“great food, authentic , little Sicily in Swindon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mario's Restaurant

Mario's Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 434 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Cheap Eats, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Mario's Swindon - Old Town's oldest and finest Italian restaurant with a warm and friendly cellar atmosphere. Serving traditional Italian and Sicilian food.
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food, authentic , little Sicily in Swindon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Thank you so much for a lovely night out we recently had in MARIOS, the food was lovely, lots of fresh veg, great staff , service too was brill, loved the authentic look, reminded me of Sicily it self, would recommend but book as very popular and gets busy, Nino the Owner was the best so funny and accommodating even gave us Lemoncello after dinner, thanks again we ll be back net year.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and service - wine let it down a little”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We chose to have a night out for dinner on a Monday evening as we couldn't be bothered to cook. Our first and second choice places were closed and we chanced upon Mario's. I am glad we did, in fairness.

The service and atmosphere are both superb. The restaurant is sub-terrainian which is unique in Swindon. The food was all decent, if I am been critical my chicken main was a bit dry. The starter was brilliant. Mushrooms in dolcelatte cheese and white wine sauce which was excellent.

If I am negative on anything it was the wine. I really enjoy a good Italian red. As I was driving I only had one glass. This was the Montepulciano, which is usually very nice with fruity and light tones and a little acidity but this glass was really ropey. Very acidic and tasteless. However, if that is the only disappointment then that's not too bad.

2 Thank Greggbb
Swindon, Wilts
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have eaten here twice in the past few weeks - both weeknights. The food and service were excellent both times. Loads of choice, large portions, food is good quality and delicious. Service is terrific - our waitress was an absolute hoot! Very funny and warm (and patient!).

Will definitely be back and have already told our friends and colleagues to try it.

1 Thank DebnDaz
“Disappointing.....unimpressed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant as a group of 6 on a Saturday night. The restaurant was busy and we had a reservation, yet it took half an hour to seat us!
Our table was in what I can only describe as a table in the hallway; next to the kitchen and seemingly in the way!
The service was dreadful; the drinks prices were all over the place and it took forever for our order to be taken and actually delivered to the table. The starters were dry and our friends started of bread and olives was dumped on the table with no plate and no glimmer of customer service!
The main meals did however taste Devine! Sadly by this point most of us had enough waiting about for things like a full or working condiments on the table, enough vegetables for 4 of us to go with our main meals. I will not return to this restaurant...there are many others in swindon where I'd rather spend my hard earned cash on a special treat.

• Visited May 2014
12 Thank Claire S
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Best pizza I've ever had in Uk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I'm an Italian and I've been living in UK for few years.
I found this restaurant two years ago during a trip to Swindon. When I went to Swindon last Friday I wanted to get back to Mario's because I was still remembering the great pizza I had there.
Mario's pizza isn't only the best pizza I've ever had in UK, but better of some I had in Italy.
I red some bad comments about the service. I understand that Mario's doesn't offer the service we normally experience in a restaurant in UK and this is a shame because the place is very nice and the pizza is great.
If you want to go during the week end I recommend you to book in advance.

• Visited May 2014