“DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT COME TO THIS HOTEL IF YOUR A COACH PARTY”
Review of Campanile Swindon

Campanile Swindon
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
“DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT COME TO THIS HOTEL IF YOUR A COACH PARTY”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Superbly clean, rooms very basic a hanging rail on a pole for your clothes no drawers, an ottaman lid very heavy to lift, good size room and bathroom lovely shower. Hurrah for Ari superb waiter who made hell a little better. Breakfast a heart attack waiting to happen very greasy, dirty plates, school dining room set up long tables of people squashed
together. Evening food just edible and I mean just. As we were a coach party the night we arrived we were told your on a set menu that's it so it was lasagne or veg version if you don't like that tough. Our party made it clear that's was not acceptable and eventually got something we could eat. Overheard someone say what do they expect on a cheap holiday. We asked for bread with our soup julie waitress said very rudely no and walked off Ari saved the day. Soup was burnt on saturday and sunday breakfast our tour rep was told tell your customers they can't use the coffee machine rude waitress turned it off leaving coffee as only option. Once again ari saved the day. Sunday we found a harvester for sunday sheer bliss. Overall staff are rude, surly and totally unhelpful. Considering there was 100 of booked in you'd of thought they would have been bending over backwards. Treated like second class citizens. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Ok..this is the example of getting what you pay for although in this country you would expect more when it comes to service.
I stayed at the hotel for a few days including a weekend and none of those days were pleasant there. I would have been better accommodated sleeping in a dog house and probably would have had an overall better service too.
Reception was busy when I arrived and the wait checking in was extremely long. Seems the hotel is either understaffed or very disorganised. Staff are not very friendly. After a poor night's sleep, you wake up to the blinding fluorescent green walls that give you an instant hangover. But not to worry, the extremely hot water in the shower will boil your skin right off your bones and that should sober you right back up again.
With bad expectations I found out breakfast wasn't so bad after all. The buffet has quite a wide selection and starts quite early. Again, a shortage of staff is impossible not to notice. Throughout my entire stay there was this one lady, Zoila, who works the breakfast shift and I must say she lifted the face of the entire hotel. After ending up at breakfast as blind as a bat and without skin she surely knows how to "charm" guests and deliver service with a smile. She really works so hard and that poor woman doesn't stop but service was still slow because she was the ONLY staff working a full breakfast room. If all staff performed like her this hotel could easily climb to a 5 star status. Management really needs to address the problem with being understaffed because this was all week long.
The weekend was a bit different as there were at least 2 staff in the breakfast room but neither were as friendly or hospitable as Zoila and the service was just the same. Slow. Even the Internet was painfully slow.
I'm not sure that I would ever stay there again or recommend this hotel to anyone who has at least average standards. I would suggest that any 5star hotel manager reading this would probably benefit a lot by trying to get Zoila to work for them.
This hotel can be much better and get very positive reviews if they address these issues.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed here as party of a coach party exploring the Cotswolds. Although I had booked in advance with my son who was booked at child rate the hotel had not catered for this. I was told he could not eat from the child menu as we were a coach party with set menu...adult ones...it took great persuasion for them reluctantly o allow him fish and chip and ice cream instead of lasagne and black forect gateax.
When you are on holiday you go to relax not to have a battle every night at meal time. By the third night we ate out even though we had paid for the meal. I would not recommend coach parties use this hotel as they are treated as persons non gratia and no compassion is shown even to children.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, green with no warddrobes... all the same.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed for one night at the hotel and from the time of arrival until I left I could not fault it. Reception was friendly and helpful, room was very clean, shower worked fine, as did the free wifi connection. Flat screen tv in room and bed comfy. Evening meal was excellent £14.95 for all you can eat buffet starter which had a great choice, I chose fish and chips main course which was huge and I have a big appetite and could not finish it followed by buffet sweet . Waiter extremely attentive and helpful. Breakfast was buffet choice for me again could not fault it, waitress very helpful as was reception for check out. For business or pleasure hotel great. Cannot understand those who have left negative feedback......ignore them!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank BERVIE4761
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I enjoy staying in Campanile. This is my fourth time that I stay in this hotel. I found the staff very helpful and friendly. Zola is very friendly in the breakfast time. She works really hard and helps everyone quickly. The reception people are all nice, too many to mention the names individually. I will definitely use this hotel when I come back to UK again. It is very close to the M4 as well as the bus stations and you can get to Outlet village within few minutes and also to town center.

Room Tip: I always use the same room cause I like the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Yasamin I
Greece
Reviewed 3 August 2011

There are some things which really have to function for a business traveler to find a hotel useful. Having a decent shower and decent internet connection is of course a must! And those two things I could not get at the Campanile. The shower was burning hot all morning, and I was trying to get a byte downloaded on my laptop for ages.
The rest was more of less decent and clean.
If you are traveling from continental Europe, do not forget to bring a UK socket adapter, they do not provide on in the hotel

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I think that 'functional' describes this hotel best. Its located on an industrial park, with free parking. Reception was rammed when I got there and the reception was doing well, but shouldn't have been on her own since there were 3 other members of staff milling about. The room I had, 11, was compact, clean, functional. Cheap pillows were a disappointment, and the room was a little too warm for my liking. But, fixtures and fittings are in good order, bathroom was clean and overall, it was a satisfactory stay. A big plus for me was brekkie starts at 6.30am, whereas a lot of hotels are 7am.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business