. Untasteful lime green and just as tiny. Plus size is the bath was useable in this one.

Free WIFI was advertised but didn't work. I called Reception again and was told that they could give me the helpline number for the internet provider. Surely it wasn't my job to sort the hotel's internet problems?

The TV reception was awful and the "freeview" consisted of about 8 channels. I wasn't in a hurry to speak to the receptionist again so we just turned it off and went to sleep hoping things would be better in the morning... Sadly they were just going to get 10x worse.

The "hypnos" beds that they rave about are awful. First time I've woken up with a bad neck in a while. Only positive is it's quite quiet, but then we live in a village in the middle of no where so this wasn't a luxury.

My partner got in the shower and I turned the basin tap on. Due to no thermostats or some thing like that (my partner is a plumber), he got very badly scalded when the water in the shower turned extremely hot. We're not talking a little bit warmer- he was really burnt by the temperature.

We went downstairs and he told the Receptionist (the same one that was on the night before) who barely muttered sorry. My partner continued to explain that had we bought his young children, the story could have been very different. He asked to see a manager only to be told he was "out of the country". She promised he'd call the next day, and surprise surprise- it never happened. My partner called and spoke to them and was refunded the night's stay.

I work in a 4-star hotel. I know how hotels work and what is wrong and right. This was awful. Admittedly, we'd only paid £45 for one night which is cheap, but I would have been better off burning the money. I don't care how little you pay, you do not expect what we got. The ONLY good thing was the free parking. But on an industrial park, what do you expect?

The Holiday Inn in the town centre is £10 more, includes breakfast, and is 100x better. Save your money and stay at home!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Best rates obtained booking direct through www.camanile.com
Beats Late rooms and the others by miles.
Great breakfast as well if you want...
Staff very helpfull
Great easy access to town centre as not far to walk to a bus stop...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
ipswich
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Don’t expect luxury, but it was fit for purpose and good value. Take it for what it is, a reasonable quality crash pad.

Positive

Clean, reasonably quite, staff attentive, comfortable.
Good price
Breakfast was fresh and plentiful
Easy to find, near to the motorway

Possible negative

Small rooms, but ok for a short stay.
Baths/ shower needs a grab rail for the less mobile
Not sure about the garish green décor.
No wardrobe, but ok for a short stay.
Rooms can get stuffy.

Other.

We also had an evening meal. Price was ok and the food was the normal gastro pub, quick food that you seem to get in 80% of pubs. Edible and filled a hole, but was not blown away.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel because we wanted something reasonably priced for a night. Originally looked at Travelodge which was actually more expensive than The Campanile! We found it lovely and clean, friendly and comfortable, perfect for our needs! The hotel has a bar area which is open late, our table was candlelit! Room was modern and clean. We both had the full English breakfast for £8.50 the following morning which was tasty, even had newspapers! You don't usually have breakfast options at Travelodge! Free parking, coffee facilities in the room and flat tv in bedroom! We would stay again!

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank angel71032
London UK
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at the Campanile as we were driving around wiltshire and it was a good central location to where we needed to go. The outside of the hotel is a bit like an old factory so not very impressive, but the hotel is in an industrial area and thats part of the reason why the hotel is budget. The location does mean u get free parking though which is another plus

I was really impressed by the hotel, the room was a reasonable size and basic, but clean and had everything we needed (including tea and coffee that so many budget places do not provide). It was a nice flat screen TV which the other half liked and the bed was nice and comfortable for us to rest from a day of driving. You also get free wifi which is great and not provided by lots of other hotels.

Breakfast was great, fresh fruit, croissants and yoghurt. We didnt go cooked breakfast as continental was more than sufficient. Stay away from the coffee machine thouhg - yuck! Didnt have dinner at the hotel, but they did have 3 course dinners for aroun £10 which is great.

Location wise, hotel is great, just off the motorway and short drive to city centre, a big sainsbury and even a shopping outlet!

Overall i was really impressed by the hotel - considering we paid about £50 for a night incl breakfast I was really impressed and would not hesitate to stay again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 7leafClover
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Stayed in a few of these kind of hotels over the years but this place was fantastic. Every single member of staff couldn't do enough for us. Including printing off maps and finding information for us regarding local travel and nightlife.
The restaurant waiting staff were exceptionally good. Very friendly and knew exactly when to come over for a chat and when to leave us alone to enjoy the food.
The food was surprisingly good. We had the Hors d'œuvre buffet which included salmon, pate, cheese, olives and all the usual trimmings. All nice and fresh and very tasty.
The continental buffet breakfast and Full English were both great with plenty of choice.
The rooms were well maintained if basic, but very comfortable and clean. With plenty of towels and a good shower.
We was in a room near to the lift, which for some people might have been annoying. But we are heavy sleepers so we never noticed it at night.
Good point was the free wifi around the hotel including the rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spaceman42
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2011

The hotel has been refurbished fairly recently and hence facilities are clean, tidy and modern. TV in the room was flat screen, other furnishings were a litle "Easyjet" like (but green!). The dining wasn't great. The menu was fairly uninspiring and it made a big sell on the fact they use seasonal veg. Then they served me mange tout and new potatoes .... in January! I had Lamb Wellington as a main course and it was ok, but more like a lamb pie. Breakfast was ok; it was a bit cheeky to ask for an extra £2.50 for the cooked breakfast. I think £6.50 is expensive for breakfast, nevermind asking for more money. The receptionist wanted to charge my account for more money than the hotel cost at the beginning of my stay, to cover extras. I rejected this, but thought that it was an odd thing to do as standard.

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business