My partner and I live in Oxford, so not far from Swindon at all. There's a fab restaurant there that we enjoy going to and decided that we couldn't be bothered to drive back and so booked this hotel.
The first gripe I had was the location. It's on an industrial estate and without meaning to offend, Swindon isn't the most "romantic" city in the world at the best of times, and even less so when staying on an industrial estate.
The downstairs of the hotel seemed ok. But I waited for about 10 minutes for anyone to notice that I was waiting. The barman actually ended up going to get the Receptionist who didn't attend with any kind of urgency at all.
We were given our key and told which floor it was on. On opening the door, I was horrified to see how tiny it was. It didn't fit much more than the double bed in it. I went in to the (tiny) bathroom to check that my request for a bath had been met only to find 3 big chips in the bath. Really not pleasant. I called Reception and asked to be moved, but was told that all the rooms are the same. She wasn't wrong. The 2nd room was identical. Untasteful lime green and just as tiny. Plus size is the bath was useable in this one.
Free WIFI was advertised but didn't work. I called Reception again and was told that they could give me the helpline number for the internet provider. Surely it wasn't my job to sort the hotel's internet problems?
The TV reception was awful and the "freeview" consisted of about 8 channels. I wasn't in a hurry to speak to the receptionist again so we just turned it off and went to sleep hoping things would be better in the morning... Sadly they were just going to get 10x worse.
The "hypnos" beds that they rave about are awful. First time I've woken up with a bad neck in a while. Only positive is it's quite quiet, but then we live in a village in the middle of no where so this wasn't a luxury.
My partner got in the shower and I turned the basin tap on. Due to no thermostats or some thing like that (my partner is a plumber), he got very badly scalded when the water in the shower turned extremely hot. We're not talking a little bit warmer- he was really burnt by the temperature.
We went downstairs and he told the Receptionist (the same one that was on the night before) who barely muttered sorry. My partner continued to explain that had we bought his young children, the story could have been very different. He asked to see a manager only to be told he was "out of the country". She promised he'd call the next day, and surprise surprise- it never happened. My partner called and spoke to them and was refunded the night's stay.
I work in a 4-star hotel. I know how hotels work and what is wrong and right. This was awful. Admittedly, we'd only paid £45 for one night which is cheap, but I would have been better off burning the money. I don't care how little you pay, you do not expect what we got. The ONLY good thing was the free parking. But on an industrial park, what do you expect?
The Holiday Inn in the town centre is £10 more, includes breakfast, and is 100x better. Save your money and stay at home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Refurbishment completed Jan 2009, including all bedrooms, restaurant and bar. It is now modern and comfortable with Free Wi-Fi internet, ideal for business or leisure. Bedrooms: Comfy Beds, Flat screen TV, Courtesy tray and all en suite. English and Continental Breakfast. Restaurant open Lunch and Dinner featuring savory and sweet buffets, food all day. Bar with Sky TV. Hotel was taken over by Campanile from Ibis Jan 2008. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HRS, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Campanile Swindon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Campanile Swindon Hotel Swindon
- Hilton Garden Inn Swindon
- Campanile Swindon Wiltshire