“Corperate Bland”

Ranked #68 of 465 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated just off the A419 in Swindon and next to a Premier Inn Large Restaurant dining area and further space to dine in our bar area. Great choice of Menu offering lunch and evening meal deals, fantastic selection of main meals and seasonal specials. Nice size garden for the summer.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Run by a big chain
Chef and Brewer a brand of Whitbread
Beer selecetion is Ok with loacal real ales but drinks are abit on the high side.
Does meals all day which is good as a group visited at about 2:00 on a saturday when a lot of places stop.
Food was ok for price but bland standard corperate fare.
Bad point was that when re whent to order sweets we were told to pay a surchage as we had not ordered them with main course. Never had this before and all of us refused to pay. with the result that with drinks they lost over £50 of business.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Been to the Cold Harbour twice now. Food and srink have been great. Had a really nice draft cider (sorry cant remember the name) and reasonably priced. Food always homemade and very tasty. Staff fine although some come across a little inexperienced on food service but I suppose skills will come with time
Will no doubt visit again for lunch next year when in the area

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Visited cold Harbour for only the second time.The first experience some months back was below average ,but was pleasantly surprised that there had been an improvement.
There were 7 of us, and seating was prompt and quickly ordered drinks and meals.Everyone said the food was generally good ,but my steak and ale pie had a bit of a thick crust so had to eat around it.Sweet potato fries were some of the best I have had. Generally it's typical pub grub.
Still had a wait to pay the bill, like last time, but felt that the whole experience was better than before.

1  Thank mogre
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The good bit first: the food was pretty good. We were there for lunch, my beloved had chicken I had sea bass on risotto. Both happy with our meals, but they did take ages to arrive in spite of the place being almost empty.
The two young men behind the bar were pleasant enough but not really aware that customers take priority over chat. We weren't warned that we'd be waiting ages for the food, they didn't come over to see if we wanted more drink or some pudding, in fact we could probably have walked out without paying and still wouldn't have been noticed.
Disappointing as this is quite local and it would be good to have somewhere to go to regularly.
Price was at the top end of what I'd expect to pay, but too much considering the lack of service.
Oh, and in spite of a fan going full pelt the gents was smelly and dirty looking.
Looks to me like an establishment resting on its laurels, or at least relying on the attached Premier Inn for captive customers.
I hate writing negative reviews, but I really feel the Cold Harbour could be better. Give the interior a bit of a spruce up, deep clean the loos and teach those pleasant chaps behind the bar how to look after customers, then we'll be back and praising the place.
Watch this space.

1  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have been fairly regular customers at The Cold Harbour for some time now, and in general terms although the service can be a little slow the food has been fine.

However last night we went with 2 friends who were celebrating their wedding anniversary. We arrived on time at 7PM and shown to our table. We waited at least 20 minutes with no-one attending to us, so I decided to ask a waiter if I could order some drinks, which were served. Approx 15 minutes later with still no one attending to us I again had to ask a waiter if we could order some food. He took our order and the food was served within a reasonable time.

I had a burger which was fine,my wife ordered the sea bass risotto, It wasn't long before she said it wasn't very nice, the fish was over cooked, it was very dry and the crayfish tails were hard and chewy. Consequently we complained to a waiter who offered us a free desert. I said we didn't want a free desert!

With that the duty manager came over, who apologized and offered to replace it with another risotto. My wife decided that instead she would have a gammon steak as she has had gammon several times here before and it was normally thick and juicy.

But when it was served it was a tiny portion, it looked to me like a childs portion. It was overcooked and tough. So again we called for the duty manager. I commented that this gammon was not up to the usual size and quality. All she said was that "this is what the supplier had delivered" was not at all apologetic and then said "do you want me to take it away" with that she took the plate away never to be seen again!

We decided we had had enough paid the bill minus the risotto and left with my wife upset and hungry.

We will certainly think twice before returning to The Cold Harbour especially on a Saturday evening when they seem to struggle to handle the number of customers they have and the service and quality of food suffers as a result.